Thread: The Obscenity of Curves - Oversexualizing female athletes is dangerous.

The Obscenity of Curves - Oversexualizing female athletes is dangerous.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/14/o...ody-image.html

Sept. 14, 2019

A swimming pool in Arles, France, 1991

Last week, a 17-year-old champion swimmer in Anchorage was disqualified at a swim meet because of how her team swimsuit fit her body. After successfully beating her opponent in a race, Breckyn Willis of Dimond High School was stripped of her victory because her suit was deemed to have violated code: Her buttocks were exposed.

Although her win was later reinstated, the story gained national attention for the discriminatory treatment the teenager received because of her body type. The suit was the very same as the swimsuits her teammates were wearing. However, Ms. Willis was singled out because of the way it fit her body specifically. As a young woman endowed with curves, the suit simply hung differently on her frame. Instead of being evaluated and praised for her athletic merit after the win, her body was unfairly judged as transforming an ordinary swimsuit into something obscene.

While this story elicited justifiable outrage, many of us curvier women received it with empathy and a complete lack of surprise. When you have a curvier body type, you quickly become accustomed to being judged and oversexualized based solely on your appearance and the way things fit. It doesn’t matter if you are 10 years old and blooming early, 40 years old and wearing something that appears “inappropriate for your age,” or 17 years old and filling out your swimsuit in a way that’s being seen as a threat to modesty — you will carry the burden of anxiety when it comes to your body and the way it is perceived by others. The added responsibility of trying to moderate those perceptions becomes your cross to bear.

My own puberty struck early, bringing with it the crippling awareness of the way those emergent curves shaped the way I was perceived. Although our society holds a standard that romanticizes the hourglass figure, the truth is less romantic than it is salacious. You learn quickly that you will receive attention that you don’t want, haven’t invited and are little equipped to handle emotionally. Assumptions will be made about your character — and when you’re young, the truth has very little merit when it comes to schoolyard gossip. The worst part is that the other kids are not the only ones who make these judgments. Adults will also burden you with their gaze and all of the unspoken judgment it contains. I began to hate my body from an early age, and would desperately wish away those pieces of me that were “too much.”

Developing into adulthood under these circumstances, it was easy to learn a paranoia about the male gaze, and the threats that could come along with “inviting” attention. Similarly, I became keenly aware that this same attention could attract the ire of women. As my curves grew, I became uncomfortably familiar with the look in people’s eyes as they mentally stripped me down and deemed me a sexual object. I recognize that look from being a 12-year-old getting leered at by grown men, and I’m familiar with it from being given the cold shoulder by other women, deemed a lurid distraction to their boyfriends or their sons.

In my youth and still somewhat to this date, I learned to view my body as a threat, both to myself and to others. Taking care to cover those bits that act as a sexual signal felt like a necessary step to de-weaponize my body.

Although the issue of clothing may seem like a mundane one, in reality it can become a daily anxiety. You are free to dress as you like, sure, but never distant in your mind is the fact that how those clothes hug your body can be tantamount to a scarlet letter. Just as heavier women are assumed to be “unhealthy,” and skinny women are evaluated as “needing a sandwich,” you are cast as a harlot; a man-eater. A simple T-shirt over an ample bosom is rendered obscene, and you mustn’t be too tempting. Dressing becomes an exercise in people pleasing, and trying to attract the least amount of attention. Clothing simply doesn’t look the same on you.

Although I am now 36, this caution never left me, and it is as much a part of my daily routine as brushing my teeth or tying my shoes. It is with me when I go shopping and lean over in front of the fitting room mirror to ensure my chest won’t be exposed. It is with me when I wear a dress, and put shorts on underneath. It is with me when I wear loose cardigans in the summer because I feel as if there is an extra layer between my body and the eyes of those who may decide to hypersexualize me based only on my hip to waist ratio.

Ultimately, the virality of Breckyn Willis’s story led to a reversal of the decision to disqualify her. Even so, she is a teenager who was discriminated against for her shape. Her body, and whether it fit “acceptably” into a sports uniform, has made national headlines. The damage has been done. This wasn’t the first time she was objectified by adults on the basis of her figure. The sad reality is that it probably won’t be the last.

One can only hope that the attention this story is getting is serving the purpose of amplifying just how pervasive the stigma toward the female body can be. At the very least, the institutions that are set up to serve young women should be a safe space that protects their dignity and self-esteem. This means that schools and sports teams should be mindful that they aren’t ostracizing girls based on arbitrary modesty codes that have the effect of penalizing certain body types. When they do this, they are not only participating in the oversexualization of these girls, but they give power to the negative attitudes toward curvier body types by turning them into policy.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The real races reveal themselves every day
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I went to a fundie school. I went to a fundie church. I taught at a fundie school. Late in the year girls were often sent home for dress code violations simply because they grew during the year. The clothing would be fine in an other setting. I am surrounded by fundie thinking. Modesty is often a competition and a measure of spirituality.

I agree that oversexualization of female athletes is bad. It is wrong to oversexualize and objectify anyone.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

One of these two needs to be disqualified for being way too damn hot.

.....and female.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 09-15-2019 at 05:02 PM.

A coach of another team posted that this has been an ongoing issue, that the girl and family had been warned many times over the season/past years and that it was not a matter of the suit "not fitting" due to her body type; but rather that it was purposefully being worn incorrect. Of course I haven't seen any pics so I have no have no real opinion on if that is true or not. I have seen many girls in many body types wearing competition swim suits and I have never seen a body type that forced the suit fully into the buttcrack -- especially before the swim itself -- as to violate this rule.

Specifically with regard to athletes, here’s a rundown:

Track and field: Males wear a singlet and shorts. Females can wear that, but they are mostly wearing spandex panties and sports bras.

Swimming: I’m not sure how this works for high school, but the trend is to cover as much as possible. The new fabrics are designed to slide through the water better than human skin. The Olympic-level governing body felt this created an unfair advantage, so now the rule is that men may only wear a modified swim trunk wait to knees. Women can have a swimsuit with legs, only down to the knees. Badly explained, but I think you get what I mean.

Diving: Men wear tiny little Speedos and women wear a traditional swimsuit.

Figure skating changed the rules so that women can now wear unitards/body suits. Previously women had to have an outfit with a skirt.

I’m not sure what rules governed this school district’s swimsuits. If it’s not in the rules, there can be no disqualification. Likely this girl has used the same suit for a while. Fabric breaks down with continued exposure to chlorine, and she probably grew a bit. It happens.
    #NashvilleStrong

Doing a little more research, apparently swimsuit creep (it’s a thing) was a problem for many swimmers. It’s really hard to get a good fit for a curvy girl. Swimsuit fabric is a developing technology, and so is design. The water should funnel over the body to eliminate drag, which is what you get if the top doesn’t fit well. We used to tie our straps together in the back so we could get better glide. This pulled our suits tighter from the bottom.

And it’s not always the curves. Proportionally if a girl has a longer torso, she will experience suit creep. Today’s elite swimmers generally wear suits with legs, kind of like bicycle shorts at the bottom. They wear suits that are 1-2 sizes too small so the suits fit tighter. That eliminates drag.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Specifically with regard to athletes, here’s a rundown:

Track and field: Males wear a singlet and shorts. Females can wear that, but they are mostly wearing spandex panties and sports bras.

Swimming: I’m not sure how this works for high school, but the trend is to cover as much as possible. The new fabrics are designed to slide through the water better than human skin. The Olympic-level governing body felt this created an unfair advantage, so now the rule is that men may only wear a modified swim trunk wait to knees. Women can have a swimsuit with legs, only down to the knees. Badly explained, but I think you get what I mean.

Diving: Men wear tiny little Speedos and women wear a traditional swimsuit.

Figure skating changed the rules so that women can now wear unitards/body suits. Previously women had to have an outfit with a skirt.

I’m not sure what rules governed this school district’s swimsuits. If it’s not in the rules, there can be no disqualification. Likely this girl has used the same suit for a while. Fabric breaks down with continued exposure to chlorine, and she probably grew a bit. It happens.
    Oh it is in the rules and the rule basically states that you can't see the two buttcheeks touch each other.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think the bent toward thongs and just showing lots of ass, etc is a huge fail , not sexy at all,
    especially since most women have way to much cellulite and jellow around there, the sexiest thing to me
    is a bit of coverage/modesty , like a more traditional one piece, when worn by a truly
    hot , (sans the tongue, nose, lip ring and neck tats) babe, nothing is sexier.

Pics or GTFO
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Pics or GTFO
    Indeed, pictures or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Oh it is in the rules and the rule basically states that you can't see the two buttcheeks touch each other.
    I did a little more reading on this particular case. There were many swimmers who has suit creep at that meet, but only one disqualification. Go to the longer suit and problem solved.

It’s generally a rule in gymnastics, too. I know some clubs where parents pay extra to have a special lining sewn into the leotards.

But the point is about objectifying girls. I’m not sure what else they are going to do. I wonder what the boys wear.
    Last edited by euphemia; 09-15-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

I did a little more reading on this particular case. There were many swimmers who has suit creep at that meet, but only one disqualification. Go to the longer suit and problem solved.

It’s generally a rule in gymnastics, too. I know some clubs where parents pay extra to have a special lining sewn into the leotards.

But the point is about objectifying girls. I’m not sure what else they are going to do. I wonder what the boys wear.
    Usually the boys have a choice of wearing "jammers" basically the same as bike shorts OR the old school briefs.

As to this story, as I mentioned another coach said she had been warned.
    https://medium.com/@angelmock/i-am-a...7b#--responses
    excerpt:
    I am a former age group swim coach in Alaska, and have shared the swimming pool deck with Ms. Langford. I have to say that our views and perceptions on this topic are very different. I am a former collegiate swimmer, and have been coaching swimming for the last 6 years. I have seen many different suit styles come and go through my years. The issue that Alaska swimming is having right now, has nothing to do with racism, body shaming, or sexism. It is the fact that the child being written about has not been wearing the “uniform” or swimsuit the way it was made or meant to be worn. In my opinion, it is, and has been obvious to swimmers, parents, coaches and officials that the swim suit worn by this swimmer is purposefully placed in a manner to expose more area. I have personally witnessed this swimmer’s suit and can say that it is not being worn in the intended manner. USA swimming has put guidelines in place for us to follow involving coverage of swim suits, and these guidelines have been ignored.
    There are a couple of things that I think Ms. Langford failed to mention in her article. First, the fact that this swimmer had been warned on more than one occasion that even though the suit was within FINA guidelines, the placement of the suit was not.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 09-15-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Oversexualizing?

or hiding from sexuality?

I can't tell.

What's next.. Skirts on chairs and tables to hide their legs?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

That eliminates drag.
    Swim Naked..

Eliminate any foreign resistance.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I began to hate my body from an early age, and would desperately wish away those pieces of me that were “too much.”

Developing into adulthood under these circumstances, it was easy to learn a paranoia about the male gaze, and the threats that could come along with “inviting” attention. Similarly, I became keenly aware that this same attention could attract the ire of women. As my curves grew, I became uncomfortably familiar with the look in people’s eyes as they mentally stripped me down and deemed me a sexual object. I recognize that look from being a 12-year-old getting leered at by grown men, and I’m familiar with it from being given the cold shoulder by other women, deemed a lurid distraction to their boyfriends or their sons.

In my youth and still somewhat to this date, I learned to view my body as a threat, both to myself and to others. Taking care to cover those bits that act as a sexual signal felt like a necessary step to de-weaponize my body.
    This author has issues, and is just projecting her problems onto this situation.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    This author has issues, and is just projecting her problems onto this situation.

I began to hate my body from an early age, and would desperately wish away those pieces of me that were “too much.”

Michael Moore

According to local sources, several swimmers had swimsuit creep, but there was only on DQ. According to universal rules, a DQ must be made before the race. Willis won the final of her event. According to the rules, she could not be disqualified at that point. Again, one of the local sources reported the judge’s credential may be revoked.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Swim Naked..

Eliminate any foreign resistance.
    This.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

"Swimsuit Creep"

well,, I haven't been accused of That yet.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    "Swimsuit Creep"

well,, I haven't been accused of That yet.
    It’s a thing.
    #NashvilleStrong