Thread: Engineers Just Unveiled a New Blackest-Ever Material, Even Darker Than Vantablack

Engineers Just Unveiled a New Blackest-Ever Material, Even Darker Than Vantablack

You might think you already know black – even super-black Vantablack, previously the blackest material known to science – but researchers just came up with a material that takes black to a new level of blackness.
    The new, as-yet-unnamed ultra-black material is made from vertically aligned carbon nanotubes (CNTs), microscopic carbon strings that are a little like a fuzzy forest of tiny trees, according to the team behind the project.
    And here's the rub – this CNT material can absorb more than 99.995 percent of incoming light, beating the 99.96 percent that Vantablack is able to absorb.
    "In other words, it reflected 10 times less light than all other superblack materials, including Vantablack," explains an MIT release.
    Like some of the best scientific discoveries, this record-setting black stuff was discovered by accident.
    The researchers were looking at ways to grow CNTs on electrically conductive materials like aluminium, and it was during these experiments that they noticed the blackness of the materials they were growing on specially treated aluminium foil.
    "I remember noticing how black it was before growing carbon nanotubes on it, and then after growth, it looked even darker," says mechanical engineer Kehang Cui, from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China. "So I thought I should measure the optical reflectance of the sample."
    That's when the ultra-powerful light absorption properties were recorded – from every possible angle, the material soaked up virtually all the light directed at it.

What's not clear is why the material is like this. It might be the way that the etched aluminium, on which the oxide layer is removed, combines with the carbon nanotubes in some way, but more research is going to be needed to know for sure.
    In the meantime, the new record-setting black is on show at an art exhibition in New York called The Redemption of Vanity.

Of course the potential uses for super-black materials go far beyond art exhibits. Removing light and glare is essential in optical instruments such as cameras and telescopes, and it's possible that the new material could be used to keep light away from space telescopes.

More at: https://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...l-ever-created
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does this change the Door's song?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You might think you already know black – even super-black Vantablack, previously the blackest material known to science – but researchers just came up with a material that takes black to a new level of blackness.
    The new, as-yet-unnamed ultra-black material is made from vertically aligned carbon nanotubes (CNTs), microscopic carbon strings that are a little like a fuzzy forest of tiny trees, according to the team behind the project.
    And here's the rub – this CNT material can absorb more than 99.995 percent of incoming light, beating the 99.96 percent that Vantablack is able to absorb.
    "In other words, it reflected 10 times less light than all other superblack materials, including Vantablack," explains an MIT release.
    Like some of the best scientific discoveries, this record-setting black stuff was discovered by accident.
    The researchers were looking at ways to grow CNTs on electrically conductive materials like aluminium, and it was during these experiments that they noticed the blackness of the materials they were growing on specially treated aluminium foil.
    "I remember noticing how black it was before growing carbon nanotubes on it, and then after growth, it looked even darker," says mechanical engineer Kehang Cui, from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China. "So I thought I should measure the optical reflectance of the sample."
    That's when the ultra-powerful light absorption properties were recorded – from every possible angle, the material soaked up virtually all the light directed at it.

What's not clear is why the material is like this. It might be the way that the etched aluminium, on which the oxide layer is removed, combines with the carbon nanotubes in some way, but more research is going to be needed to know for sure.
    In the meantime, the new record-setting black is on show at an art exhibition in New York called The Redemption of Vanity.

Of course the potential uses for super-black materials go far beyond art exhibits. Removing light and glare is essential in optical instruments such as cameras and telescopes, and it's possible that the new material could be used to keep light away from space telescopes.

More at: https://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...l-ever-created
    Darker than Vantablack?
    Vantablack:
    (from the link)

That picture is a bit...unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Darker than Vantablack?
    Vantablack:
    (from the link)

That picture is a bit...unsettling.
    Darker.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Darker than Nigerians?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Darker than Nigerians?
    I will have to defer to @Danke on that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment