Thread: Waste From Solar Panels: 300 Times That of Nuclear Power

Waste From Solar Panels: 300 Times That of Nuclear Power

Last November, Japan’s Environment Ministry issued a stark warning: the amount of solar panel waste Japan produces every year will rise from 10,000 to 800,000 tons by 2040, and the nation has no plan for safely disposing of it.
    Neither does California, a world leader in deploying solar panels. Only Europe requires solar panel makers to collect and dispose of solar waste at the end of their lives.
    All of which begs the question: just how big of a problem is solar waste?
    Environmental Progress investigated the problem to see how the problem compared to the much more high-profile issue of nuclear waste.
    We found:

• Solar panels create 300 times more toxic waste per unit of energy than do nuclear power plants.
    • If solar and nuclear produce the same amount of electricity over the next 25 years that nuclear produced in 2016, and the wastes are stacked on football fields, the nuclear waste would reach the height of the Leaning Tower of Pisa (52 meters), while the solar waste would reach the height of two Mt. Everests (16 km).
    • In countries like China, India, and Ghana, communities living near e-waste dumps often burn the waste in order to salvage the valuable copper wires for resale. Since this process requires burning off the plastic, the resulting smoke contains toxic fumes that are carcinogenic and teratogenic (birth defect-causing) when inhaled.

More at: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/...nuclear-power/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Radioactive is slightly more dangerous than toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    Radioactive is slightly more dangerous than toxic.
    But it can be disposed of easily and safely.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I'm all for nuclear, but disposing of the waste is not easy.

There is nothing clean, safe , responsible, nor affordable in Nuclear Power, its Armageddon evil.
    I'd use it on military subs perhaps, but can't think of anything outside of that application that
    makes any kind of responsible sense.
    It's a great Globalist tool though, it makes grids look feasible, and then again big grids fail
    on a grand scale, big grids are what Globalist are all about.

I've also been saying Solar isn't there yet , and now the truth is being exposed as to the real
    cost of solar.

If you've ever read the great sales pitch stories of how all these happy home owners get signed
    up and can't believe how great they are, I've never read on customer saying he used them
    for 20 years and is now getting an actual payback.
    I think for the most part, unless you need it for living off grid, it's not up to speed, when you consider
    the very low efficiency marks, the environmental impact of developing and manufacturing and then
    of course as pointed out in this article, lol, the disposal, where is the win win win blsht , where is
    the end of 'that rainbow' .

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Depends on the form and nuclides involved. The original post from the Environmental Progress student is crap as well. He should have gotten an "I" grade on his dabbling into journalism. Rare earths mining and processing produces waste with radioactivity several orders of magnitude greater than what the public is allowed to be exposed to if the same material was generated through nuclear power. Like everything else, the political elites have set up special sets of rules for industries they like (in this case the rare earths required for the wind and solar industries) and another set for those they don't. At least Luddites are consistent in their hatred of all modern technologies. All others are just treated as marionettes to be manipulated by their betters.

Radiological Impacts and Regulation of Rare Earth Elements in Non-Nuclear Energy Production
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

I would never use solar panels.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I would never use solar panels.
    To me they are for when you cannot get access to coal fired electric . Otherwise , ya .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Depends on the form and nuclides involved. The original post from the Environmental Progress student is crap as well. He should have gotten an "I" grade on his dabbling into journalism. Rare earths mining and processing produces waste with radioactivity several orders of magnitude greater than what the public is allowed to be exposed to if the same material was generated through nuclear power. Like everything else, the political elites have set up special sets of rules for industries they like (in this case the rare earths required for the wind and solar industries) and another set for those they don't. At least Luddites are consistent in their hatred of all modern technologies. All others are just treated as marionettes to be manipulated by their betters.

Radiological Impacts and Regulation of Rare Earth Elements in Non-Nuclear Energy Production
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

XNN
    I'm smart enough to know I'm ignorant on both types of energy generation...

What I do know is there's no free lunches...This idea that "I'll pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." Is what it appears we're dealing with.

I have been playing with solar for quite some time. I sale and generate leads for companies that sell solar systems. I do believe that solar technology is not there yet. I believe a system could be much smaller and cheaper than what is on the market. I have a few panels, batteries, and inverters. I like the portable sets that are on the market but mostly they are cell phone and lap top chargers.

I don't think tptb will ever let alternative energy be free. They will never be satisfied for the people to have free anything much less free power.

I have no doubt that portable powerful solar, hydrogen and, magnetic generators have been developed but you can't have one unless you have the skill and knowledge to make one yourself. Yes they are dangerous just like everything else including our food and main stream medicine but, that doesn't stop anybody but a few from relying on it. I am sure the technology will be used in government owned and operated surveillance of the public though. It will never be used for the good of mankind. Oh I am getting really tired...