Thread: President should serve

President should serve

One 6 year term. No need to spend 2 years campaigning. One 6 year term and out. What do you think?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No.

Term limits are terrible, six years of a lame duck not needing to care about re-election is a horrible idea.
    The public has such a short attention span that the President should either have no fixed term and be removable at any given time or he should have to run every year if we are going to change away from four year terms.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I think a decade is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    Who cares? You're not from here.
    "The Patriarch"

Nobody cares what a slave like you thinks.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    No.

Term limits are terrible, six years of a lame duck not needing to care about re-election is a horrible idea.
    The public has such a short attention span that the President should either have no fixed term and be removable at any given time or he should have to run every year if we are going to change away from four year terms.
    Voting every year would be a dream come true
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Unlikely, may be three years.

Unlikely, may be three years.
    Nobody cares what you think.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Voting every year would be a dream come true
    What they should do is let everyone vote once every day.

Then, at the end of each EY (Electoral Year - sort of like FY for "Fiscal Year"), they add up all the votes and the winner gets to be President for the next EY. (They could even release quarterly reports for running vote totals.)

That way, when someone says something like, "electronic cigarettes are not useful for hunting - as such, they are not protected under the 2nd Amendment and should therefore be banned," then we can vote for that person on that day. But then, if the next day the same person says something like, "We should not invade and conquer Canada just because they don't know how to make bacon right," then we can vote against that person on that day.

What's really great about this system is that we won't get hung up wondering what to do when we agree with Candidate X on Issue A but not on Issue B, and we agree with Candidate Y on Issue B but not on Issue A. Just vote really hard for X (and against Y) because of A on Monday, and then vote really hard for Y (and against X) because of B on Tuesday. Rinse and repeat, every day throughout the year. Problem solved!
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-17-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

A single term has the potential advantage of liberating politicians from their illiberal constituencies post-election. On the other hand, under such a system, those constituencies would be more careful in choosing representatives; i.e. they'd look for true believers (who would carry out the wishes of the constituency voluntarily, rather than only under external pressure). So, I don't know that it would make much of a difference. On the other hand, I don't see any harm in it. And if there were to be a single term limit, the length of the term should indeed be extended, to maintain regime certainty in the face of higher turnover.