Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Orange Car Guy

Exclamation The Orange Car Guy

The Orange Car Guy

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2019...range-car-guy/

By eric - September 7, 2019

Some people are single issue voters; if a candidate is in line with them on guns, for instance, they’ll support that candidate even if on other topics they’re as far apart as a Chevette and a Corvette.

This brings us to Trump.

If you care about cars, he’s your guy. He may not be a Car Guy, per se – but he’s the only guy who isn’t an obvious enemy of Car Guys.

Like his predecessor, for instance.

Barack Obama – after his anointed successor lost the election – had his regulatory apparat fatwa a near-doubling of federal mandatory minimum gas mileage requirements (CAFE) out of pure spite, to punish the filthy deplorables who didn’t elect her – and who continued to express their lack of interest in high-mileage-uber-alles cars by not buying the ones which were – and still are – available.

Like the Toyota Prius hybrid, for instance.

Great gas mileage – but not much fun. Can’t do much with it – other than get good gas mileage. Many people want more than that.

So it’s not that high-mileage vehicles like the Prius aren’t being offered because the car companies want to deny Americans high-mileage cars in favor of “gas guzzlers” – the lie behind the CAFE reg.

The truth is people just aren’t buying them much. . . because they’re not much fun and can’t do very much, besides get good gas mileage. A Prius can’t tow . . . anything. It doesn’t go off-road or get to 60 in five seconds or even eight.

Toyota sells about 1,500 Priuii per month. Ford sells about 60,000 F-150 trucks per month.

Not a typo.

The purpose of nearly doubling the CAFE fatwa from about 35 MPG to nearly 50 MPG – and in just five years’ time; the fatwa goes into effect in 2025 – wasn’t to make the industry produce cars that get great gas mileage; the industry already does.

It was to regulate out of existence the ones that don’t – which are the cars most Americans (and all American Car Guys) are very much interested in buying despite their not averaging 50 MPG.

It’s exactly as if the government spewed a fatwa tripling the cost of cheeseburgers to “nudge” people toward soy burgers.

No outright ban on large cars, V8 SUVs and pick-ups. Too obvious – and much too clumsy. People might object such a direct approach. The coercive utopians are far more clever than they used to be.

So couch an effective ban in terms of “increased gas mileage” – What could be the harm? Doesn’t everyone want increased gas mileage”? Nevermind that it’s not possible – absent Mr. Fusion – for a big car, V8 SUV or pick-up to average even 30 MPG without being radically downsized, de-powered or otherwise gimped and becoming something very much like . . . a Prius.

But just in case, add to the mix a confusing but effective guilt-trip: The fatwa would also “lower vehicle exhaust emissions” – and who could possibly oppose that? That’s how it’s been presented by the complicit – or derelict – media.

Of course, the “emissions” are not the ones most people associate with that word – i.e., the things which create smog and make it harder to breath. Instead, carbon dioxide – a non-reactive gas (and less than 1 percent of the Earth’s atmosphere, of which the tiniest fraction is “emitted” by human-made stuff like cars) that was never described as an “emission” until about five years ago, when it become politically necessary to do so because the emissions of things that do cause smog and respiratory problems – and so were actual problems – had been almost completely eliminated from vehicle exhaust.

This was a problem because it eliminated the justification for the War on Cars (and Driving) which non-Car Guys like Obama and the ugsome squad of pending claimants to the throne very much wanted to ramp up, not dial back down.

Cars – and driving them, when it’s us doing it – are disliked by people like Obama because they run counter to the control of everything that is their heart’s most fervent desire – although this is always couched in oily euphemisms about “discussions” and “communities” and other such politcial brummagemisms.

It’s insufferable. Makes one want to – as Mencken once put it – raise the Jolly Roger and slit throats.

You and I aren’t part of the “discussion” – the terms of which (and so the outcome) have already been decided. The “community” means those elitists like Obama, who just bought a $14 million dollar compound adjacent to the Kennedy compound – how big is this joint’s “carbon footprint”? – who regard those not in their “community” as the help, at best.

But no outright ban.

It would still be perfectly legal to build them – even if they didn’t average close to 50 MPG, as demanded by the federal fatwa.

Just prohibitively expensive – because of a tripling of the fines imposed on them for “noncompliance.”

Also fatwa’d by the Car-Hater who preceded the Orange Man.

Which would result in what was wanted – a de facto ban on the kinds of cars that Car Guys like by making them too expensive to build, except in small handfuls for very rich people . . . like Barack Obama.

Well, the Orange Man is fighting this.

He did what none of the other tools on the stage back in 2016 would have: He rescinded the fatwa tripling the fines that would have applied to “compliant” cars – that is, cars that didn’t average close to 50 MPG by 2025 – thereby kicking the teeth out of the 50 MPG fatwa.

He also has been trying to prevent the 50 MPG federal fatwa from remaining in effect – outraging the Car Haters, which ought to earn him points with anyone who hates them.

He has “denied” the imminence of apocalyptic “climate change.” You can still hear the keening this triggered.

The latest news is he’s using anti-trust laws to go after the four car companies who seem to also hate cars – Ford, Honda, VW and BMW – who are in league with the Car Haters in California, who want both fatwas to remain in force. These four agreed to “voluntarily” impose the fatwas upon on themselves – even if the federal ones are repealed.

Why would companies that build cars “voluntarily” hairshirt themselves this way? It’s not because they’re “concerned” about either gas mileage or carbon dioxide “emissions.” Set that nonsense aside. It’s for consumption by idiot children, including those well past puberty.

It’s not hairshirting. It’s rent-seeking.

These four see their future earnings coming not from selling people cars but selling them rides. Ideally, in a government-mandated automated electric car that will be crushed very four years. See here if you dinna believe me. Straight from the horse’s mouth.

It is far more profitable to rent one car to scores of people every month than it is to collect a single car payment from one person every month. And to throw away – and replace – cars every four years, like a no-longer-supported smartphone – than for people to own cars for years after they paid them off.

Do you begin to see?

And the Orange Man has been fighting all of this.

He may not be a Car Guy, but he is without question the best friend anyone who gives a damn about cars and driving has had in the White House since Calvin Coolidge (a most under-rated president).

He deserves the support, therefore, of everyone who still gives a damn about cars and driving and the freedom (such as remains) embodied by both, which is on the knife’s edge of being taken away for good.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Trumps done more for deregulation than any president in our lifetime.

So, there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Trumps done more for deregulation than any president in our lifetime.

So, there is that.
    All the whip-wielding regulators and rule-makers will get a "do over" once Trump is no longer the chief overseer of the Executive plantation.

Trump hasn't done anything to address the root of the problem (which is overweening government authority over ... well, pretty much everything).

He probably couldn't succeed even if he tried. No one could. Some things just get broken beyond any possibility of repair.

So enjoy it while you can. It's not going to last.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    All the whip-wielding regulators and rule-makers will get a "do over" once Trump is no longer the chief overseer of the Executive plantation.
    Trump hasn't done anything to address the root of the problem (which is overweening government authority over ... well, pretty much everything).
    He probably couldn't succeed even if he tried. No one could. Some things just get broken beyond any possibility of repair.
    put a punchbowl somewhere, anywhere, and a libertarian will always show up to take a $#@! in it.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    put a punchbowl somewhere, anywhere, and a libertarian will always show up to take a $#@! in it.

Orange Man Good. The problem is that one day he will be gone...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

*shrug* Sorry if i harshed your feelz.

Was anything I said false or wrong?

Was anything I said false or wrong?
    I didn't imply any such thing.
    BUT, I am of the opinion that if you get rid of useless, evil regulation and the world does NOT end, it is something worth promoting and might just get more mundanes on your side.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Orange Man Good.
    It doesn't really have anything to do with the Orange Man (Good or Bad). Like I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The problem is that one day he will be gone...
    My point exactly. He will be gone. The problem will remain. So what has changed?

BUT, I am of the opinion that if you get rid of useless, evil regulation and the world does NOT end, it is something worth promoting and might just get more mundanes on your side.
    And I said nothing to the contrary.

so all we are left with is the turd in the punchbowl.

The way I read this post is this. Trump can't change the system we have with regards to the powers of the executive to regulate even if he tried but he is doing a good job deregulating. Essentially Trump is doing the best he can possibly do. I would be overjoyed for Trump if I believed this to be true.

Whatever that's supposed to mean ...

I prefer to look at it as being left with a greater awareness of the reality of the situation which in turn presents us with a golden opportunity to use that awareness to formulate better ways to circumvent the political vicisditudes of the situation and actually strike at the root of the problem. But I tend to be optimistic on these things.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    I prefer to look at it as being left with a greater awareness of the reality of the situation which in turn presents us with a golden opportunity to use that awareness to formulate better ways to circumvent the political vicisditudes of the situation and actually strike at the root of the problem. But I tend to be optimistic on these things.
    yeah, cuz because the people on this site need to be educated as to reality of the situation. I'll take the progress, promote it, and encourage it.

Only one?
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He did what none of the other tools on the stage back in 2016 would have: He rescinded the fatwa tripling the fines that would have applied to “compliant” cars – that is, cars that didn’t average close to 50 MPG by 2025 – thereby kicking the teeth out of the 50 MPG fatwa.
    Love this part of the article the most, Trump was definitely the best man for the job, everyone else was a tool(most likely of the deep state) who deregulated more than any other person in the race. And if you don't believe this, you are an American hate, left wing, soy drinking, late sipping, pee while sitting down loony with a severe case of TDS

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The way I read this post is this. Trump can't change the system we have with regards to the powers of the executive to regulate even if he tried but he is doing a good job deregulating. Essentially Trump is doing the best he can possibly do. I would be overjoyed for Trump if I believed this to be true.
    I'm glad he's deregulating some things. I'm glad whenever anyone does that.
    Whether you want to interpret that as me saying "he is doing a good job" is up to you.
    But at best, it's like the eye of a hurricane. It's going to pass, because nothing has fundamentally changed.

As for "Trump is doing the best he can possibly do," I said nothing of the sort - though I suppose you could say such a thing and I might agree, IF you were careful to understand the difference between "the best he can possibly do" (him being a half-assed wiffle-waffler) and "the best that might be done" (if he wasn't such a half-assed wiffle-waffler).

I'm glad he's deregulating some things. I'm glad whenever anyone does that.
    Whether you want to interpret that as me saying "he is doing a good job" is up to you.
    But at best, it's like the eye of a hurricane. It's going to pass, because nothing has fundamentally changed.

As for "Trump is doing the best he can possibly do," I said nothing of the sort - though I suppose you could say such a thing and I might agree, IF you were careful to understand the difference between "the best he can possibly do" (him being a half-assed wiffle-waffler) and "the best that might be done" (if he wasn't such a half-assed wiffle-waffler).
    The point that struck me in your post is that part where you seem to suggest that the half-assed wiffle-waffler or anyone for that matter couldn't succeed at changing the system. I disagree with it, I don't think it would be an easy task or even take one administration to accomplish. But if he spent half the time he uses to pick petty fights on twitter to explain to the American people what is going on, he and/or his succession would have a chance of succeeding. Also, had he done a much better job of governing, communication and educating the American people he would have a much better chance of victory. He could also leave a protege of himself that the American people can elect after his term is over.

He is doing barely nothing to change the system and I am not OK with that

I have been reading some articles about this story from sources I consider to be far less hysterical about Trump and it seems like he froze an increase in the penalty that was about to come on. This means that the fines did not go away just the increase in the fines went away. The standards for car manufacturers to be more fuel efficient is still there.

I am a bit too lazy to post all that I read into a neat digestible post so I will resort to just posting links. I will come back to this if I am in the mood.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1U801U

Not one mention of fatwas in the whole article. And you are very welcomed

And as for Trump's deregulations, I'd trade them all - each and every one of them - for a vehement, full-throated, no-holds-barred, damn-all-compromise opposition to any and all further curtailments of our gun rights (and an equally vehement support for the repeal or negation of the ones which are already in place). But Trump's mealy-mouthed, half-assed gun grabbery is a liability the consequences of which will overwhelmingly offset the transient iota of miscellaneous regulatory relief he has implemented.

(So put that in your punchbowl and drink it ... )

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The point that struck me in your post is that part where you seem to suggest that the half-assed wiffle-waffler or anyone for that matter couldn't succeed at changing the system. I disagree with it, [...]
    And I counter-disagree. The system is broken beyond repair and things have passed the point of no return.

At best, It can only be duct-taped and WD-40'ed before it is finally discarded, falls apart or becomes something even worse.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-14-2019 at 10:27 AM.

yeah, cuz because the people on this site need to be educated as to reality of the situation. I'll take the progress, promote it, and encourage it.

So, that would be a pass on the golden opportunity, once again, for you then? And some wonder why the so-called "liberty movement" has such a dismal record of failure over the last 50+ years.

"Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die."
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

And as for Trump's deregulations, I'd trade them all - each and every one of them - for a vehement, full-throated, no-holds-barred, damn-all-compromise opposition to any and all further curtailments of our gun rights (and an equally vehement support for the repeal or negation of the ones which are already in place). But Trump's mealy-mouthed, half-assed gun grabbery is a liability the consequences of which will overwhelmingly offset the transient iota of miscellaneous regulatory relief he has implemented.

(So put that in your punchbowl and drink it ... )

Completely agree.
    Chris

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It doesn't really have anything to do with the Orange Man (Good or Bad). Like I said:

My point exactly. He will be gone. The problem will remain. So what has changed?
    Whatever that's supposed to mean ...

I didn't say what you don't think I didn't say, and that's my point, if you don't get what I'm
    not trying to say, cause I didn't.

Not a fair reply.

Sure, Trump is a good man , but;

Hillary is not even indicted, nor Comey, Mueller, Lynch, etc
    DHS TSA NSA NDAA PATRIOT ACT FBI are alive and growing
    End of Due Process alive under patriot act and suggested
    by Trump to use it 'later' ....
    Asset Forfeiture, police home invasions
    Holds Isreal First, completely ignores their war crimes,
    endorses Israels land robberies, and illegal occupation
    of it's neighbors.
    Obama Care was no repealed, it was modified, to be re modified
    later by socialists, had he killed it like we had expected it wouldn't
    be so easy to re mod.
    IRS Code was not simplified as he had implied.
    Our Troops are not home, we are still all over the Globe.
    Swamp is deeper.

What's good;
    Trump helped wake up a lot of people, got the
    liberals to show their hand.

Thumbed his nose at Paris Accord.
    Some progress on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Orange Man never mentions Agenda 21 2030, which is the real driving force behind our future autonomous electric car utopia. Presidents come and go, temporarily fiddle with policies for political expedience but the real force is never mentioned. Often, the fiddling itself is for the purpose of furthering A2030, even.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Life is a turd in a punchbowl get used to it.

I ain't even finished my first glass.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

"All or nothing" libertarians never get it all (because that isn't reasonably possible) and so they are only happy when they get nothing, getting something actually makes them mad.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast