Thread: Britain looks to restore ship-building industry with new frigates

Britain looks to restore ship-building industry with new frigates

Britain will announce on Thursday the preferred bidder for the design of the new Type 31 frigate, the government said, as it looks to rebuild its once-mighty shipbuilding industry.Babcock, BAE Systems and Atlas Elektronik UK have all submitted designs for the frigate.
    They will be built in Britain and the government will buy at least five, with the first set to be in the water by 2023.
    "(The) UK is an outward-looking island nation, and we need a shipbuilding industry and Royal Navy that reflect the importance of the seas to our security and prosperity," Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in a statement.
    "I am convinced that by working together we will see a renaissance in this industry which is so much part of our island story Ė so let's bring shipbuilding home."
    The programme will support over 2,500 jobs across the UK, including its supply chain, with all the different parts of the frigates being assembled and built at British shipyards.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/britain-looks...213000866.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Well that isn't going to end, now is it.

Building an industry on the backs on govt demands. That is sure to end in economic success. They should try building civilian shops like yachts and cruise ships instead.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Building an industry on the backs on govt demands. That is sure to end in economic success. They should try building civilian shops like yachts and cruise ships instead.
    They know the US is going to pick up its toys and go home and they will need to provide for their own defense.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment