Thread: The next target in the climate-change debate: your gas stove

The next target in the climate-change debate: your gas stove

WASHINGTON/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Dozens of cities in liberal-leaning states such as California, Washington, and Massachusetts are studying proposals to ban or limit the use of natural gas in commercial and residential buildings. The movement opens a new front in the fight against climate change that could affect everything from heating systems in skyscrapers to stoves in suburban homes.

Berkeley, California, in July became the first U.S. city to pass an ordinance banning gas systems in new buildings, and it may soon be followed by many others, according to interviews with local officials, activists and industry groups. Los Angeles and Seattle are among those considering laws that could drastically reduce natural gas consumption.

"Berkeley is the opening salvo," said Bruce Nilles, managing director of think tank Rocky Mountain Institute’s building electrification program.
    Local officials and environmentalists cite mounting evidence that unburned gas leaking from pipes and compressor stations harms the climate more than carbon dioxide, the byproduct of burned fossil fuels.

Many environmentalists until recently considered natural gas a "bridge fuel" to a future of renewable energy because gas burns cleaner than oil or coal. Now local officials are stepping into what they call a federal regulatory void under the administration of President Donald Trump, who argues fossil-fuel restrictions needlessly damage the economy.

They want buildings switched to electric power from a grid that is increasingly powered by renewable energy. U.S. utilities currently derive about 35% of their electricity from gas but have also nearly doubled their use of renewable fuels in the past decade, from 9% to 17% of all power, according to the EIA.

Residential and commercial buildings account for about 12% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. They are also crucial to natural gas sales: Direct gas consumption amounted to about 8.45 trillion cubic feet in 2018, rivaling the 10.63 tcf used by utilities to power the grid, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).

If gas bans in buildings become widespread, they could upend the business models of some of the world's biggest energy companies, which are investing billions of dollars to produce and ship more natural gas on the belief the fuel will play a key role in the transition to a cleaner energy economy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/next-targ...113908968.html
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I always thought they advertised natural gas as clean energy. Weren't cities converting vehicles and buses to run on natural gas a few years ago?

No coal, wood stoves, natural gas, propane. Hmm. I wonder if they want you plugged in to their grid for some reason?

This just boggles my mind. Just think what the strain on the already burdened power grid would be. They are already asking for people to cut back power consumption and even asking people to sign up for mandatory cut backs.

And can’t wait to see Gordon Ramsey cooking on a electric cooktop stove...
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Hell no . I always try to use nat gas water heaters and stoves . When the power is out you can still take a hot shower and them make bacon & eggs before work . Electric is more expensive and less efficient. For homes with electric water heaters , probably 20 percent of your bill is that $#@!ty water heater and if the power is out you hsve to go outside to cook anything .
    Do something Danke

Keep your hands off my gas stove. I need that to cook most of my food. I'm not going back to the olden days of cooking food outside on a large fire.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 09-11-2019 at 07:12 AM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Vote these people out

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Vote these people out

How the hell do you think they got there?
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Hell no . I always try to use nat gas water heaters and stoves . When the power is out you can still take a hot shower and them make bacon & eggs before work . Electric is more expensive and less efficient. For homes with electric water heaters , probably 20 percent of your bill is that $#@!ty water heater and if the power is out you hsve to go outside to cook anything .
    Wise words. And in a pinch you can even heat your house with that gas stove if power is out in the winter. I did just that after hurricane sandy.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    This just boggles my mind. Just think what the strain on the already burdened power grid would be. They are already asking for people to cut back power consumption and even asking people to sign up for mandatory cut backs.
    Now add a couple hundred million EVs to the mix.

We use propane as the city does not have any nat gas lines run out to our hithers. Or cable. Or....

We love our Rennai water-less heater. However, it does take electricity to work. I've STILL got to get around to converting a genny that runs off of propane to run the propane. Lol. @AntiFederalist had a thread on that I'm gonna have to revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    We use propane as the city does not have any nat gas lines run out to our hithers. Or cable. Or....

We love our Rennai water-less heater. However, it does take electricity to work. I've STILL got to get around to converting a genny that runs off of propane to run the propane. Lol. @AntiFederalist had a thread on that I'm gonna have to revisit.
    Gotcha covered my brother...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...pane+generator

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I wonder if they want you plugged in to their grid for some reason?
    Of course they do.

Electric grid power can be monitored and regulated from afar by the central planners.

They can turn you off, turn you down, or raise your price at the touch of button or keystroke.

Being fully and wholly electrified makes you utterly dependent on them as well.

Can't store a five gallon jug of electrons for an emergency when a storm hits, the natives get restless or the powers that be decide you have used your carbon ration for the day and shut you off.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 09-11-2019 at 10:00 AM.

//

First they came for the wood stoves, but I did not speak out, because I did not have one. Then they came for the hard stoves...

Someone needs to make the "come and take it" flag for gas stoves.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

In California there are a lot of smaller gas fired electric generation stations. Nothing more efficient then burning the gas to create electricity, transmitting that electricity, and then attempting to convert that electricity back to heat at the homes.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

I have a propane generator and love it. Tied right into my house line and propane tank.

Oh, side note. Where do you think all that propane comes from... lol, a byproduct of of oil and natural gas drilling. Soooo, let’s stop drilling for NG. We should be like the smart states like New York that have a moratorium on NG drilling. BTW, they claim they don’t use fracked gas. Wonder how they separate in the pipe lines?
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting. Recently shopped for a new stove and noticed gas range and cooktop prices were dropping. Ended up getting a glass top electric because I knew something like this was in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference
    No coal, wood stoves, natural gas, propane. Hmm. I wonder if they want you plugged in to their grid for some reason?
    Much harder to control usage of gas than electricity. Smart meters...

(I've still managed to successfully fend off the smart meter! I'm probably the last house in the county with an analog meter!)
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    In California there are a lot of smaller gas fired electric generation stations. Nothing more efficient then burning the gas to create electricity, transmitting that electricity, and then attempting to convert that electricity back to heat at the homes.
    I am sure with all the improvement in technology the entire process will be approaching 10% efficiency in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Of course they do.

Electric grid power can be monitored and regulated from afar by the central planners.

They can turn you off, turn you down, or raise your price at the touch of button or keystroke.

Being fully and wholly electrified makes you utterly dependent on them as well.

Can't store a five gallon jug of electrons for an emergency when a storm hits, the natives get restless or the powers that be decide you have used your carbon ration for the day and shut you off.
    I Told You So.

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/...92522234269696