Thread: August 2019 gun sales up over 15% from August 2018

Exclamation August 2019 gun sales up over 15% from August 2018

Gun sales surge 15%, driven by self-protection and Pelosi-Schumer demand for limits

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...and-for-limits

by Paul Bedard - September 10, 2019 10:19 AM

The leading indicator of gun sales jumped in August, driven in part by Americans seeking self-protection and deep concerns congressional Democrats are going to push through expanded gun control legislation.

The overall number of background checks recorded in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System surged 15.5%, said the National Shooting Sports Foundation. That figure includes background checks done for security, concealed carry permits, and gun sales and was the highest August number ever recorded.

The industry group said that August FBI background checks adjusted for sales surged 15.2% over August 2018. The adjusted August number was second only to August 2016 during the heated presidential election.

The new surge came in the wake of heightened pressure for gun control, sales bans on military-styled rifles, and limits on ammo following a spike in mass shootings.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer on Monday demanded Senate passage of a House-approved background check expansion. The White House, however, is focused on mental health drivers in shootings.

Analysts said that it might be the start of a 2016-style buying binge. Then, calls by Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Rodham Clinton for gun control and an assault weapon ban led to the highest yearly sales and background checks ever.

Justin Anderson, the marketing director for Hyatt Guns in Charlotte, North Carolina, one of the nation’s largest sellers, said fears of a liberal gun grab and a drive for self-protection are pushing sales higher.

“As we’ve seen in the past, the recent publicizing of mass shootings has fueled people’s concerns about their personal safety. We are seeing many first-time gun buyers, and our concealed carry classes are booking up quickly,” said Anderson.

“Political figures talking about gun bans and confiscation is also starting to figure into sales. We’ve seen a slight uptick in the sale of tactical rifles as a result,” he added.

NSSF said that the FBI told it that the overall NICS number for August was 2,341,363. That is 310,702 higher than July and 268,067 higher than August 2018. The FBI hasn’t posted the number yet on its NICS page.

The NSSF adjusted number was 1,113,535 for August, compared to 966,809 for August 2018. It explained: “The adjusted NICS data were derived by subtracting out NICS purpose code permit checks and permit rechecks used by states for CCW permit application checks as well as checks on active CCW permit databases. NSSF started subtracting permit rechecks in February 2016. Though not a direct correlation to firearms sales, the NSSF-adjusted NICS data provide an additional picture of current market conditions.”

The industry group noted that some states saw huge spikes.

“Alabama’s NSSF-adjusted NICS for August 2019 was 164.6 percent higher than August 2018 which accounts for an additional 24,292 checks over this time last year. Likewise, Minnesota’s NSSF-adjusted NICS for August 2019 was 68.9 percent higher than August 2018 which accounts for an additional 8,936 checks over the same time period,” said the group.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Even if this is confirmed, I find it hard to believe that MAGA is the "new Obama" even if he used to be a democrat and used to fund democrats. MAGA election campaign had advertized him as a defender of 2nd amenedment, bump stock bans and recent gun control measures are not the real MAGA.

Related

Obama Presidency boosts gun sales

Which may be one of the reasons Trump talked like he might go for gun control.

I totally oppose "playing chess" with the 2ndA but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was one of Trump's goals.

Hopefully many new pro-gun voters just got politically reborn.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Even if this is confirmed, I find it hard to believe that MAGA is the "new Obama" even if he used to be a democrat and used to fund democrats. MAGA election campaign had advertized him as a defender of 2nd amenedment, bump stock bans and recent gun control measures are not the real MAGA.
    I generally can't make hide nor hair of whatever point you're trying to make.

Trump is all over the place on guns...no telling what the Drunken Monkey is going to say or do next.

I don't care.

Anything that puts more arms, into more citizens hands, is good.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Trump is all over the place on guns...no telling what the Drunken Monkey is going to say or do next.

I don't care.

Anything that puts more arms, into more citizens hands, is good.
    e_d always talks backwards and is always anti-Trump no matter how irrational it is, once you realize that it's easy to understand what he is trying to say.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I should have put this in the main post instead of under "related":

I'm saying it's similar phenomenon.. with one key difference that Obama's 2nd amendment opposition was just hype and whereas MAGA is starting to get things done starting with bumb stock ban, weakening of gun rights groups like GOA/NRA etc.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    I should have put this in the main post instead of under "related":

I'm saying it's similar phenomenon.. with one key difference that Obama's 2nd amendment opposition was just hype and whereas MAGA is starting to get things done starting with bumb stock ban, weakening of gun rights groups like GOA/NRA etc.
    That's ridiculous (as usual), the NRA brought its troubles on itself, GOA is doing just fine and gaining strength and O'Bummer was much worse on guns.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Democrats can't seem to grasp that they are the best gun salesmen.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Which may be one of the reasons Trump talked like he might go for gun control.

I totally oppose "playing chess" with the 2ndA but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was one of Trump's goals.

Hopefully many new pro-gun voters just got politically reborn.
    Trump is not playing any kind of chess here. He is a waffling, half-assed gun grabber. Full stop. It's just that simple.

Apologetics to the contrary are grotesquely absurd exemplars of wishful thinking.

When it comes to guns, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to think that Trump's ulterior motive is anything other than to get himself re-elected while remaining in the good graces of his adoring supporters. The only thing we have to thank for the fact that he hasn't gone even further than he has is that, so far, his impulse to indulge his narcissism is apparently stronger than his impulse to grab guns. So far.

What won't be at all surprising is if he gets re-elected and then decides that he can afford to give greater leeway to his gun-grabbiness ... (while winning plaudits from advocates for "sensible" gun-restrictionism to replace the support he'll have lost from others whose votes will already have been cast, and who will, at that point, no longer be of any use to him ...)

But accepting - just for the sake of argument - the ridiculous notion that Trump (an advocate of gun control since long ago) is playing at some kind of chess-master-ish MAGA-fu only makes it worse. Much worse. His mealy-mouthed Overton-window-shifting bull$#@! on the subject is far, far more of a liability (and does far, far more damage) than the most strident anti-gun-rights rhetoric that might have come from a President Hillary. At least the latter would have strongly galvanized reactionary opposition. The former just leaves people disheartened, while inducing others (who can't or don't want to see the obvious) to flounder around with asinine "Trumpsplanations" ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-11-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·