Thread: Feds Say They've Filed Their First Bump Stock Ban Charges in Texas

Feds Say They've Filed Their First Bump Stock Ban Charges in Texas

Federal authorities in Texas say they’ve made their first arrest related to the Trump administration’s 2018 “bump stock” ban.

According to a Thursday statement from the United States attorney for the Southern District of Texas, a 43-year-old Houston man has been indicted on four counts of firearms violation, including possession of a machine gun, which is what “bump stocks” are now considered under federal law.

The indictment alleges that Ajay Dhingra possessed a machine gun (the bump stock), made “two materially false statements in the acquisition of two firearms,” and also unlawfully possessed a firearm despite being adjudicated “as a mental defective” under federal law.

The suspect is expected to appear before a U.S. district judge next week. He currently faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a possible $250,000 fine, according to prosecutors.

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), this is believed to be the first federal charges filed related to the ban, which was announced in late 2018 and took effect in March of this year.

The ban was largely in response to the 2017 shooting in Las Vegas, in which the shooter — whose motive remains a mystery to this day — used a slide fire or “bump stock” device.

In reality, slide fire devices do not actually turn semi-automatic firearms into automatics — which fire more than one round per trigger pull — but instead allow the gun to use recoil force to slide back and forth between the shooter’s shoulder and trigger finger, thereby increasing the rate of fire, typically at the cost of accuracy.

The Trump administration’s ban is a regulation that redefined “‘bump fire’ stocks, slide-fire devices, and devices with certain similar characteristics” as illegal machine guns under previous gun laws and told owners of the devices to either destroy or turn in their legally obtained hardware without even offering to compensate them.

“It’s sort of an American principle that the government doesn’t take your stuff without compensating you,” Second Amendment Caucus chair Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., told me in December.

“I’m no fan of bump stocks; I think they waste ammunition and cause you to shoot inaccurately,” Massie explained. However, “the precedent that this sets — allowing the executive branch to ban something that was legally acquired and then confiscate it and destroy it without compensation — is a horrible one.”
    hxxps://www.conservativereview.com/news/feds-say-theyve-filed-first-bump-stock-ban-charges-texas/

“The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    This lunatic is being charged with a lot more than just possession of a bumpstock.
    Hopefully this criminal charge will lead to the ban being ruled unconstitutional.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

International Police Union Associations Endorse Campaign for Re-Election of President Trump

President Trump has done more for Law Enforcement in the past two and a half years than was accomplished in the eight years that preceded his election. He has even undone some of the harmful acts of his predecessor.

– He signed an order that once again provided law enforcement agencies with life-saving surplus military equipment, especially armored vehicles that have saved the lives of
    countless police and civilians.
    – He directed the Attorney General to develop a strategy that will aggressively prosecute criminals who attack law enforcement.
    – He provided more than 100,000.00 dollars to help communities hire more law enforcement officers.
    – He championed and signed the Mental Health and Wellness Act that improved police access to Mental Health Service.
    – He has resumed capital punishment of Federal Prisoners sentenced to death after a nearly two decades pause.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...esident-trump/
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    This lunatic is being charged with a lot more than just possession of a bumpstock.
    Hopefully this criminal charge will lead to the ban being ruled unconstitutional.
    "Possession of a Machine Gun" was related to what?

"Possession of a Machine Gun" was related to what?
    I said "more than", I didn't say he wasn't being charged under the ban, I said hopefully the criminal charge would lead to the ban being overturned.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sounds like the ATF is offering compensation . Ten year prison terms .
    Do something Danke

I said "more than", I didn't say he wasn't being charged under the ban, I said hopefully the criminal charge would lead to the ban being overturned.
    So in other words, Trump has turned millions of people into instant felons?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have always loudly condemned the ban, it isn't new news.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Not to beat a dead horse but what you are saying is that Trump, himself, against all the wishful and delirious thinking of his supporters that he was grandstanding and nothing would amount from this, turned millions of people into instant felons, overnight.

And again, not to beat a dead horse, he simultaneously ignited the $#@!storm of anti-2nd Amendment rhetoric going on right now.

“I’m no fan of bump stocks; I think they waste ammunition and cause you to shoot inaccurately,” Massie explained. However, “the precedent that this sets — allowing the executive branch to ban something that was legally acquired and then confiscate it and destroy it without compensation — is a horrible one.”
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

SHALL
    B
    Infringed...alot

Bend
    Over
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1568058462637.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	327.1 KB 
ID:	7064
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

They'd have to repeal part of the Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986 as well.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

And then call the NRA and tell them to support repealing the National Firearms Act.

Oh, wait ...

"The NRA supported The National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns. [...] NRA support of Federal gun legislation did not stop with the earlier Dodd bills. It currently backs several Senate and House bills which, through amendment, would put new teeth into the National and Federal Firearms Acts." -- American Rifleman, March 1968

(The American Rifleman is the "Official Journal of the NRA.")
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Have no fear. I have it on good authority that ATF will continue to display the very highest levels of honesty and professionalism in enforcing this new regulation. That they'll temper their actions with compassion and common sense and only seek to charge those who are actually criminals with malicious intent when they apply this... snigger, snigger ROTFL!!!

Damnit man, I can't even type that bull$#@! with a straight face.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 09-10-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So go the pre-crime laws. (We need to make that illegal, because somebody might get hurt.)

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    And then call the NRA and tell them to support repealing the National Firearms Act.

Oh, wait ...

"The NRA supported The National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns. [...] NRA support of Federal gun legislation did not stop with the earlier Dodd bills. It currently backs several Senate and House bills which, through amendment, would put new teeth into the National and Federal Firearms Acts." -- American Rifleman, March 1968

(The American Rifleman is the "Official Journal of the NRA.")

Name:	1568058355392.png 
Size:	982.2 KB 
ID:	7067
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

So it's "old news"? Well:

American imperialism and foreign intervention is "old news" too. They've been busy with that for well over a century now.

The Federal Reserve and its depredations likewise are "old news." Again, more than a century.

Public welfare as we know it is also "old news" well over half a century now and going strong.

In spite of their being "old news" we all, including you Trump fans, continue to oppose and discuss all of these and many others. And yet here Trump VERY RECENTLY commits a massive, flagrant violation of our rights, his oath of office and the constitution many of you Trump fans claim to revere and your response is merely "I oppose this but it's old news."?

I'm sorry but I simply can't see that as responsive to kcchiefs' comment in any other way but as an attempt to dismiss it as trivial and unworthy of attention in order to provide cover for Trump. And it simply dismisses as unimportant the millions of new potential victims of ATF abuses created by Trump in his idiocy. Please think about that.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 09-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    Chris

also unlawfully possessed a firearm despite being adjudicated “as a mental defective” under federal law.

This is a very important issue to watch.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    also unlawfully possessed a firearm despite being adjudicated “as a mental defective” under federal law.

This is a very important issue to watch.
    Related:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...mass-shootings

Not to mention DSM5 has classified practically everything as a mental disorder.

Related:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...mass-shootings

Not to mention DSM5 has classified practically everything as a mental disorder.
    Then again, homosexuality used to be classified as a mental disorder and now the DSM5 says it isn't. Seems to change which ever way the political wind blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Then again, homosexuality used to be classified as a mental disorder and now the DSM5 says it isn't. Seems to change which ever way the political wind blows.
    Thinking thoughts like that is indicative of a paranoid disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    So it's "old news"? Well:

American imperialism and foreign intervention is "old news" too. They've been busy with that for well over a century now.

The Federal Reserve and its depredations likewise are "old news." Again, more than a century.

Public welfare as we know it is also "old news" well over half a century now and going strong.

In spite of their being "old news" we all, including you Trump fans, continue to oppose and discuss all of these and many others. And yet here Trump VERY RECENTLY commits a massive, flagrant violation of our rights, his oath of office and the constitution many of you Trump fans claim to revere and your response is merely "I oppose this but it's old news."?

I'm sorry but I simply can't see that as responsive to kcchiefs' comment in any other way but as an attempt to dismiss it as trivial and unworthy of attention in order to provide cover for Trump. And it simply dismisses as unimportant the millions of new potential victims of ATF abuses created by Trump in his idiocy. Please think about that.
    I didn't say it was "old news", I said it wasn't new.
    I don't have to jump through hoops or recite a condemnation of something I oppose every time somebody demands one.

I oppose the ban, I have condemned it in strong terms, I said nothing to defend it and I even repeated that I condemn it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I didn't say it was "old news", I said it wasn't new.
    I don't have to jump through hoops or recite a condemnation of something I oppose every time somebody demands one.

I oppose the ban, I have condemned it in strong terms, I said nothing to defend it and I even repeated that I condemn it.
    I know this.

I suppose why I continue to tag you with regards to this issue is that for me, if I were a Trump supporter to begin with, I would have thrown him to the wolves over this.

It seems that you, and every Trump supporter I talk to in the real world, semi-casually dismiss this as a side issue. Or say it is a stupid accessory.

It isn't some insignificant mandate.

It has real consequences and is as significant a blow against the 2nd Amendment as District of Columbia v. Heller was a step in the right direction.