Thread: ''Free Stuff''; John Stossel , Is this legal ?

''Free Stuff''; John Stossel , Is this legal ?

I wonder if this is legal, IMV these candidates are offering nothing less than
    cash for votes, bribery and theft all rolled into one.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We need a Constitutional amendment depriving anyone who gets any money from government of the vote.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Tax cuts for the wealthy that don't expire, while tax cuts for the rest do expire, should fall under giveaways. Anyone that benefits from crony capitalism also gets things for free.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

$1 trillion for infrastructure spending. Billions for the military. That will be free because our allies will finally "pay their share". Billions to farmers bailing them out from Trump Tariff impacts. That will be free because China is paying $billions in tariffs (actually US companies and consumers are paying the tariffs). The wall was going to be free because Mexico would pay for it. And healthcare for all. $20 billion for "school choice". Six weeks paid maternity leave (if your employer doesn't offer it, the government will take care of it). More money for veterans. More money for mental healthcare. Bail out the Carrier plant in Indiana. Tax cuts for everybody! (more free stuff!) And after all of that, balance the budget and get rid of the debt in eight years.

Of course, he didn't get (or ask for) everything he promised on the campaign trail- Congress decides how much to spend on what.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-09-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Tax cuts for the wealthy that don't expire, while tax cuts for the rest do expire, should fall under giveaways. Anyone that benefits from crony capitalism also gets things for free.
    Are the wealthy still being taxed more than everyone else?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Are the wealthy still being taxed more than everyone else?
    I haven't heard if Warren Buffet is still being taxed less than his secretary after the latest tax changes.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

I haven't heard if Warren Buffet is still being taxed less than his secretary after the latest tax changes.
    He's the only wealthy man?
    Trump cut capital gains taxes? (that's how Buffet pays so little, he pays capital gains on most of his income)

There are loopholes but there is also a mjor problem with soaking the rich and buying off the slums.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Giving away free stuff is the only way Democrats can get people to appeal to them. They don't want to work for things. People want things handed to them on a silver platter.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    . Tax cuts for everybody! (more free stuff!)
    WOW, the true commie comes out...again.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    WOW, the true commie comes out...again.
    "You don't need to pay for government. It will be free!"

We cannot afford free government.

The price of government is freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He's the only wealthy man?
    Trump cut capital gains taxes? (that's how Buffet pays so little, he pays capital gains on most of his income)

There are loopholes but there is also a mjor problem with soaking the rich and buying off the slums.
    Of course not, Buffet just happens to be one of the very richest and has talked about issues with taxes. Buffet was paying a smaller percentage under Obama, I honestly don't know how the recent tax cuts affected him.

Unless we get a Rand in there to shred the entire tax code and get rid of all the loopholes, while #taxationistheft we should at least have an even playing field. The tax cuts that expires for some, but not others, is also very disingenuous. Hence my opinion that anyone that benefits from those loopholes is getting a free handout from the gov.

Of course not, Buffet just happens to be one of the very richest and has talked about issues with taxes. Buffet was paying a smaller percentage under Obama, I honestly don't know how the recent tax cuts affected him.

Unless we get a Rand in there to shred the entire tax code and get rid of all the loopholes, while #taxationistheft we should at least have an even playing field. The tax cuts that expires for some, but not others, is also very disingenuous. Hence my opinion that anyone that benefits from those loopholes is getting a free handout from the gov.
    A level playing field is what we want (unless we can get rid of the income tax entirely) but I think Trump's tax cut got us closer to one even with the parts that expire.
    And I'm pretty sure Trump has said he wants to make all of the cute permanent and add more.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Here's just one of the promises FOR VOTES, this isn't just pandering to a few super rich folks,
    this is for millions of votes:

Erase Student Debt;
    45 million students with SLD, that's easily 45 million votes,
    this cycle or next, young, impressionable, and hungry' students.
    How in the hell is this legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Here's just one of the promises FOR VOTES, this isn't just pandering to a few super rich folks,
    this is for millions of votes:

Erase Student Debt;
    45 million students with SLD, that's easily 45 million votes,
    this cycle or next, young, impressionable, and hungry' students.
    How in the hell is this legal?

Pandering is what all politicians do. You can't get them drunk in a bar on election night and help them make the "right choice" so you help them in other ways.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Buffett's secretary gets a larger salary than Warren. That's what conveniently gets left out. Buffett only pays himself 100k. His money is all in his company stock. He pays corporate income taxes plus capital gains tax if sells stock which effectively puts his rate in the top bracket.

Capital gains tax rates can be debated. But that isn't a giveaway. Warren's capital gains rate would be zero in Hong Kong and Singapore.

I sort of remember Ron Paul saying, nothing is free, somebody has to pay for it.

Pandering is what all politicians do. You can't get them drunk in a bar on election night and help them make the "right choice" so you help them in other ways.
    So what is it exactly that you do?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    So what is it exactly that you do?
    He helps them understand that there is video?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment