Thread: US hopes for North Korea talks in days or weeks: Pompeo

US hopes for North Korea talks in days or weeks: Pompeo

The United States hopes to get back to denuclearisation talks with North Korea in the coming days or weeks, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday.
    "We know Chairman Kim has continued to make the commitment to denuclearise. We are hopeful that in the coming days or perhaps weeks we'll be back at the negotiating table with them. That's the best outcome," Pompeo said in an interview with ABC's This Week.

North Korea has fired a series of short-range missiles in recent weeks in protest against US-South Korea joint military exercises and the adoption of new weapons, complicating the reopening of the talks.
    Pompeo said that despite those short-range tests, which he called disappointing, Kim has not violated the commitments he made to Trump and the US goal remains a verified denuclearised North Korea.
    "I think President Trump would be very disappointed if Chairman Kim doesn't return to the negotiating table or conducts missile tests that are inconsistent with the agreements that they made when the two of them were together these three times," he said.

More at: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...003757787.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If this confirmed as non fakenews, this would be hugely hopeful.

BTW, do you view Pompeo as 'war monger' or 'peace maker' ... or 'Deep State' like other MAGA picks Rosenstein, Bolton?

Secretary of State Pompeo Declines to Sign Afghan Peace Deal

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

BTW, do you view Pompeo as 'war monger' or 'peace maker' ... or 'Deep State' like other MAGA picks Rosenstein, Bolton?

Pompeo would not be my choice but his allegiance is not yet clear and his actions have been mixed.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Given the massive success of the previous talks, are more even necessary? Trump ended the nuclear threat with only one meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

Hes a war monger and part of the deep state.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

In celebration, North Korea fired off two more missiles today. https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...ectiles-report

North Korea just got hit by a hurricane (they get called typhoons in that part of the world).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49621405

A powerful typhoon has passed over the Korean peninsula, leaving five people dead and 460 houses damaged or destroyed in North Korea, according to state media.

The storm flooded 460 sq km (178 sq miles) of farmland, the official KCNA news agency said, in a country already suffering food shortages.

Typhoon Lingling earlier killed three people in South Korea.

Flights were cancelled and tens of thousands of homes left without power.

The typhoon struck North Korea at 14:00 local time (05:00 GMT) on Saturday, KCNA said.

There were concerns the storm, which injured three people, could worsen already severe food shortages.

Earlier this year, the UN warned that up to 10 million North Koreans were "in urgent need of food assistance".

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un held an emergency meeting on Friday and scolded officials for their lack of action as Typhoon Lingling approached, KCNA said.

The government was giving "primary attention" to the protection of crops as well as dams and reservoirs, the agency said.
    Lingling packed the fifth-strongest winds of any typhoon to hit the country, the agency said.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    In celebration, North Korea fired off two more missiles today. https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...ectiles-report

North Korea just got hit by a hurricane (they get called typhoons in that part of the world).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49621405
    They also said they were ready for more talks.

North Korea Test-Fires Two More Missiles Just Hours After Suggesting "Willingness To Sit With US"

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Let me guess. They will promise to cut back on their program in exchange for food aid. Then a few months later, back to testing again. That is what they have done in the past.

From my link above:

This is the 10th such launch since May, and it comes the same day a North Korean official said that the country is willing to restart denuclearization negotiations with the United States later this month. Those negotiations are predicated on whether the Trump administration presents satisfactory new proposals, according to First Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui.

Choe said in a statement published by North Korean state media that the country may end negotiations if the U.S. proposals are not adequate, arguing that the U.S. has had more than enough time to come up with new possibilities that will satisfy Pyongyang.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-09-2019 at 07:10 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@! in the other hand.
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

I don't hate you. You're just some person on the internet who believes in things that aren't real.