Thread: Amash blasts Trump for inviting Taliban leaders to Camp David week of 9/11

Amash blasts Trump for inviting Taliban leaders to Camp David week of 9/11

Rep. Justin Amash (I-Mich.) on Sunday denounced President Trump for inviting Taliban leaders to Camp David for peace talks just days before the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"How about we end the war without inviting the Taliban to dinner on the week of 9/11?" Amash, an Independent who left the GOP earlier this year, said on Twitter after Trump announced that he'd canceled secret meetings with leaders of the Taliban and Afghanistan's president.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...d-week-of-9-11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "How about we end the war without inviting the Taliban to dinner on the week of 9/11?"

What a load of rubbish, there is no one way of ending a war. You can invite them for "dinner" to work out the terms to end the war. This is him playing partisan politics and he looks foolish doing it.

Amash is now a warmonger?

Just how far will he fall?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Amash
    How about we end the war without inviting the Taliban to dinner on the week of 9/11?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Amash is now a warmonger?

Just how far will he fall?
    You got "warmonger" out of that quote?

I took it as, how about we just end the war instead of making some strange symbolic gesture (having our enemy over for dinner on the anniversary of the attack).

I tend to agree with Amash - just pull out without, all the political/sybolic games.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post

I took it as, how about we just end the war instead of making some strange symbolic gesture (having our enemy over for dinner on the anniversary of the attack).

I tend to agree with Amash - just pull out without, all the political/sybolic games.
    He is attacking Trump for holding peace talks and using stupid symbolic reasons from the MSM.
    That's like Tulsi attacking Trump for wanting to pull out of Syria "because it leaves our Kurd allies hanging", neither one can come right out and blow their cover but both are helping in the campaign to stop Trump from ending wars.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 09-08-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He is attacking Trump for holding peace talks and using stupid symbolic reasons from the MSM.
    That's like Tulsi attacking Trump for wanting to pull out of Syria "because it leaves our Kurd allies hanging", neither one can come right out and blow their cover but btoth are helping in the campaign to Trump from ending wars.

Why not just write a letter - Dear Taliban, here are our terms... Fk with us again, and we'll be back, to beat your a$$. All the best, USA.

To be fair, Trump has been making a lot of talk on this front, and a lot of symbolic gesture - he need only bring the troops home. Its really that simple... We should have never been over there to begin with - if there's any argument on that, why arent we bombing the fk out of Pakistan?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuco
    “When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.”
    The same applies with bringing the troops home. Then Tulsi, or anyone else, can STFU.

Gulag Chief:

Why not just write a letter - Dear Taliban, here are our terms... Fk with us again, and we'll be back, to beat your a$$. All the best, USA.

To be fair, Trump has been making a lot of talk on this front, and a lot of symbolic gesture - he need only bring the troops home. Its really that simple... We should have never been over there to begin with - if there's any argument on that, why arent we bombing the fk out of Pakistan?

The same applies with bringing the troops home. Then Tulsi, or anyone else, can STFU.
    I agree and I think Trump might start to do that, he was going to pull out but was talked into peace negotiations instead, if they do come to an end he should go back to a unilateral withdrawal.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Who cares how he did it? Amash could have attacked him on the idea that he is not really ending the war. We are still going to have thousands of troops and bases in Afghanistan fighting terrosim/protecting stolen mineral sites but Amash went on the attack the style of Trump and not the actual substance of his policy. I have supported him in the past but he is wrong with this criticism.

Btw, it was Al Qaeda supposedly attacked us on 9/11 not the taliban.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Btw, it was Al Qaeda supposedly attacked us on 9/11 not the taliban.

We should have never been over there to begin with - if there's any argument on that, why arent we bombing the fk out of Pakistan?
    If you recall, the justification was that the taliban was harboring al-qaeda. It later turned out that Pakistan was harboring al-qaeda, which is where osama was slain - hence my earlier remark.

Amash is calling out Trump for the token political games - nothing trump has done has even come close to action. Its all talkey talkey talkey (tweet tweet tweet) with that guy. He says something, and then his little toadies real him back in. So, how about we just end the war already - like now? What does that constitute? Will the taliban be paying reparations? Give me a fking break. End the war means bringing the troops back -wtf is there to negotiate?

Gulag Chief:

If you recall, the justification was that the taliban was harboring al-qaeda. It later turned out that Pakistan was harboring al-qaeda, which is where osama was slain - hence my earlier remark.

Amash is calling out Trump for the token political games - nothing trump has done has even come close to action. Its all talkey talkey talkey (tweet tweet tweet) with that guy. He says something, and then his little toadies real him back in. So, how about we just end the war already - like now? What does that constitute? Will the taliban be paying reparations? Give me a fking break. End the war means bringing the troops back -wtf is there to negotiate?
    "The Patriarch"

https://www.twitter.com/BillKristol/...87336259477508
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

https://www.twitter.com/BillKristol/...85306375770112
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

https://www.twitter.com/BillKristol/...87097976905730

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

https://www.twitter.com/BillKristol/...87336259477508

https://www.twitter.com/BillKristol/...85306375770112

https://www.twitter.com/BillKristol/...87097976905730
    I guess we can see who Amash is listening to.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And just yesterday, in a conversation with myself, I recall you wholeheartedly agreeing with something Karl Marx said. By your own "reasoning" "I guess we can see who [you've been] listening to," right?

FFS don't you Trumpkins ever get tired of the bull$#@! disingenuous debate tactics you constantly resort to? That's rhetorical. The answer is obvious.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We don't need to talk to anybody to bring the troops home.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    And just yesterday, in a conversation with myself, I recall you wholeheartedly agreeing with something Karl Marx said. By your own "reasoning" "I guess we can see who [you've been] listening to," right?

FFS don't you Trumpkins ever get tired of the bull$#@! disingenuous debate tactics you constantly resort to? That's rhetorical. The answer is obvious.
    We have more of a link than just that:

OMG: Bill Kristol is running ads to SUPPORT Amash!

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We have more of a link than just that:

OMG: Bill Kristol is running ads to SUPPORT Amash!

So, your defense when caught disingenuously resorting to the fallacy of Guilt by Association is to double down and again disingenuously resort to the fallacy of Guilt by Association? You're not very good at this debate thing, are you?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    So, your defense when caught disingenuously resorting to the fallacy of Guilt by Association is to double down and again disingenuously resort to the fallacy of Guilt by Association? You're not very good at this debate thing, are you?
    It's not the fallacy of Guilt by Association.
    This is not the only time he has attacked Trump using garbage MSM talking points and we have a definite link between Amash and Kristol in addition to both of them pushing the same garbage.

If it quacks like a duck and flocks together with other ducks it's probably a duck.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    We don't need to talk to anybody to bring the troops home.
    No we don't; but if trump feels the need to do that and make a big public spectacle about ending the war and bringing those troops home; then I am sure as hell not going to criticize him over that.

It's not the fallacy of Guilt by Association.
    Indeed it is. But don't let reality get in the way of a good witch burning.

This is not the only time he has attacked Trump using garbage MSM talking points and we have a definite link between Amash and Kristol in addition to both of them pushing the same garbage.

If it quacks like a duck and flocks together with other ducks it's probably a duck.

You've demonstrated no such link, but I didn't expect that you would. You have a habit of accusing people of being things like communists, traitors etc on the very flimsiest of evidence, so I wouldn't expect you to treat Amash any differently. Carry on.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 09-08-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    No we don't; but if trump feels the need to do that and make a big public spectacle about ending the war and bringing those troops home; then I am sure as hell not going to criticize him over that.
    Honestly, what could be more climatic/spectacular, after 20 years? Just bring em home. What juice can be squeezed from this at this point? Black turbans, black beards, camp david... We need a beer summit to exit Afghanistan?

Gulag Chief:

Honestly, what could be more climatic/spectacular, after 20 years? Just bring em home. What juice can be squeezed from this at this point? Black turbans, black beards, camp david... We need a beer summit to exit Afghanistan?
    My point is I don't give a $#@! about the theatrics as.long as it gets done.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Even if he's playing bit of politics also besides representing concerns of part of GOP/America about the timing, it's far less blatant than MAGA calling on Ilhan to resign from Congress for 'anti-semitism' because she said Iarael lobbies bribed US politicians.

Another issue is why Bolton, Pompeo are running the show in GOP-Netanyahu wing and why even after the "peace deal" and partial exit there would still remain as many troops still as there were when MAGA came to white house. Just undoing his surge would not be "exit"... if that happened.

Secretary of State Pompeo Declines to Sign Afghan Peace Deal

We don’t know for sure that Amash has “listened to” Bill Kristol.

But we do know that Kristol has listened to Amash, and praised him. We know that Amash has received favorable coverage in the Washington Neocon Post and other media outlets for being the maverick Republican (now independent) who goes against Trump.

There would be a temptation to play to that coverage, especially if there is a POTUS run in his future.

Criticizing peace talks when peace is the goal does not make sense.

Invoking 9/11 doesn’t make sense unless it is simply meant to be a sensational “gotcha”.

If this was directed at anyone but Trump, would any libertarians praise those points?