Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boris Johnson is urged to become a 'Brexit martyr' after suggesting he could break the law

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    The Council of Ministers act on unanimity so Britain holds a veto. However a lot of issues are done using Qualified Majority Voting i.e a simple majority.
    Britain's reps have an effective veto on rules requiring a unanimous vote but Johnson is not a UK rep at the EU. He does not have a vote or a veto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Britain's reps have an effective veto on rules requiring a unanimous vote but Johnson is not a UK rep at the EU. He does not have a vote or a veto.
    He does have a veto.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankindÖitís people I canít stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

EXCLUSIVE: Boris Johnson has been handed a massive vote of confidence by the British public, who say he is the best man to deliver Brexit.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-labour-tories
    The DM today has Johnson with a 14 point lead...
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...poll-lead.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

As a PM In the EU Council he holds a veto over some areas so your wrong Zippy.

British influence in the EU Council of Ministers

https://fullfact.org/europe/british-...cil-ministers/

Johnson trying to buy more support by promising more money for the National Healthcare system as well as schools.

More money for farmers too.

More police.

More NHS and Defense spending.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-08-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

British influence in the EU Council of Ministers

https://fullfact.org/europe/british-...cil-ministers/
    Yes, he is a member of the Council as a head of state, but the council has no legislative powers. Their role is to advise.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/european-council/

The European Council

The European Council defines the EU's overall political direction and priorities. It is not one of the EU's legislating institutions, so does not negotiate or adopt EU laws. Instead it sets the EU's policy agenda, traditionally by adopting 'conclusions' during European Council meetings which identify issues of concern and actions to take.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-08-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Yes, he is a member of the Council as a head of state, but the council has no legislative powers. Their role is to advise.

He does have a veto though.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Boris is not a head of state. The Queen is.

And this has nothing to do with legislation so it is upto the EU council

The DM today has Johnson with a 14 point lead...
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...poll-lead.html

Yes I saw that. The polls do not look good for Labour. either 6 down or 14 down, that's an average of 10 points ahead.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Boris Johnson will go to court to challenge the order from parliament to delay Brexit, the foreign secretary has revealed.
    Dominic Raab insisted the government would not break the law – after MPs passed legislation requiring him to seek an Article 50 extension – but said it would not comply either.
    Vowing to “test to the limit” what the new law demands, Mr Raab said: “We will look very carefully, legally at what it requires and what it doesn’t require.”

And, asked if the government would go to the courts, he pointed to the failed legal actions to stop parliament being suspended, he told Sky’s Sophy Ridge programme: “We had two legal challenges last week and we won both of those.”

The comments suggest the controversy is heading for the Supreme Court in late October, with Dominic Cummings, Mr Johnson’s key aide, believed to be convinced there is a legal way out.

Mr Raab also dismissed a warning by a former director of public prosecutions that the prime minister is heading for jail if he flouts the law as “ridiculous”.

More at: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...als/ar-AAGZ1Fo

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Boris Johnson was expected to ramp up the pressure on MPs to back a snap general election or face five weeks of watching the Brexit negotiations from the sidelines.
    The Prime Minister could prorogue Parliament as early as Monday in a move that would suspend all proceedings until October 14.
    But Mr Johnson will present MPs with a way out of an enforced holiday by giving them another vote on holding a general election before a final decision to prorogue is taken.

The Daily Telegraph, formerly one of Mr Johnson’s employers, quoted a Downing Street source who said Monday would be the final opportunity for MPs to stop no-deal.
    To call a general election early using the Fixed-Term Parliament Act (FTPA), two-thirds of MPs would have to agree.
    The No10 source reportedly said: “(Monday) is the last chance for Corbyn to be prime minister and negotiate his delay at Brussels (at the European Council summit) on October 17-18.

“If he opposes the people having their say in an election on October 15, then MPs should realise they may not be able to stop no-deal.
    “The MPs will be sent home this week and have no further chance to shape negotiations on October 17.”

More at: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...eal/ar-AAGZUfk

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12