Thread: India’s Moon Landing May Be Doomed

India’s Moon Landing May Be Doomed

https://www.wired.com/story/indias-m...may-be-doomed/

India has lost contact with its Chandrayaan-2 lander, Vikram, which was scheduled to land near the lunar south pole on Friday. The landing proceeded as expected until the final braking phase, at which point the lander began to deviate from its expected trajectory. When Vikram was 2 kilometers above the lunar surface, the Indian Space Research Organization lost contact with the lander. During the last contact, the lander appeared to be approaching a landing site about one kilometer downrange of its target.

The Indian Space Research Organization hasn’t yet confirmed if the Vikram lander was destroyed upon impact, but the lack of communication from the lander is a troubling sign. If the lander did not survive the impact, India would be the second country to lose a lunar lander this year. In April, the Israeli Beresheet lunar lander also failed just before touchdown and was destroyed.

The loss of the Vikram lander and the Pragyan rover it was carrying to the lunar surface would be a big blow for India’s space program. The Chandrayaan-2 program has been a decade in the making and was India’s most ambitious space mission yet.

But all is not lost for the mission. More than half of the scientific instruments it carried to the moon are safe on the Chandrayaan-2 orbiter, which will spend the next year mapping the lunar surface and studying the deposits of water ice at the south pole. Planetary scientists are particularly interested in this region of the moon because it is believed to be rich in water ice. In principle, this means it can be used for life support and manufacturing rocket fuel, which is arguably the main reason why NASA is planning to send astronauts to the lunar south pole in 2024.

With any luck, India’s Vikram lander will be there to greet them. But if not, the Chandrayaan-2 orbiter can still provide valuable data that will build a foundation for future human missions to the lunar south pole. And hey, at least it didn’t spill any tardigrades.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Can't they call tech support?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

So it went into the toilet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Can't they call tech support?

https://www.technologyreview.com/f/6...moons-surface/

I was going to resist the temptation to compare this success to the similar successes of software development projects outsourced to India; but I decided not to.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I was going to resist the temptation to compare this success to the similar successes of software development projects outsourced to India; but I decided not to.
    The best. And the brightest. Doing the work Americans can’t do. And the degrees. Never have so many PhDs been together in one room.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The $#@! that came out was't exactly the $#@! we intended.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was definitely aliens.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was definitely aliens.
    Somebody hacked their WiFi network?

My company finally decided to sever our business relationship with Mindtree, a huge IT outsourcing firm. They were horrible, not just in the software development part, but in the simple business analysis part as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert089 View Post
    My company finally decided to sever our business relationship with Mindtree, a huge IT outsourcing firm. They were horrible, not just in the software development part, but in the simple business analysis part as well.
    When morons are outsourcing to morons what's the likelihood of success?

My guess is that the engineers are still changing their minds about where it should land.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    My guess is that the engineers are still changing their minds about where it should land.
    Or they were too busy having another meaningless conference call with no agenda when it crashed.

O kurwa...India cannot into space, Polan cannot into space... /sadz
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    We can always repeat it, right?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.