Thread: Authorities Suspect Gun Used in Midland Was Illegally Made and Sold

Authorities Suspect Gun Used in Midland Was Illegally Made and Sold

Law enforcement authorities believe the gun used in Saturday’s Midland-Odessa shooting was illegally made and illegally sold from a man in Lubbock, Texas.

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported that authorities have “a person of interest” they believe may have made the gun at his home before selling it to the gunman who opened fire on August 31.
    It is legal to piece together a gun at home for personal use in numerous states around the country, but it is illegal to sell that gun.
    On Monday, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) announced that the Midland-Odessa shooter had “previously failed a gun purchase background check.” However, at that time, how the shooter acquired his gun was still unknown.
    The next day reports indicated the shooter had acquired his gun via a private sale to avoid drawing attention to himself with a background check. Now law enforcement believes the gun may have been illegally made and, therefore, illegally sold.
    WSJ reported that authorities do not know if the man who sold the gun “knew [the shooter] was a prohibited person when selling him the rifle.” If the seller did know, he could face a federal charge on those grounds in addition to allegedly violating the law against manufacturing and selling guns from one’s home.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...lly-made-sold/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So?

And I’m not directing that to you as I know you are just posting updates and highlighting that more laws won’t change anything but it should be legal to manufacture and sell whatever you wish to sell.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    So?

And I’m not directing that to you as I know you are just posting updates and highlighting that more laws won’t change anything but it should be legal to manufacture and sell whatever you wish to sell.
    You are right but even with laws against home manufacture and sales background checks, trying to stop nuts who aren't locked up from getting guns and the ban on felons owning guns are all worthless.

Anyone who shouldn't have guns should be locked up or dead.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So?

Reported. @TheTexan
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

What if pieces of materials that could be possibly assembled into a gun by the buyer is what was sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You are right but even with laws against home manufacture and sales background checks, trying to stop nuts who aren't locked up from getting guns and the ban on felons owning guns are all worthless.

Anyone who shouldn't have guns should be locked up or dead.
    That's pretty harsh. Who is fit to decide who shouldn't have guns?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That's pretty harsh. Who is fit to decide who shouldn't have guns?
    The same people who decide who should be locked up or dead, anyone who hasn't committed a crime worthy of one or the other and who isn't crazy enough to be locked up for the good of society should have a right to guns and doing anything different will never stop shootings.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The same people who decide who should be locked up or dead, anyone who hasn't committed a crime worthy of one or the other and who isn't crazy enough to be locked up for the good of society should have a right to guns and doing anything different will never stop shootings.
    Judges, DAs, and police? What could possibly go wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Judges, DAs, and police? What could possibly go wrong?
    Nothing in life can be perfect, not having a justice system won't work well either, it won't even last.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Reported. @TheTexan
    Good catch, stay vigilant
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    What if pieces of materials that could be possibly assembled into a gun by the buyer is what was sold?
    That’s what Mitch McConnell will cave on.

And Trump.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

That’s what Mitch McConnell will cave on.

And Trump.
    I don't believe anything will pass or be signed by Trump.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

His executive order paved the way for short barreled rifle ammunition being discontinued by Wal-Mart.

Bare with me...

He has opened floodgates and aroused a populace that was largely acquiesced by nothing proposals and simply being content that their ruler was in the White House.

They are active and will continue until it happens.

Trump is not principled and understands the issue little.. otherwise he would have shut the $#@! up a year ago and not tiptoed down this path.

His executive order paved the way for short barreled rifle ammunition being discontinued by Wal-Mart.
    LOL
    You actually think a private company needed him to ban bumpstocks in order to virtue signal after more shootings?
    I have condemned the bumpstock ban and will do so in the future no doubt but please don't insult my intelligence.

Bare with me...

He has opened floodgates and aroused a populace that was largely acquiesced by nothing proposals and simply being content that their ruler was in the White House.

They are active and will continue until it happens.

Trump is not principled and understands the issue little.. otherwise he would have shut the $#@! up a year ago and not tiptoed down this path.
    Trump is playing chess with something that should never be toyed with but I do not believe anything will pass the House that will pass the Senate or vice versa and I don't believe Trump will sign anything that passed if it did.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL
    You actually think a private company needed him to ban bumpstocks in order to virtue signal after more shootings?
    I have condemned the bumpstock ban and will do so in the future no doubt but please don't insult my intelligence.

Trump is playing chess with something that should never be toyed with but I do not believe anything will pass the House that will pass the Senate or vice versa and I don't believe Trump will sign anything that passed if it did.
    You really think that Trump is playing chess?

Please don’t insult my intelligence.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump is a waffling, half-assed gun grabber, and there is no telling what he will do.

Hell, I very much doubt that Trump himself even knows what he's going to do ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Trump pondering to Expand red flag laws and social media monitoring.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Probably Lubbock , place is full of texans .
    Do something Danke

Multiple shooters were reported on live police scanners. Where did that go?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Killers these days - they dont seem to have much respect for the law. Go figure...

In other news, man stares and the sun and damages his retina.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Oh, well I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that YOU are predicting this.

But then I recall that you made exactly this kind of prediction during the whole bump stock fiasco. Those predictions have been pretty uniformly wrong to date. Apparently your predictions on these kinds of things are more aimed at pacifying people's ire toward Trump than at anything else. Or maybe you just need a new crystal ball.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 09-06-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

LOL

Trump opened Pandora's Box, virtually singlehandedly brought almost 25 years of positive progress to a screeching halt and handed the initiative straight over to the gun grabbers. In speaking out in favor of various victim disarmament (gun control) measures he provided cover for the NRA and Republican lawmakers across the country to do their usual backstabbing routine and endorse and support yet more, and more egregious victim disarmament. Merely by opening his idiot mouth he's created an environment wherein gun grabbers and their agenda could flourish. He has already done immeasurable damage and that damage wil certainly continue to accrue for many years to come.

Whether or not Walmart would have done what they did had Trump just kept his idiot mouth shut, or even better took a firm stand against victim disarmament, is unknowable. What IS known is that before the Blowhard in Chief spouted off in favor of victim disarmament it had no legs. Afterward it's been racing through one jurisdiction after another with no discernable end in sight.

You yourself even acknowledged the truth of all this in a post or two in another victim disarmament thread something like a week ago. Granted that acknowledgement came over a year too late since while I and maybe one or two others were warning of this very phenomenon during the whole bump stock fiasco you were busy spamming us with your usual "Yes this isn't good but don't worry, everything will be ok" crap, just like you're doing right now. One could be forgiven for wondering what your true agenda might be.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 09-06-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Trump opened Pandora's Box, virtually singlehandedly brought almost 25 years of positive progress to a screeching halt and handed the initiative straight over to the gun grabbers. In speaking out in favor of various victim disarmament (gun control) measures he provided cover for the NRA and Republican lawmakers across the country to do their usual backstabbing routine and endorse and support yet more, and more egregious victim disarmament. Merely by opening his idiot mouth he's created an environment wherein gun grabbers and their agenda could flourish. He has already done immeasurable damage and that damage wil certainly continue to accrue for many years to come.

Whether or not Walmart would have done what they did had Trump just kept his idiot mouth shut, or even better took a firm stand against victim disarmament, is unknowable. What IS known is that before the Blowhard in Chief spouted off in favor of victim disarmament it had no legs. Afterward it's been racing through one jurisdiction after another with no discernable end in sight.

You yourself even acknowledged the truth of all this in a post or two in another victim disarmament thread something like a week ago. Granted that acknowledgement came over a year too late since while I and maybe one or two others were warning of this very phenomenon during the whole bump stock fiasco you were busy spamming us with your usual "Yes this isn't good but don't worry, everything will be ok" crap, just like you're doing right now. One could be forgiven for wondering what your true agenda might be.
    This.

I know plenty of card holding Trump idolizing Republicans who are very much in favor of various gun control measures (red flag laws, gun show loopholes, etc.). They would never express as much without Trump hinting at if not outright supporting measures such as these.