Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 76

Thread: Trump Slams ABC for Reporting His Mistaken Statement that Dorian Could Affect Alabama

  1. #1

    Trump Slams ABC for Reporting His Mistaken Statement that Dorian Could Affect Alabama

    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...t-alabama.html

    President Donald Trump lashed out at ABC on Monday evening for daring to report on his inaccurate statement on Hurricane Dorian. Most amazing of all is that the president appears to suggest his mistaken statement wasn’t really mistaken even though he was very publicly corrected by the National Weather Service.

    Trump tweeted Sunday that “in addition to Florida – South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama, will most likely be hit (much) harder than anticipated.” That immediately led to questions because no one had mentioned any risk for Alabama. But this wasn’t an isolated mistake. Trump also told reporters at the White House that “Alabama is going to get a piece of it, looks like.”



    The statement led to such confusion that the National Weather Service immediately contradicted the statement, without mentioning Trump of course. “Alabama will NOT see any impacts from #Dorian,” the National Weather Service office in Birmingham, Alabama tweeted.



    Trump apparently wasn’t happy, though, that ABC News mentioned the issue, and he blasted the network for “a phony hurricane report by lightweight reporter” Jonathan Karl. Trump then went on to say that his statement that “even Alabama could possibly come into play … WAS true.” The president added that “under certain original scenarios, it was in fact correct that Alabama could have received some ‘hurt’.” In the end, the good thing to remember is that it is “always good to be prepared!”




    Trump also said earlier he had never heard of a Category 5 hurricane. This is the fourth one since his presidency- and he also said he had never heard of a Category 5 hurricane each of those times.




    https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...-dorian-2019-9

    "I never even knew a Category 5 existed," he said on September 14, 2017, just days after Hurricane Irma — a Category 5 storm that battered parts of the Caribbean islands before weakening to a Category 4 hurricane when it made landfall in the Florida Keys.

    Later in September, Hurricane Maria devastated parts of Dominica, the US Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. The Category 5 storm weakened to a Category 4 when it hit Puerto Rico. Officials there eventually linked the storm to nearly 3,000 deaths, and the US territory is still recovering from the impacts of the natural disaster.

    "So we've never seen it," Trump said on September 26, 2017, about Maria's impact. "It actually touched down as a Category 5. People have never seen anything like that."

    In October 2017, Trump reiterated claims that Category 5 storms were inconceivable, saying "nobody has ever heard of a 5 hitting land."

    And in May of this year, months after Category 5 Hurricane Michael ravaged the Florida Panhandle, Trump told the crowd at a campaign rally in Panama City Beach, Florida, that he had "never heard about Category 5s before."

    "A Category 5 is big stuff," he said.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-02-2019 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    It is pretty amazing that there can be fighting over a weather prediction. NY city was practically shut down a couple years ago for a forecasted blizzard that never materialized. Each day an everyday rainstorm is transformed into a once in a century catastrophic thunderstorm event. Weather forecasters can be totally wrong today and be relied upon tomorrow. Trump could be as right about the weather as the meteorologists.
    Truth is Fallacy, Fallacy is Evil.

  4. #3
    Trump was not mistaken, a number of the earlier forecasts did include alabama.




  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Trump was not mistaken, a number of the earlier forecasts did include alabama.



    Trump's assertion on September 2nd wasn't that Alabama had been included in earlier forecasts that had since been superseded by more up-to-date forecasts that did not include Alabama. He asserted that as of then (September 2nd) Alabama was likely to get hit even harder than had previously been anticipated. He said the exact opposite of what would have been an accurate characterization of the way the forecasts had changed with respect to Alabama.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Trump was not mistaken, a number of the earlier forecasts did include alabama.



    Model guidance isn't a forecast. The National Hurricane Center never put Alabama in the forecast cone. Trump screwed this up pretty badly.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    It is pretty amazing that there can be fighting over a weather prediction. NY city was practically shut down a couple years ago for a forecasted blizzard that never materialized. Each day an everyday rainstorm is transformed into a once in a century catastrophic thunderstorm event. Weather forecasters can be totally wrong today and be relied upon tomorrow. Trump could be as right about the weather as the meteorologists.
    Good money to be made if you can do better.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Trump was not mistaken, a number of the earlier forecasts did include alabama.
    Those forecasts also include and would affect Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.

    If your Trumpsplaination is correct, why didn't he mention those states?



    Does anyone actually believe that Trump could identify states on a map?
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken


    I don't hate you. You're just some person on the internet who believes in things that aren't real.

  9. #8
    I am positive obama could not identify states on a map , I dunno about trump, flip a coin . Trump would have seen some of these models showing alabama earlier. You ingrates should be glad your president is watching the weather for you and letting you know on twitter . That is a public servant .
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-03-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    Do something Danke



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCifelli1 View Post
    Good money to be made if you can do better.
    My Indian weather rock is hard to beat .
    Do something Danke

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am positive obama could not identify states on a map , I dunno about trump, flip a coin . Trump would have seen some of these models showing alabama earlier. You ingrates should be glad your president is watching the weather for you and letting you know on twitter . That is a public servant .
    If he delegated the tweeting and the golf playing to other federal employees we would save a lot of money.
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken


    I don't hate you. You're just some person on the internet who believes in things that aren't real.

  13. #11
    Trump was probably basing his statement on top secret forecasts that generally aren't available to the public.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Trump's assertion on September 2nd wasn't that Alabama had been included in earlier forecasts that had since been superseded by more up-to-date forecasts that did not include Alabama. He asserted that as of then (September 2nd) Alabama was likely to get hit even harder than had previously been anticipated. He said the exact opposite of what would have been an accurate characterization of the way the forecasts had changed with respect to Alabama.
    Even after the Weather Service corrected him, he continued to make the claim.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ll-hit-alabama

    Despite their clarification, Trump repeated the claim at his press conference later.

    “And, I will say, the states – and it may get a little piece of a great place: It’s called Alabama,” said Trump. “And Alabama could even be in for at least some very strong winds and something more than that, it could be. This just came up, unfortunately. It’s the size of – the storm that we’re talking about. So, for Alabama, just please be careful also.”

    At that same press conference, held at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) headquarters in Washington DC, Trump expressed huge surprise at the “monstrous” size of Dorian, saying he was not sure he had ever heard of a category 5 hurricane before.

    “I have – not sure – I’m not sure that I’ve ever even heard of a category 5,” said Trump. “I knew it existed. And I’ve seen some category 4s; you don’t even see them that much. But a category 5 is something that I don’t know that I’ve even heard the term other than I know it’s there. That’s the ultimate. And that’s what we have, unfortunately.”

    But, as observant viewers were quick to point out, this is a line he has trotted out before. There are at least four other occasions – including as recently as May – that he said he was astonished to discover category 5 hurricanes existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Even after the Weather Service corrected him, he continued to make the claim.
    A difference of opinion, so what? Time will tell who is right.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    A difference of opinion, so what? Time will tell who is right.
    Trump is always right. Even when Trump disagrees with Trump and changes his mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  17. #15

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Trump was probably basing his statement on top secret forecasts that generally aren't available to the public.
    Normally I oppose govt interference in the economy but at this point Trump should shut the birmigham alabama weather office down and teach them a lesson.
    Do something Danke



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Raining outside of Tuscaloosa now .
    Do something Danke

  21. #18

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Trump just owned the globalist media, every time he tweets something he takes up all the air in the room.

    Heavily triggers zippy while at it.
    Rand Paul : Ultimately, if someone's going to accuse you of something that's going to bring down a presidency, I think we deserve to know who that person is.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    What a grotesque embarrassment Rand has become
    Ron Paul : If you're accused of a crime, you have the right to face your accuser.
    ^^^^^^
    Talk about embarrassing...

  23. #20
    Trump can never admit a mistake. Today he produced a map with added lines drawn with a marker trying to show that Dorian was headed for Alabama. The lines were not on the map released last week.

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/polit...map/index.html

    Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump showed a map of Hurricane Dorian's trajectory in the Oval Office on Wednesday afternoon that appeared to include an addition showing the storm potentially affecting a large section of Alabama.

    Trump claimed the map was the original forecast. But a similar image released by the White House last week did not include any impact on Alabama in its forecast.

    "That was the original chart, and you see it was going to hit not only Florida but Georgia," Trump claimed Wednesday during a briefing, while showing a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration map with a black line encircling a portion of Alabama.

    "It took a right turn. And, ultimately, hopefully we're going to be lucky. It depends on what happens with South Carolina and North Carolina," he added.
    An early archived version of a NOAA map from Thursday, August 29, showed the hurricane veering left toward Florida, but it did not appear to have a black line to show Alabama would be affected.

    CNN Weather meteorologists say one forecast on Friday afternoon showed one-tenth of one county in extreme southwest Alabama was included in one model. But that map bears little resemblance to the one Trump showed on Wednesday. And the official track from the National Hurricane Center never showed Dorian's track entering the Gulf of Mexico, as Trump also claimed.

    "I know that Alabama was in the original forecast," Trump said later Wednesday when asked about the image he showed, adding that there were other maps showing Alabama being "hit very hard."

    Asked whether the black line over Alabama was made with a permanent marker, Trump said, "I don't know. I don't know."

    A source familiar with the matter says the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees the Federal Emergency Management Agency, did not provide the altered map Trump showed in the Oval Office.

    "The map was not brought by DHS for this briefing," the source said.
    Original map:



    Trump's new version of the map:




    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...an-alabama-map

    The Washington Post’s Capital Weather Gang wondered whether Trump had been using the map to rationalize his mistake and also pointed out issuing false or altered official weather forecasts is a violation of US law:

    Altering official government weather forecasts isn’t just a cause for concern — it’s actually illegal. Per 18 U.S. Code 2074, which addresses false weather reports, “Whoever knowingly issues or publishes any counterfeit weather forecast or warning of weather conditions falsely representing such forecast or warning to have been issued or published by the Weather Bureau, United States Signal Service, or other branch of the Government service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-04-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  24. #21


    As you can see, almost all models predicted it to go through Florida also hitting Georgia and Alabama. I accept the Fake News apologies!
    Actually only a couple of the more extreme models do. Not "almost all". And by the time he made the Alabama claim on September 1st, none of the models showed it hitting Alabama.

    Trump had re-tweeted a projection map from the National Weather Service five hours earlier which did not show Alabama threatened by the storm prior to his tweet warning Alabama.



    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-04-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The Washington Post’s Capital Weather Gang wondered whether Trump had been using the map to rationalize his mistake and also pointed out issuing false or altered official weather forecasts is a violation of US law:

    Altering official government weather forecasts isn’t just a cause for concern — it’s actually illegal. Per 18 U.S. Code 2074, which addresses false weather reports, “Whoever knowingly issues or publishes any counterfeit weather forecast or warning of weather conditions falsely representing such forecast or warning to have been issued or published by the Weather Bureau, United States Signal Service, or other branch of the Government service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both.”
    Jeebus! Trump doubles down on something stupid, and of course, rather than just roll their eyes and move on, the media sees his bet and raises him ... jeebus!

    SMH ... Pretty soon we're gonna be hearing about "Doriangate" ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-04-2019 at 05:20 PM.


    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

    • "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law." - The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      - Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      - Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

    · tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·
    MOFA (Make Orwell Fiction Again)

  26. #23
    The Sharpie thing. OK, first time I'll write this but I think it's an indicator that Trump is trying to show everyone how fake and stupid this all is. I mean...come on.

    The alternative....is just too much...is that we truly have a certifiable loon holding the highest visible public office in the land.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

    Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

    Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

    Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    The Sharpie thing. OK, first time I'll write this but I think it's an indicator that Trump is trying to show everyone how fake and stupid this all is. I mean...come on.

    The alternative....is just too much...is that we truly have a certifiable loon holding the highest visible public office in the land.
    Careful, you'll be labeled as having TDS if you start thinking the emperor has no clothes.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

    BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    If you think Trump says some crazy schite just wait till Joey gets the podium.
    Truth is Fallacy, Fallacy is Evil.

  30. #26
    I always thought it funny that the man did all the driving. He drives all the time. The woman complains about the mans driving. But the man drives whenever they go out. When they go on vacation. He drives all the time. It stands to reason that a person that rarely gets behind the wheel would have less opportunity to cause an accident or get a moving violation.

    There have been presidents that have been in office for multiple terms that rarely say a word. You wouldn't even know they were in office. All their statements were prepared for them. They never answered questions. A President that communicates with the people multiple times each day via a hand held device will obviously have more opportunity to say something wrong than a President that rarely ever speaks to the public.

    A person that sits behind a desk all day has little opportunity to be injured when compared to a construction worker. Yet, the office worker might consider the construction worker accident prone.

    Imagine Trump said, "You people in Alabama don't have anything to worry about. I have looked at the models. The storm is never going to get anywhere near you."
    Truth is Fallacy, Fallacy is Evil.

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Careful, you'll be labeled as having TDS if you start thinking the emperor has no clothes.
    I have to believe that he's subtly trolling everyone to make them wake up. Have to. Millions upon millions hang raptly to every word uttered from a room hundreds or thousands of miles away. Trot out such a ridiculous thing as that Sharpie map, with a serious look and tone? Gotta be trolling to show how ridiculous it is that people spend so much time thinking and fighting about what he says day-to-day. Right?

    If not.....the alternative.....just too much.

    (eta: or they're coding info into this sort of stuff, also a possibility. Alabama hurricane, buying Greenland, etc. Yeah codes. Anything but the alternative that this dude is a complete loon.)
    Last edited by devil21; 09-05-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

    Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

    Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

    Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

  32. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I always thought it funny that the man did all the driving. He drives all the time. The woman complains about the mans driving. But the man drives whenever they go out. When they go on vacation. He drives all the time. It stands to reason that a person that rarely gets behind the wheel would have less opportunity to cause an accident or get a moving violation.

    There have been presidents that have been in office for multiple terms that rarely say a word. You wouldn't even know they were in office. All their statements were prepared for them. They never answered questions. A President that communicates with the people multiple times each day via a hand held device will obviously have more opportunity to say something wrong than a President that rarely ever speaks to the public.

    A person that sits behind a desk all day has little opportunity to be injured when compared to a construction worker. Yet, the office worker might consider the construction worker accident prone.

    Imagine Trump said, "You people in Alabama don't have anything to worry about. I have looked at the models. The storm is never going to get anywhere near you."
    Or, after he made the mistake one time, and then was corrected, he could simply have admitted the mistake, said his statement was based on an earlier model that had since been superseded, reassured the people of Alabama in light of the latest models, and nobody would have thought anything of it.

    Instead, he gets so wound up about having a mistake pointed out and insistent that he never makes mistakes, that he can't bring himself to do that.

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Or, after he made the mistake one time, and then was corrected, he could simply have admitted the mistake, said his statement was based on an earlier model that had since been superseded, reassured the people of Alabama in light of the latest models, and nobody would have thought anything of it.

    Instead, he gets so wound up about having a mistake pointed out and insistent that he never makes mistakes, that he can't bring himself to do that.
    He didnt make a mistake.

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    He didnt make a mistake.
    He made a false statement in the tweet provided in the OP. After he made that false statement, his own National Weather Service had to issue a statement saying the opposite of what he said. And then he still wouldn't admit that his statement, which was easily proven false, actually was false.

    The only consolation I can see is that his own reputation for truthfulness is so nonexistent, that nobody in Alabama was liable to take him seriously.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. I was mistaken about Donald Trump and the taxes
    By dude58677 in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-10-2019, 06:34 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-15-2018, 10:09 PM
  3. Trump's reciprocal tax: What it is and how it could affect you
    By Zippyjuan in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2018, 02:12 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 01:12 AM
  5. New Dorian Elektra video
    By Hayek's Heroes in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •