Thread: Sheriff Mistakes Innocent Man for Suspect, Dumps 10 Rounds Into Him—NO CHARGES

Sheriff Mistakes Innocent Man for Suspect, Dumps 10 Rounds Into Him—NO CHARGES

Kimble County, TX — Kimble County Sheriff Hilario Cantu is taking fire in the form of criticism after he opened fire on an innocent man, dumping 10 rounds into him and his truck. Quite unlike what the general public would face, in the form of criminal charges, Cantu will likely face no charges, serve no time in jail, and will potentially not even be disciplined for shooting up the wrong moving vehicle. What started out as a traffic stop for a missing license plate nearly turned deadly for both one police officer and one hapless innocent bystander.

When officer Lee Meadow pulled over a Gray Chevy Colorado pickup he had no idea the motorist would allegedly pull out a gun and shoot at him as he was standing beside the driver’s side window. After the certain brush with death, the suspect fled. Meadow then radioed in that a suspect in a Gray Chevy Colorado had shot at him and then fled.

Hearing the call come over the radio, Cantu and another deputy grabbed some long guns, and ran out of the police precinct to intercept the wanna-be cop killer. Cantu and his deputy took a position along an exit of the highway and noticed a truck coming in their direction and believed it to be the suspect vehicle. Cantu took aim and fired 10 rounds of .223 ammunition from his AR-15 into the truck. But there was one major problem. The truck Cantu shot was a White Silverado not a Gray Colorado. It also had only two doors—not four.

Despite there being a difference in size between the two vehicles, and the fact the truck was a completely different color, Cantu fired at the truck nonetheless. The sheriff’s bullets found their mark with at least one of the bullets piercing the side of Hugo Reyes, an oil field worker from West Texas. Reyes was on the phone with his wife, Amparo Villareal, at the time he was shot. She told reporters:

He told me he saw the police on the side of the road…He thought it was weird that they had big guns…Suddenly we heard this ruckus. I thought he’d gotten distracted and he’d hit somebody. Then the phone cut off.

Reyes has yet to make a formal statement but his lawyer described what happened next to the innocent victim in the shooting. Bobby Garcia, the family’s lawyer, said Reyes was treated like a cop shooter when he arrived at the hospital and said the man suffered dearly. According to the Houston Chronicle:

He said Reyes was hit by several bullets and suffered two collapsed lungs and an injured liver. Villarreal said her husband spent several days in the hospital. She said he only recently was able to return to work.

The family is now over $250,000 in debt to medical bills and they have yet to receive so much as an apology from Cantu or the county. Garcia says it has been an apparent nightmare for the family. They have yet to file a lawsuit against the sheriff and the county.

According to the Houston Chronicle, a grand jury refused to indict Cantu and he was not disciplined for his actions. Cantu said he thought of his wife’s car which was a white-like silver when he heard the call of a gray truck come over the radio. In fact, the sheriff said he would do it all over again if presented with the same circumstances which he faced on that fateful day. As for the real shooting suspect, the Chronicle writes:

continued https://thefreethoughtproject.com/sh...im-no-charges/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I definitely feel safer with Heroes like this out there "protecting and serving."
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Sorry, this is not an acceptable mistake. Firing at a minimum.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Sorry, this is not an acceptable mistake. Firing at a minimum.
    They should probably be able to keep their pensions though. I'm sure they have a family to feed.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    They should probably be able to keep their pensions though. I'm sure they have a family to feed.
    Jahahahahahahha

OH
    MY
    SIDES!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Wonder if this was an elected Sheriff? Voters are as likely to vote him out as the Grand Jury was to indict.

How often do Grand Juries fail to indict?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

t would be terrible if this Shire-Reeve experienced a zero-dark-thirty raid that ended his life.

The sheriff and his deputy stationed themselves at a highway exit just west of Junction. Noah set up close to the guardrail in case he had to quickly bail out. Soon the sheriff saw a pickup heading their way “at a high rate of speed” and suddenly switching lanes.

Cantu raised his rifle as the truck approached. He fired as it sped past, pocking the vehicle with a line of ten bullet holes that ran from the front panel across the passenger door and into the rear of the cab. The truck drifted off the road about a quarter-mile ahead.

“Sheriff Cantu then looked back and saw that the actual suspect vehicle being pursued was now approaching,” a report from that day states. The vehicle he’d shot into was not a gray Colorado, but a white Silverado.

“At this point,” according to the document, “Sheriff Cantu realized that he had fired on the wrong vehicle.”
    Roberts said Sheriff Cantu was not disciplined for the incident. Cantu said if he had to do it over again, his behavior wouldn’t change.

"If the same exact circumstances came up on the day after, I would do the same thing," he said.
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...e-14395847.php
    Did he also fire at the second pickup? Or did Sheriff “I would do the same thing” not do the same thing?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wonder if this was an elected Sheriff? Voters are as likely to vote him out as the Grand Jury was to indict.

0.0067901 percent of the time

Did he also fire at the second pickup? Or did Sheriff “I would do the same thing” not do the same thing?
    It sounds like he did not do the same thing..

Sharrod Moore, who was fleeing a murder he’d committed in El Paso, pulled off the highway at the exit past Sheriff Cantu and killed himself.
    Either that or he missed the second time.
    "The Patriarch"

To a first approximation: about as often as prosecutors want them to fail to indict ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

The good people of Maricopa County re-elected Joe Arpaio over and over for 24 years despite the massive corruption.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Kimble County, TX — Kimble County Sheriff Hilario Cantu is taking fire in the form of criticism after he opened fire on an innocent man, dumping 10 rounds into him and his truck. Quite unlike what the general public would face, in the form of criminal charges, Cantu will likely face no charges, serve no time in jail, and will potentially not even be disciplined for shooting up the wrong moving vehicle. What started out as a traffic stop for a missing license plate nearly turned deadly for both one police officer and one hapless innocent bystander.

When officer Lee Meadow pulled over a Gray Chevy Colorado pickup he had no idea the motorist would allegedly pull out a gun and shoot at him as he was standing beside the driver’s side window. After the certain brush with death, the suspect fled. Meadow then radioed in that a suspect in a Gray Chevy Colorado had shot at him and then fled.

Hearing the call come over the radio, Cantu and another deputy grabbed some long guns, and ran out of the police precinct to intercept the wanna-be cop killer. Cantu and his deputy took a position along an exit of the highway and noticed a truck coming in their direction and believed it to be the suspect vehicle. Cantu took aim and fired 10 rounds of .223 ammunition from his AR-15 into the truck. But there was one major problem. The truck Cantu shot was a White Silverado not a Gray Colorado. It also had only two doors—not four.

Despite there being a difference in size between the two vehicles, and the fact the truck was a completely different color, Cantu fired at the truck nonetheless. The sheriff’s bullets found their mark with at least one of the bullets piercing the side of Hugo Reyes, an oil field worker from West Texas. Reyes was on the phone with his wife, Amparo Villareal, at the time he was shot. She told reporters:

He told me he saw the police on the side of the road…He thought it was weird that they had big guns…Suddenly we heard this ruckus. I thought he’d gotten distracted and he’d hit somebody. Then the phone cut off.

Reyes has yet to make a formal statement but his lawyer described what happened next to the innocent victim in the shooting. Bobby Garcia, the family’s lawyer, said Reyes was treated like a cop shooter when he arrived at the hospital and said the man suffered dearly. According to the Houston Chronicle:

He said Reyes was hit by several bullets and suffered two collapsed lungs and an injured liver. Villarreal said her husband spent several days in the hospital. She said he only recently was able to return to work.

The family is now over $250,000 in debt to medical bills and they have yet to receive so much as an apology from Cantu or the county. Garcia says it has been an apparent nightmare for the family. They have yet to file a lawsuit against the sheriff and the county.

According to the Houston Chronicle, a grand jury refused to indict Cantu and he was not disciplined for his actions. Cantu said he thought of his wife’s car which was a white-like silver when he heard the call of a gray truck come over the radio. In fact, the sheriff said he would do it all over again if presented with the same circumstances which he faced on that fateful day. As for the real shooting suspect, the Chronicle writes:

continued https://thefreethoughtproject.com/sh...im-no-charges/
    So much freedom.......
    There is no spoon.

Sheriff Mistakes Innocent Man for Suspect, Dumps 10 Rounds Into Him—NO CHARGES
    NOT INTENTIONALLY MALEVOLENT

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Just for re-edification.

To a first approximation: about as often as prosecutors want them to fail to indict ...
    Ham sammich.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Of course not. Everyone knows that the triggers on cops' guns are known to quite often pull themselves. In this case it was only 10 times so a relatively minor incident. Thank God the officer is ok.
    Chris

Dupe
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ham sammich.
    It's how Just-Us gets done ...

and will potentially not even be disciplined for shooting up the wrong moving vehicle.
    Why would he be? Policy was followed.

The important thing is that the Officer is OK - ricochets can be quite dangerous.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Why would he be? Policy was followed.

The important thing is that the Officer is OK - ricochets can be quite dangerous.
    Right? Stupid civilian should be thanking the officer for not giving him all 30 rounds...

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieInColorado View Post
    Right? Stupid civilian should be thanking the officer for not giving him all 30 rounds...

Don't you mean for stopping his rifle from firing itself before all 30 rounds had been discharged? It was a COP'S gun, after all.
    Chris

Ham sammich.
    In Bonnie Parker's hand when ambushed.. ,, btw
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    In Bonnie Parker's hand when ambushed.. ,, btw
    Did not now that, Thanks.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did not now that, Thanks.
    Heard the story from Family years back.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Scumbag of a sheriff. Guy should lose his badge and never be allowed to work for law enforcement again.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

is taking fire in the form of criticism
    I was hoping for something a little different.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Roberts said Sheriff Cantu was not disciplined for the incident. Cantu said if he had to do it over again, his behavior wouldn’t change.
    This is infuriating.

Cops must be instructed by their unions or other cops to say this whether it's true or not in order to avoid punishment. It's so overused of a line in the most ridiculous and inexcusable situations that that must be the explanation.

Good God would not some lawyer down there step up and file suit against the county for this mans medical bills and lost wages ? I could find a volunteer here .
    Do something Danke