Thread: Trump says West Texas shooting 'hasn't changed anything' in ongoing gun talks

Trump says West Texas shooting 'hasn't changed anything' in ongoing gun talks

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...in-ongoing-gun

He does not say what measures he would support. He has been on both sides of background checks (changing that by the day).

President Trump said Sunday that he is still talking to Congress about measures to stem gun violence but that Saturday’s shooting in West Texas that left seven people dead “hasn’t changed anything.”

Trump also asserted that stricter background checks wouldn’t have stopped mass shootings over the past several years.

“We're looking at the same things,” Trump told reporters at the White House after returning from a weekend at Camp David. “It really hasn't changed anything."

“A lot of people are talking about it and that’s irrespective of what happened yesterday in Texas,” Trump said of possible gun reform measures.

Trump noted he is talking to lawmakers and mentioned background checks, but claimed “they would not have stopped any” of the mass shootings over the past several years. He also repeated that he believes gun violence to be a mental health issue.

“We're looking at a lot of different things. We're looking at a lot of different bills. Ideas, concepts. It's been going on for a long while,” Trump told reporters.

“Background checks – I will say that for the most part, sadly, if you look at the last four or five, going back even five or six or seven years – for the most part, as strong as you make your background checks, they would not have stopped any of it. So it's a big problem. It's a mental problem. It's a big problem,” Trump said.

Authorities said the gunman, who has yet to be identified, was shot and killed after going on a shooting spree Saturday afternoon that killed seven people and left more than 20 wounded. The shooter began the rampage during a traffic stop and continued through the city of Odessa, shooting people from his vehicle.

Trump called the shooter a “very sick person” and praised Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and state law enforcement for their response to the shooting.

"It's tragic. But they did an incredible job under the circumstances. Another very sick person. So I just want to thank everybody involved. And always, you say, as bad as it was, it could have been worse. But it was certainly bad. A very, very sad situation,” Trump told reporters.

Trump has seemed to vacillate on his support for background checks in the wake of two separate mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, within a 24-hour period in August that left more than 30 dead.

After those shootings Trump signaled he would support stricter background checks, only to later assert that the United States already has “very strong background checks” and repeat a common National Rifle Association (NRA) talking point by warning of a “slippery slope” of enacting gun reform legislation.

“I have an appetite for background checks,” Trump told reporters on Aug. 21. “We have a lot of background checks right now.”

Trump has said it was important for lawmakers to fix the “weak” areas in the current system and emphasized that he believes gun violence to be a mental health issue.

Trump has denied reports that he spoke to NRA chief Wayne LaPierre last month and told him that universal background checks were off the table, saying instead they discussed closing “loopholes” in the current system in a way that preserves people’s Second Amendment rights.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, the Gun Grabber in Chief is back at it, eh? Yippee.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    So, the Gun Grabber in Chief is back at it, eh? Yippee.
    Politics. Looking like he is "doing something" while not doing anything. NRA set him straight on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Politics. Looking like he is "doing something" while not doing anything. NRA set him straight on that.
    What would you like him to do?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    What would you like him to do?
    Issue me some machine guns and artillery so I can have a proper militia.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Bull$#@!. The mere fact that he lends the idea of gun control (victim disarmament) legitimacy by touting it as a possible solution and supporting specific measures like red flag laws has already done significant damage and will continue to do so. He's opened Pandora's Box, brought almost 25 years worth of positive momentum to a screeching halt and handed the initiative over to the gun grabbers. Even if no bills get passed at the federal level we now have a wave of egregious gun control proposals sweeping the country at the state and local levels all because the Blowhard in Chief has whipped the gun grabbers up into a feeding frenzy with his political idiocy. Hardly the insignificant results you imply.

And, as for the NRA "set[ting] him straight" goes, the very idea is laughable. The NRA fully endorses red flag laws and as we speak is no doubt busily helping local and state lawmakers to craft such laws. The NRA has always been the biggest and most successful gun control lobbying organization in the country. "Set him straight" my ass.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Bull$#@!. The mere fact that he lends the idea of gun control (victim disarmament) legitimacy by touting it as a possible solution and supporting specific measures like red flag laws has already done significant damage and will continue to do so. He's opened Pandora's Box, brought almost 25 years worth of positive momentum to a screeching halt and handed the initiative over to the gun grabbers. Even if no bills get passed at the federal level we now have a wave of egregious gun control proposals sweeping the country at the state and local levels all because the Blowhard in Chief has whipped the gun grabbers up into a feeding frenzy with his political idiocy. Hardly the insignificant results you imply.

And, as for the NRA "set[ting] him straight" goes, the very idea is laughable. The NRA fully endorses red flag laws and as we speak is no doubt busily helping local and state lawmakers to craft such laws. The NRA has always been the biggest and most successful gun control lobbying organization in the country. "Set him straight" my ass.
    He was almost universally opposed by Republicans on red flag laws. People even said they wouldn't vote for him if he signs anything like that. Unless you think thats a hill he is willing to die on i dont see how this is going to change anything.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What, exactly. was supposed to change?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Absolutely nothing.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CCTelander again.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

WORD
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...chine-gun-ban/

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/how-to-buy-tank/

Oyarde the Commandante of the RPF Militia.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

While speaking to reporters Sunday morning President Trump said stronger background checks would not have stopped the mass public attacks our nation has witnessed over the past six or seven years.

Trump said, “I will say that for the most part, sadly if you look at the last four or five going back even five or six or seven years, for the most part, as strong as you make your background checks, they would not have stopped any of it.”

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-stop-attacks/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...checks-1479452

Trump largely attributed the shootings to mental health issues and said the mass attacks have “been going on for a long time” and that he wants to reduce them.

“It would be wonderful to say — to say ‘eliminate,’ but we want to substantially reduce the violent crime — and actually, in any form,” he said at the start of a briefing on Hurricane Dorian. “This includes strong measures to keep weapons out of the hands of dangerous and deranged individuals, and substantial reforms to our nation's broken mental health system.”

The president added: “To reduce violence, we must also ensure that criminals with guns are put behind bars and kept off the streets.

After the early August shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Trump called for changes to mental health laws but also took to Twitter to mention discussions in Congress over “meaningful background checks” for people who are purchasing firearms.

“Serious discussions are taking place between House and Senate leadership on meaningful Background Checks,” Trump wrote on Twitter days after those shootings. “I have also been speaking to the NRA, and others, so that their very strong views can be fully represented and respected.

Trump also added that he is the “biggest Second Amendment person there is, but we all must work together for the good and safety of our Country.”

Polling has indicated that the idea of universal background checks is extremely popular with the American public, even among people who do strongly favor the right to own firearms. In contrast, focusing on mental health has been a more popular approach with those who would prefer there be no new restrictions on guns of any kind.

In his Sunday remarks, Trump said, "Public safety is our No. 1 priority," but reiterated his support to "protect our Second Amendment."

Trump is correct. The Odessa shooter pleaded guilty to criminal charges in 2001. He wouldn't have passed a background check if he bought the weapon legally.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by revgen View Post
    Trump is correct. The Odessa shooter pleaded guilty to criminal charges in 2001. He wouldn't have passed a background check if he bought the weapon legally.
    According to reports, he did fail a background check. (the criminal charge in 2001 was misdemeanor trespassing and resting arrest at the age of 18)