Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bernie Sanders Signals He’s Open to a ‘Meat Tax’ to Combat Climate Change

What About the Consumption of Our Food's Food?

“With that being known, what do you plan on doing to ensure that Americans limit their consumption of animal products?” she asked.
    Oh, I see. So it's okay for other carnivores in nature to have unlimited consumption of meat, but it's not okay for carnivores who are human.

So we're going to be forced by legislative decree to consume more of the food that animals in nature depend upon for their survival (plants) and hope that has no negative effects on ecosystems and animal populations.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    Oh, I see. So it's okay for other carnivores in nature to have unlimited consumption of meat, but it's not okay for carnivores who are human.

So we're going to be forced by legislative decree to consume more of the food that animals in nature depend upon for their survival (plants) and hope that has no negative effects on ecosystems and animal populations.
    Humans are omnivores. But mostly herbivores.
    Last edited by Danke; 08-31-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

No "Double Meat Special" For You!

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Don't forget the mandatory checkups to determine your metabolic rate.
    That so reminds me of this:

"Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Making a Parallel

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Humans are omnivores.
    Yes, I know humans are omnivores, but I called them carnivores as a comparison to animal carnivores.

I believe the crops consume more carbon than trees and the government shouldn't be involved.

There are places where planting trees would be good though, especially if they were fruit trees etc.
    I thought the larger trees managed more carbon as well as trapping water, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

It was just an interesting counter argument I heard to have a kind of managed forest with grazing animals for food. I think they also suggested this would be better for the land itself instead of crops slurping up what little nutrients are in the ground or that it would have better bacteria in the soil.

Also, might nesting birds eat up and manage insect pests?

https://medium.com/environmental-int...ds-a064aead239

A tree grows tall and deep, spreading both its branches above the ground and its roots underground, therefore it makes the ground fresher and softer for other plants to settle. The roots increase the soil drainage and aeration, some trees can even fix nitrogen and enrich the soil. The leaves and branches of the tree shadow the ground and reduce the soil evapotranspiration and thus reduce the need for irrigation. A tree is the home of various living beings such as insects, birds and plants.

A tree is also great for farmers. It can be a source of food and medicine for home, and a source of fodder for the livestock. The wood can also be burnt and used to cook or warm up the house. A tree is definitely a valuable companion, so why are farmers neglecting it?

First, the period necessary for a tree to reach its productive stage is long. Fruit trees often need more than 3–5 years to start producing, and their optimum productive age comes even later. Farmers want to grow fast cash crops which will give them a sufficient income to send their children to school and university.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Suzaminal would probably like to watch your child sacrifices and use it as skin cream/moisturizer.
    No children are sacrificed in my facials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I thought the larger trees managed more carbon as well as trapping water, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

It was just an interesting counter argument I heard to have a kind of managed forest with grazing animals for food. I think they also suggested this would be better for the land itself instead of crops slurping up what little nutrients are in the ground or that it would have better bacteria in the soil.

Also, might nesting birds eat up and manage insect pests?

https://medium.com/environmental-int...ds-a064aead239

A tree grows tall and deep, spreading both its branches above the ground and its roots underground, therefore it makes the ground fresher and softer for other plants to settle. The roots increase the soil drainage and aeration, some trees can even fix nitrogen and enrich the soil. The leaves and branches of the tree shadow the ground and reduce the soil evapotranspiration and thus reduce the need for irrigation. A tree is the home of various living beings such as insects, birds and plants.

A tree is also great for farmers. It can be a source of food and medicine for home, and a source of fodder for the livestock. The wood can also be burnt and used to cook or warm up the house. A tree is definitely a valuable companion, so why are farmers neglecting it?

First, the period necessary for a tree to reach its productive stage is long. Fruit trees often need more than 3–5 years to start producing, and their optimum productive age comes even later. Farmers want to grow fast cash crops which will give them a sufficient income to send their children to school and university.
    Farmers are [largely] growing corn and soy because the government is subsidizing them to grow corn and soy. Many live on the assumption of these subsidies continuing and would be bankrupt if the federal government did not bail them out.

What I've read/heard on the subject is that different animals have different patterns and natural microbes that translate to healthier/less sick/happier/natural animals and that it strengthens the ecosystem. Periods of agitation to the crop, then they rest and grow stronger (much the way you would use a fan to mimic the wind if you were growing inside as the stalk wouldn't ever be agitated enough to grow strong enough to hold the weight of the fruit).

Tod Evans recently posted a Joel Salatin, Joe Rogan podcast that was breathtakingly simple but which explained why it benefits humans to farm in a way that most mimics nature. A lot of interesting conversation about pathogens and why it makes sense not to have chickens, or cows, or what have you, confined to a monospecies, stationary building.

Very interesting, common sense type stuff.

As to the OP, Bernie Sanders will tax meat gladly. He doesn't have to think about the cost what with all of his [taxpayer funded] comped meals, taxpayer funded salary, taxpayer funded travel etc.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Is there a tax he isn't open to?
    No , none . Ever . Thats what the dems have to offer.
    Do something Danke

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't forget the mandatory checkups to determine your metabolic rate.
    Ugh, yeah mandated by the single payer state run healthcare system.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Feel the Bern Holodomor
    +rep.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

He wants to tax steak?

-rep Bernie
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    “Getting taxed to breathe” in 5.....4.....3....

Another presidential candidate completely clueless about current taxation of the agricultural sector? Say it isn't so! Just like 95% of the rest of the country whose understanding of the food doesn't go beyond the plastic wrapped foam trays with semi-edible crap underneath it.

Navigating the tax maze of livestock sales
    https://www.progressivedairy.com/top...ivestock-sales

Little did I know that in a matter of years I would once again be back working in the agriculture field, this time as a CPA and tax adviser rather than moving hand-line sprinklers. This article relates directly to my first farm job, feeding and raising calves, with a discussion of the varying tax treatments that result from the sale of livestock.

The tax code is a maze of varying income tax rates and rules governing the application of these rates. Navigating this maze can be a complex task but understanding the various rules can greatly aid in tax planning for dairy farmers as they manage their livestock.

The tax treatment governing the sale of livestock is dependent on several factors including the purpose for which the livestock is held, the time period the livestock is held and whether the livestock was purchased or raised. There are also some favorable tax planning opportunities available when livestock must be sold due to weather and other disaster-related conditions.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12