Thread: President Trump Tweets Sensitive Surveillance Image of Iran

President Trump Tweets Sensitive Surveillance Image of Iran

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/30/75599...-image-of-iran

President Trump has tweeted what experts say is almost certainly an image from a classified satellite or drone, showing the aftermath of an accident at an Iranian space facility.

"The United States of America was not involved in the catastrophic accident during final launch preparations for the Safir [Space Launch Vehicle] Launch at Semnan Launch Site One in Iran," the president said in a tweet that accompanied the image on Friday. "I wish Iran best wishes and good luck in determining what happened at Site One."

NPR broke the news of the launch failure on Thursday, using images from commercial satellites that flew over Iran's Imam Khomeini Space Center. Those images showed smoke billowing from the pad. Iran has since acknowledged an accident occurred at the site.

Some of the highest-resolution imagery available commercially comes from the company Maxar, whose WorldView-2 satellite sports 46-centimeter resolution.

But the image shown in the president's tweet appears to be of far better quality, says Ankit Panda, an adjunct senior fellow at the Federation of American Scientists, who specializes in analyzing satellite imagery. "The resolution is amazingly high," says Panda. "I would think it's probably below well below 20 centimeters, which is much higher than anything I've ever seen."

Panda says that the tweet discloses "some pretty amazing capabilities that the public simply wasn't privy to before this."

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence referred questions about the image to the White House, which declined to comment.

The image shows the aftermath of the accident, which experts believe took place while the rocket was being fueled. Clearly visible is the truck used to transport and erect the rocket, and the words "The product of national empowerment," which have been written along the edge of the pad. The picture also shows extensive debris and charring around the pad.

It was not entirely clear where the president's photo came from. Panda believes it was most likely taken by a classified U.S. satellite. But Melissa Hanham, deputy director of the Open Nuclear Network at the One Earth Foundation, believes that the resolution is so high, it may be beyond the physical limits at which satellites can operate. "The atmosphere is thick enough that after somewhere around 11 to 9 centimeters, things get wonky," she says.

That could mean it was taken by a drone or spy plane, though such a vehicle would be violating Iranian airspace. Hanham also says that the European company Airbus has been experimenting with drones that fly so high, they are technically outside the atmosphere and thus operating outside national boundaries. But she says she doesn't know whether the U.S. has such a system.

Glare in the center of the image suggests the image in the tweet was itself a photo of a briefing slide. Panda suggests it could have been displayed on a computer screen in a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility. It's also possible it was a photo of a piece of paper.

Either way, Panda notes that a small redaction in the upper left-hand corner suggests the intelligence community had cleared the image for release by the president.

But both he and Hanham question whether releasing it was a good idea. "You really risk giving away the way you know things," Hanham says. "That allows people to adapt and hide how they carry out illicit activity."

"These are closely held national secrets," Panda adds. "We don't even share a lot of this kind of imagery with our closest allies." In tweeting it out to the world, Trump is letting Iran know exactly what the U.S. is capable of. He's also letting others know as well, Panda says. "The Russians and the Chinese, you're letting them know that these are the kind of things that the United States has the capability of seeing," he says.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...g-photo-2019-8

US official confirms that Trump tweeted out a picture from a classified intelligence briefing

A US official told CNBC on Friday that a photo of an Iranian launch pad that President Donald Trump tweeted out in the afternoon came from an intelligence briefing Trump received earlier in the day.
    Shortly after Trump made his statement, military and national-security experts began sounding the alarm that the president likely tweeted out classified intelligence.

"I think I just got flexed on by the president," David Schmerler, a leading expert on open source imagery analysis, told Business Insider of the image. Schmerler had spent hours the night before analyzing the widely available pictures of the failed launch, but was blown away by the quality of Trump's image.

"I've never seen anything like this before," he said. "I know that [the US military has] amazing capabilities, but I don't know what this is."

Insider reached out to the White House and the National Security Council and asked for confirmation that the photo was of the Iranian launch pad; what the classification level of the photo was; and whether it was taken inside a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF), at which photos are not permitted.

Neither immediately responded to the request for comment.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ng-iran-2019-8

So Trump's photo revealed either that the US has fantastic satellite photography capabilities, far beyond what Iran, or even US civilians can get their hands on, or that the US had a drone close enough to take pictures.

However, the extreme angle of the picture makes it look like it wasn't taken from space, but rather from an aircraft.

The launch took place at the Imam Khomeini Space Center North West of Tehran. This location is more than 120 miles from Iran's nearest border. If a drone took the photo, it was either flying over Iranian airspace undetected or somehow able to take a great picture from 120 miles away.

Both of those situations involving drone photography would be big news.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-30-2019 at 04:14 PM.

We probably have even greater capabilities.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

As POTUS Trump can declassify anything he wants.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's likely a satellite photo, not a drone...

In California they are using satellite photos to find illicit cannabis farms. The photo would have to be a lot better than the one in the OP to detect a small cannabis farm.

Then they send the growers a warning letter and give them a date to take down the farm by. Then they go take more satellite photos after that date, and if the farm is still there they go raid them.

It isn't even national security related, this is a state doing it. I'm not sure how this satellite picture of a launch pad is a big deal at all. Ever hear of Google Maps?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    What about the Secretary of State?

All these leftists have heard for the last few years is about Hillary releasing classified information. Then when Trump does it, they are like, "Ahhhh HAHH!!! We gotch you!!"

Leftards acting like Hillary was President or something, lol...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's likely a satellite photo, not a drone...

In California they are using satellite photos to find illicit cannabis farms. The photo would have to be a lot better than the one in the OP to detect a small cannabis farm.

Then they send the growers a warning letter and give them a date to take down the farm by. Then they go take more satellite photos after that date, and if the farm is still there they go raid them.

It isn't even national security related, this is a state doing it. I'm not sure how this satellite picture of a launch pad is a big deal at all. Ever hear of Google Maps?
    As the first article notes, due to distortions in the Earth's atmosphere, there are limits as to how sharp an image you can get with a satellite- even with improved resolution optics.

But Melissa Hanham, deputy director of the Open Nuclear Network at the One Earth Foundation, believes that the resolution is so high, it may be beyond the physical limits at which satellites can operate. "The atmosphere is thick enough that after somewhere around 11 to 9 centimeters, things get wonky," she says.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Hi.

Been doing 3d modeling for over a decade, both computational fluid dynamics, and regular 3d rendering, as well as PBR game engine art.

These images are fake.

Not even going to tell you how I know, but....

..once again, American intelligence and propaganda has shown itself to be completely inept.

I bet the "artist" making these images had over two weeks to put it together, and did nto even start working on it until 2 days after deadline. (bet their facebook and Tinder has got lots of attention though!)

Clearly an amateur, or perhaps school trained and did not do his homework, before daddy got him a position with the CIA or some other nonsense.

Anyways, 100% sure fake. Poor fake at that. Bluff, trying to claim to be able to see more clear than they can.

You have to have a 3d artist (not photoshop artist) with AT LEAST 5 years working experience to make a good fake. This artist clearly had less than a year, his/her mistakes are so amateur.

And of course the brass giving the go ahead don't know any better what to look for.

This is ridiculous.

XD
    Last edited by UWDude; 08-30-2019 at 05:42 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Hi.

Been doing 3d modeling for over a decade, both computational fluid dynamics, and regular 3d rendering, as well as PBR game engine art.

These images are fake.

Not even going to tell you how I know, but....

..once again, American intelligence and propaganda has shown itself to be completely inept.

I bet the "artist" making these images had over two weeks to put it together, and did nto even start working on it until 2 days after deadline. (bet their facebook and Tinder has got lots of attention though!)

Clearly an amateur, or perhaps school trained and did not do his homework, before daddy got him a position with the CIA or some other nonsense.

Anyways, 100% sure fake. Poor fake at that. Bluff, trying to claim to be able to see more clear than they can.

You have to have a 3d artist (not photoshop artist) with AT LEAST 5 years working experience to make a good fake. This artist clearly had less than a year, his/her mistakes are so amateur.

And of course the brass giving the go ahead don't know any better what to look for.

This is ridiculous.

XD
    Or maybe they did it to make the Iranians think they were trying to claim to be able to see more clear than they can.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

'Sensitive' , define........... is that 'Classified' information ?

Banned

Blog Entries
    BTW

There was a small period of time where p[ropaganda, er, I mean news agencies, was trying semi-realistic animations to show news stories. They looked like toy soldiers, so nobody would feel the news agencies were trying deception. But I called them on the gig, and what they were really trying to do, and they stopped.

At the same time, there was official video of a mass shooting.
    It was just a scene of a street in the vicinity of the shooting, and recording of the sounds.
    All the news websites were linking to this youtube video.

So I went to the youtube video, and told them it was a fake, but I would not tell them how I knew, but it was yet another amateur mistake. The poster of the youtube video kept asking me how I knew it was a fake. (did not really deny it, however).
    I told him, I would not help them with their bull$#@!, but I was 100% sure it was fake.

They could not even render a street scene properly.
    It matched Google Earth perfectly. It was certainly supposed to be that street.

I kept telling the person who posted the you tube video, I knew it was a fake, he kept asking how, and I refused to tell him.
    He took the video down a day later.

Now that it has been 6 or 7 years, I'll give them a hint:

It is obviously CG if a janitor has just finished cleaning it up, and there is not a single crack in the wall, there are no rust streaks anywhere, not a single piece of garbage in the street, no sand built up near the gutter. technically, it seemed alright, technically, they should have been able to pull it off, but nope. I am sure all the gutter, light pole, and wall measurements were CAD perfectly measured. But they missed the artistry of 3d modeling.

Maybe by now, they have a real artist, but I doubt it, artists generally don't want to do propaganda, they want to do games or movies. So the intel agencies and military end up using somebody who is trying it out as a hobby, and see if it will fly.

(P.S. a good 3d artist can spot "deep fakes" as well. there are tell tale signs, to get it jsut right is still a few years off, and then, I bet there will be more giveaways)
    Last edited by UWDude; 08-30-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Or maybe they did it to make the Iranians think they were trying to claim to be able to see more clear than they can.
    Yup. They heard about the accident. (I am sure it was real)
    Claimed credit for it, (by denying it) and then bluffed like they can see everything in Iran crystal clear. Bullocks.

Zippy calls this 'sensitive' , as if it fkg matters, lol, (lots of laughs), so what does ZIPPY DO, what zippy is
    all about, he posts it for the world to see.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Yup. They heard about the accident. (I am sure it was real)
    Claimed credit for it, (by denying it) and then bluffed like they can see everything in Iran crystal clear. Bullocks.
    I'm saying they can see that well or better and they used that ability to give the artist the material to work with but instructed him to include mistakes so that it wouldn't be clear how well they could see.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Banned

Blog Entries
    I'm saying they can see that well or better and they used that ability to give the artist the material to work with but instructed him to include mistakes so that it wouldn't be clear how well they could see.
    Then they would just show grainy, real satellite imagery.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Right? This photo may have come to him in a classified briefing, but it is his prerogative to declassify it.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We probably have even greater capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Right? This photo may have come to him in a classified briefing, but it is his prerogative to declassify it.
    Just another of many, non-issue story. All so tiresome which is their entire purpose. Facts do not matter, getting the voters so fatigued on endless stories to produce the opposing result in 2020. The news media has again grossly miscalculated, they will fail.

I see nothing about the photo that matters .
    Do something Danke

Photo doesn't look so sensitive to me. I can get a satellite view of my house just as good if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    It wasn't classified, according to ZIPPITY it was 'sensitive' , meaning 'sht' .

Bump

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

CINC can declassify anything he wants on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    It wasn't classified, according to ZIPPITY it was 'sensitive' , meaning 'sht' .
    Doesn’t matter if it was classified. It coulda been Green Alien Ultra Top Secret Eyes Only Compartmented Washington Farts. POTUS has plenary release authority.