Thread: Surgeon general advises pregnant people, youth against marijuana use

Surgeon general advises pregnant people, youth against marijuana use

Politico.com

The surgeon general Thursday issued an advisory cautioning young people and pregnant people against using marijuana, warning it poses risks to developing brains.

HHS officials said the best science available suggests no amount of marijuana use during pregnancy or for youth is known to be safe. Surgeon General Jerome Adams' advisory was the first his office issued on marijuana since 1982, and it comes as more states legalize the drug for recreational or medical use.

"We need to be clear: Some states' laws on marijuana may have changed, but the science has not and federal law has not," HHS Secretary Alex Azar said.

In 2017, about 9.2 million people ages 12 to 25 reported that they used marijuana in the last month, according to HHS. High school students' perception of marijuana as harmful has been declining over the past decade, the department has found.

Cannabis use in pregnant people more than doubled in the past 15 years, from 3.4 percent to 7 percent, and use is more common during the first trimester, according to data collected from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health.

Federal scientists who conducted the study said cannabis use during pregnancy has been associated with effects on fetal growth, such as low birth weight, and may be more likely for people using marijuana often during pregnancy, particularly in the first and second trimesters. They said in the study that more research is needed, however.

Azar said HHS is "committed" to more research "because one of the dangers is that we still don't know all of the risks." HHS has had conversations with the DOJ and DEA on how to increase the amount of research, he said.

HHS is also launching a public awareness digital campaign with $100,000 President Donald Trump donated from his salary, department officials said.
    I guess they prefer opioiods and other pharmaceutical products which are much safer......
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And what's up with the term "pregnant people" instead of "pregnant women"? Is this the new politically correct term??
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post
    Politico.com

I guess they prefer opioiods and other pharmaceutical products which are much safer......
    Obviously.
    There is no spoon.

And what's up with the term "pregnant people" instead of "pregnant women"? Is this the new politically correct term??
    That was my first thought.
    "The Patriarch"

Yes. Apparently Politico thinks men can get pregnant.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Yes , if Danke gets fat and wants to identify as pregnant he should not be offended.
    Do something Danke

Marijuana (and all drugs) should be legal. Teenagers and pregnant women should not do drugs. Those statements aren't in conflict. I see nothing wrong with the Surgeon General pointing out studies that show the negative health impacts of a drug. I hate Cheech and Chong liberaltarians like Gary Johnson who don't argue from a freedom standpoint but instead try to sell people on how wonderful marijuana is.

People who do drugs are losers and should be stigmatized. But you have every right to be a loser in a free society.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 08-29-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Uhm, I'm quite sure they would advise those same groups not to do opioids or many pharmaceutical products.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Marijuana can be effective at counteracting some of the more common methods of mind control and legalizing it means they don't have to hire as many cops that can search your property because it smells and that pay into pension and union rackets. It's also good for nausea and pain managment, which hurts the drug racket if its legal.

Every legal state already requires this on labels anyway, what was the point of this?

Cliff notes: "we've been arresting people for 75 years for it, and yet still, somehow, we don't know anything really about it, or it's long term effects."

"it's really really potent now compared to before" (no, it's not).

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Marijuana (and all drugs) should be legal. Teenagers and pregnant women should not do drugs. Those statements aren't in conflict. I see nothing wrong with the Surgeon General pointing out studies that show the negative health impacts of a drug. I hate Cheech and Chong liberaltarians like Gary Johnson who don't argue from a freedom standpoint but instead try to sell people on how wonderful marijuana is.

People who do drugs are losers and should be stigmatized. But you have every right to be a loser in a free society.

This is 1 of our 3 legal farms. We started with just the first half of this with 1500 plants 3 years ago, barely broke a million dollars. Now, we have 3 farms with a total plant count of nearly 20,000, revenue in 10's of millions, and we contribute over a million per year in taxes alone to the county and state, and provide jobs for around 50 people.

That's pretty alright for a bunch of losers. Stigmatize away lol. We don't buy the bull$#@! that marijuana is a drug even remotely comparable to alcohol, let alone the other actual chemical drugs.

And this the larger farm, but a week or so ago. Ill be starting a thread on this farm later tonight maybe.
    Last edited by CoastieInColorado; 08-29-2019 at 03:31 PM.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I think Krug would say you are helping his case.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I think Krug would say you are helping his case.
    Uh, ya, sorry, Elon Musk is not a "loser".

He may not have the best political opinions, you may not like what he is trying to do in life, but he started Tesla and Space-x, so he is definitely not a loser nor is he dumb.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

He may not have the best political opinions, you may not like what he is trying to do in life, but he started Tesla and Space-x, so he is definitely not a loser nor is he dumb.
    Yeah but the people who like controlling other peoples lives took his job as chair of Tesla and made him pay a fine so even though he is still CEO and a household name he is a loser because the control freaks made him step down.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

He is a loser and a phony front man for confidence scams.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieInColorado View Post

That's pretty alright for a bunch of losers. Stigmatize away lol. We don't buy the bull$#@! that marijuana is a drug even remotely comparable to alcohol, let alone the other actual chemical drugs.

I don't distinguish between marijuana and crack from a legal standpoint. They may as well be the same thing. You are an entrepreneur providing a service just like a crack dealer. I applaud you. Good for you. Nothing wrong with it imo. Happy for your success.

Elon Musk doesn't smoke marijuana. He said it had been like 15 or 20 years since he last tried it. And when I say someone is a loser, I get there are no shortage of exceptions. But I know quite a few and have interacted with quite a few successful people. Exactly zero do drugs.

I like Elon Musk a lot. I think he is a great visionary. I also like a lot of things about Jeff Skilling at Enron. Wouldn't be surprised Musk ends up in prison like the Enron guys. Seems like there is a better than average chance Solar City was an accounting fraud that he covered up by buying it.

Article from the other day and some supporting articles

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...save-solarcity

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ex...nts-2018-07-31
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...lue/863647002/
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 08-29-2019 at 05:32 PM.

I don't distinguish between marijuana and crack from a legal standpoint. They may as well be the same thing. You are an entrepreneur providing a service just like a crack dealer. I applaud you. Good for you. Nothing wrong with it imo. Happy for your success.

Elon Musk doesn't smoke marijuana. He said it had been like 15 or 20 years since he last tried it. And when I say someone is a loser, I get there are no shortage of exceptions. But I know quite a few and have interacted with quite a few successful people. Exactly zero do drugs.
    There are a lot of people who smoke marijuana who are successful and lead successful lives. There are a lot of people who take microdoses of LSD who are successful. Some people like painting or playing sports, some people like to relax other ways. It's not inherently bad just because some bad people do it and do bad things while they do it.

But I know quite a few and have interacted with quite a few successful people. Exactly zero do drugs.
    How many of them masturbate?

Sorry, but that's total bull$#@!. Successful people usually don't disclose habits that are illegal, embarrassing, etc, etc.. That includes Elon Musk. I highly doubt he hasn't used it in 15 years, then suddenly he does it in the middle of a long-form public interview. Did you think about that? That would be like me taking mushrooms before going in for a job interview.

Also, how many of them drink alcohol? Alcohol is a drug.

How many of them drink caffeine? I can't stand drinking caffeine on a daily basis, it is definitely a drug. And that probably makes you a drug user.

I have to say you are pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-29-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Nevertheless, there are lots of contraindications for usage of herbs when you are pregnant.

Pregnant women should not drink fluoridated/chlorinated water either.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

.....But I know quite a few and have interacted with quite a few successful people. Exactly zero do drugs.
    How do you know that? How would you know that? I find it highly unlikely you spend that much time with people to know. Take me for example, I never "look" high, even after going hard all day and night occasionally. You would never know I used cannabis if I didn't want you to know.

Hell, to this day people think I'm some type of law enforcement because I keep my head shaved, am in shape for my age and wear similar clothing all the time out here as part of my job.

You're the friend they don't tell these things for the reasons you stated yourself, calling people losers and putting them on blast for their private habits via stigmatization could be quite devastating for someone successful in today's political climate in certain locations in the country, and is exactly why you would never know, your friends aren't stupid.

I see it all the time with the woman I'm currently dating, she wouldn't dare tell anyone she smokes everyday, because she could also lose her licensing, and a few of her "friends" and even family would no doubt report her with the full belief they're in the right and helping her by destroying her life while unironically ignoring the fact she's starting her Master's this week, and completed her Bachelor's last year in a year all while smoking weed everyday. She lives in the panhandle of Texas, where they still think weed is the devil's cabbage.
    Last edited by CoastieInColorado; 08-29-2019 at 07:45 PM.

I don't use illicit drugs. As you can see I am a model citizen.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Cannabis is not a "Drug"..

Cannabis is Non-Toxic

Cannabis has many known health benefits..

Causes no harm , and is beneficial to humans.

A Gift from God.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I don't use illicit drugs. As you can see I am a model citizen.
    We know about United.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

L00k @ those fan leaves!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

You have a very undefined definition of "drug." Herbs and natural products that could be considered drugs would include sugar and caffeine also. Made-made chemical based products that are patented and licensed (e.g. pharmaceutical drugs) are in a totally different class.

Banned

Blog Entries
    So you are saying they never invite you to their parties?

XD

Rich, successful people occassionaly use marijuana. Cocaine, on the other hand.
    And good for you for having "interacted" with quite a few successful people. Does that mean you are a successful person?

Ahh.. I see, you smoke too much marijuana?

No? Then what is your excuse for not being the person some loser on the internet brags about "interacting with" to win an argument?

You are a loser, and don't have marijuana to blame!

Anyways, I agree with you, there is nothing wrong with a surgeon general giving a warning about the adverse health effects of any drug. Especially the youth and pregnant women.

I opened this thread to comment on "pregnant people"....

I know I'm not the only one who calls people on this BS in person too...