Thread: Brexit: Boris Johnson says odds of striking deal 'touch and go'

Brexit: Boris Johnson says odds of striking deal 'touch and go'

I don't see any deal happening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/49465298

Boris Johnson has said the chances of a Brexit deal are "touch and go" - having previously said the odds of a no-deal Brexit were "a million to one".

In a BBC interview at the G7 summit in France, he said it "all depends on our EU friends and partners".

When pressed on the chances, he said: "I think it's going to be touch and go. But the important thing is to get ready to come out without a deal."

Donald Tusk told the PM the EU is open to alternatives to the backstop.

BBC Europe editor Katya Adler said the European Council president and Mr Johnson held talks on Sunday, which were in a "genuinely positive atmosphere".

But she said Mr Tusk repeated the EU's position that any alternatives to the Irish backstop would have to be "realistic" and "immediately operational".

The two men clashed on Saturday over who would be "Mr No Deal" - the person to blame in the case of a no-deal Brexit.

but that the chances of a no-deal Brexit happening are a "million to one".

Asked if people would still be able to get their medicine if there was a no-deal Brexit, the prime minister told the BBC: "That is certainly a guarantee that we can make."

But he added: "I do not want at this stage to say there won't be unforeseen difficulties."

Speaking at the G7 summit on Sunday, he reiterated his desire to scrap the backstop from the current withdrawal agreement, saying it could keep the UK "locked in" EU rules, if a trade deal is not agreed after Brexit.

He said: "I think in the last few days there has been a dawning realisation in Brussels and other European capitals what the shape of the problem is for the UK."

Mr Johnson said he was an "optimist" and thought the EU would understand there is an "opportunity to do a deal".

The PM also said if there is no deal, the UK would keep a "very substantial" part of the £39bn Theresa May had agreed to pay the EU in her withdrawal agreement.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment