Thread: Boris Johnson warns Trump US must compromise to get UK trade deal

Boris Johnson warns Trump US must compromise to get UK trade deal

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49462613

Trump compromise? Who is he kidding? Trump was never good at sharing. He would rather have no loaf than half a loaf of anything. He could never admit any sort of weakness. Everything is "zero sum". If you make any concessions, you lose. Even if you do get something in return.

The US must lift restrictions on UK businesses if it wants a trade deal with the UK, Boris Johnson has said.

Travelling to the G7 summit in Biarritz, France, the PM said there were "very considerable barriers in the US to British businesses".

Mr Johnson said he had already spoken to President Donald Trump about his concerns, adding he would do so again when they meet on Sunday morning.

The prime minister will also hold talks with EU Council President Donald Tusk.

"There are massive opportunities for UK companies to open up, to prise open the American market," Mr Johnson said.

"We intend to seize those opportunities but they are going to require our American friends to compromise and to open up their approach, because currently there are too many restrictions."

Offering an example of a restriction, Mr Johnson said: "Melton Mowbray pork pies, which are sold in Thailand and in Iceland, are currently unable to enter the US market because of, I don't know, some sort of food and drug administration restriction."

He continued: "UK bell peppers cannot get into the US market at all.

"Wine shipments are heavily restricted. If you want to export wine made in England to the US you have to go through a US distributor.

"There is a tax on British micro-breweries in the US that doesn't apply to US micro-breweries in the UK."

Last month, President Trump said talks about a "very substantial" trade deal with the UK were already under way.

He said a bilateral post-Brexit deal could lead to a "three to four, five times" increase in current trade - but provided no details about how that would be achieved.

However, the Speaker of the US House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, said a UK-US trade deal would not get through Congress if Brexit undermined the Good Friday Agreement.

Ms Pelosi said the UK's exit from the EU could not be allowed to endanger the 1998 Irish peace deal, which the US helped facilitate.

Mr Johnson also discussed the possibility of a tax on internet giants, following the French government's decision to approve a digital services tax despite threats of retaliation by the US.

"Frankly, we must do something to tax fairly and properly the online businesses that have such colossal sales in our country," he told reporters. "We must do something to ensure we tax them properly.

"I am open to discussion about how we do that and I am willing to listen to our American friends about the modalities but we must do something to tax them fairly."
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-25-2019 at 03:32 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

That.s a bit contentious because Main street is struggling with high taxes while the likes of Amazon pay 0%. Politicians are desperate to 'do something'

The US president talks up the prospects of a US-UK trade deal after meeting Boris Johnson at the G7 summit in Biarritz, praising the PM as 'the right man' to deliver Brexit and suggesting a trade agreement between the two countries could be struck quickly
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ade-deal-video

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

They get on fine. I think the good relationship will benefit both parties. We will have to see if their can be any compromises on both sides to achieve a trade deal.

Did the UK ever formally apologize for their role in the Revolutionary war?

An apology and reparations should be in order, before any trade deal with the UK is considered.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Did the UK ever formally apologize for their role in the Revolutionary war?

An apology and reparations should be in order, before any trade deal with the UK is considered.
    Don't forget 1812.

Or the war loans we gave them that they never repaid.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment