Thread: Trump wants to cut Medicare and Social Security

Trump wants to cut Medicare and Social Security

Republicans on Capitol Hill say Donald Trump may be willing to cut Social Security and Medicare if he wins in 2020, reportedly describing the potential move as a “second-term project”.
    Several senators told the New York Times in a report published this week they spoke to the president about reducing the costs of the federal health care and retirement programs — a move that would likely stir controversy in a presidential election season.
    Republicans have said cutting both programs is crucial to reducing the nation’s deficit, which has ballooned under Mr Trump thanks, in part, to the GOP tax bill passed in 2017.
    Senator John Barrasso, a Republican from Wyoming, described the process of cutting the costs of social security and medicare to the New York Times as “best done during divided government”.
    “We’ve brought it up with President Trump,” he added, “who has talked about out it being a second-term project.”
    Senator John Thune, a Republican from South Dakota, also told the newspaper that reducing the costs of the federal programs would require “presidential leadership” and “courage by the Congress to make some hard votes”.
    “We can’t keep kicking the can down the road,” he said, adding: “I hope in a second term, [Mr Trump] is interested. With his leadership, I think we could start dealing with that crisis. And it is a crisis.”

Senator David Perdue, a Republican from Georgia, told the paper “it probably takes a second-term president” to begin working on the issue, adding: “It’s politically difficult to say you’re going to save Social Security, because most people think, well that means cutting benefits.”

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-tells-r...162457862.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Medicare & Social Security are unconstitional.
    Trump should block grant Medicare & Social Security back to the states!

Republicans on Capitol Hill say Donald Trump may be willing to cut Social Security and Medicare if he wins in 2020, reportedly describing the potential move as a “second-term project”.
    "The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday – but never jam today."
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    "The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam yesterday – but never jam today."
    Speaking of which, at the bottom of the OP article, there is the following link: Read more Dying ALS patient delivers passionate Medicade-for-All speech

The link is to an article published a few months ago titled "Ady Barkan: Dying ALS patient delivers passionate speech on first day of Medicare-for-All hearings" (with the tagline "Ady Barkan delivered his speech to Congess using a text-to-voice programme").

So that is what is being spread on our toast today - while Trump & Co. futz around with speculative happy-talk about "potential moves" and "second-term projects" ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-24-2019 at 08:07 AM.

“We can’t keep kicking the can down the road,” he said, adding: “I hope in a second term, [...]
    SMGDH ... do these bozos even pay any attention at all to the words that come out of their mouths ... ?
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-24-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Republicans on Capitol Hill say
    Don't you require confirmation of things like this?

Also, lol, the "only if you re-elect me" promises are beginning awfully early, don't you think?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

How much of medicare is fraud , 20 percent ? There should be a plan of action to cut that now .
    Do something Danke

Like thats ever going to happen.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mods, could the thread title be changed to something more accurate, like, "According to a baseless anonymous rumor Trump might be willing to cut Social Security and Medicare if he wins in 2020"?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Mods, could the thread title be changed to something more accurate, like, "According to a baseless anonymous rumor Trump might be willing to cut Social Security and Medicare if he wins in 2020"?
    It's strange that Swordsmyth changed the title from the title of the article, don't you think? The article's title is much more accurate and objective, whereas Swordsmyth's title is at best a complete fabrication and at worst an outright lie.

Trump tells Republicans he may begin cutting social security and Medicare if he wins in 2020
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    It's strange that Swordsmyth changed the title from the title of the article, don't you think? The article's title is much more accurate and objective, whereas Swordsmyth's title is at best a complete fabrication and at worst an outright lie.

Well, that is after all his raison d'etre, is it not?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Also, lol, the "only if you re-elect me" promises are beginning awfully early, don't you think?
    Besides, Congress will have to decide how much money they get- not Trump. Trump also once said he favored national health insurance "I know this will get me in trouble with Republicans but...".

In this case I have two Senators confirming what Trump said to them as opposed to "anonymous sources".
    Trump may not go through with this but he is telling people he wants to do it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Besides, Congress will have to decide how much money they get- not Trump. Trump also once said he favored national health insurance "I know this will get me in trouble with Republicans but...".
    If I remember correctly, didn't Romney promise that too?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

In this case I have two Senators confirming what Trump said to them as opposed to "anonymous sources".
    Trump may not go through with this but he is telling people he wants to do it.
    Do you generally accept anything that a senator says as fact?
    Pinochet is the model

Do you generally accept anything that a senator says as fact?
    More than "anonymous sources".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    It's yet another "Trump considering" thread with different words.

Look at all that tribalism.

*shakes head*