Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rand’s Future? 2022 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I find it amusing how condescending you are to everyone who questions your views.
    Only those who don't know what they are talking about but yet think they know what they are talking about.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Given that what ought to have been his base deserted him and hopped on the Trump train, I don't see him running again; and given that Rand seems committed to not reversing that trend (which would require breaking with Trump), I don't much care whether he does or not. The "libertarian moment" is well and truly over, I'm sorry to say.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Given that what ought to have been his base deserted him and hopped on the Trump train, I don't see him running again; and given that Rand seems committed to not reversing that trend (which would require breaking with Trump), I don't much care whether he does or not. The "libertarian moment" is well and truly over, I'm sorry to say.
    Nobody deserted Rand and he is doing the right thing to court Trump supporters and try to guide them to improved positions.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Nobody deserted Rand and he is doing the right thing to court Trump supporters and try to guide them to improved positions.
    Nobody abandoned Rand Paul in 2016?

You get into dannno's stash?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Given that what ought to have been his base deserted him and hopped on the Trump train, I don't see him running again; and given that Rand seems committed to not reversing that trend (which would require breaking with Trump)
    I disagree.

Rand didn't cultivate his base, and in the 2016 campaign he actively did things to run his base off. I saw this first hand.

And no, Rand doesn't have to "break with Trump" his relation with Trump is a good thing, as long as he is willing to tell him no and vote against him (which seems unlikely at this point).

Thomas is the best example to follow here, he supports Trump, but opposes him when he needs opposing, but is still able to keep his ideological street cred. It would have been nice if Justin followed his lead on this instead of falling on his sword.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Nobody abandoned Rand Paul in 2016?

You get into dannno's stash?
    Wait just a minute dannno has a stash? Damn it man I should've been nicer to him all these years. dannno my boy do you need a cookie or sumpin?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I disagree.

Rand didn't cultivate his base, and in the 2016 campaign he actively did things to run his base off. I saw this first hand.

And no, Rand doesn't have to "break with Trump" his relation with Trump is a good thing, as long as he is willing to tell him no and vote against him (which seems unlikely at this point).

Thomas is the best example to follow here, he supports Trump, but opposes him when he needs opposing, but is still able to keep his ideological street cred. It would have been nice if Justin followed his lead on this instead of falling on his sword.
    What is the ultimate goal of this remora fish strategy?

What base? the libertarian base was always small. The conservatives and GOP are not loyal but helpful when supportive.

The peak libertarian moment was Iowa 2012 when Ron nearly won had the caucuses (too bad they weren't held maybe a week earlier).

Libertarians who support LP stayed with the party and backed Johnson, he even got record numbers in that election.

So I ask, who exactly deserted Rand?

I hope nobody here is stupid enough to think that when Rand was receiving 20%+ in primary polls that those were all GOP libertarians
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    All the people who supported Ron in 2012 and not Rand in 2016. Some of those people even totally abandoned the principles Ron championed and supported Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    What base? the libertarian base was always small. The conservatives and GOP are not loyal but helpful when supportive.

The peak libertarian moment was Iowa 2012 when Ron nearly won had the caucuses (too bad they weren't held maybe a week earlier).

Libertarians who support LP stayed with the party and backed Johnson, he even got record numbers in that election.

The people you mention who voted for Ron and didn't vote for Rand.

I hope nobody here is stupid enough to think that when Rand was receiving 20%+ in primary polls that those were all GOP libertarians
    Libertarians were only ever a small fraction of Ron's base, as evidenced by their deserting Rand and moving to Trump.

This wasn't clear back in 2015-16; now it is, which is why I don't expect Rand to run again.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12