Thread: Study Names American Police as 6th Leading Cause of Death for Young Men

Study Names American Police as 6th Leading Cause of Death for Young Men

A rather shocking study published this month by the Proceedings of the National Academy of the Sciences, names police officers as the sixth leading cause of death among young men. Police killings were only preceded in frequency by accidental death, a category that includes drug overdoses and car accidents, at 76.6 deaths per 100,000, followed by suicide (26.7), other homicides (22.0), heart disease (7.0), and cancer (6.3). These killings by police include shooting, choking, beating, and various other ways police have taken the lives of Americans.

“Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men in the United States,” the study explains. “Over the life course, about 1 in every 1,000 black men can expect to be killed by police. Risk of being killed by police peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for men and women and for all racial and ethnic groups. Black women and men and American Indian and Alaska Native women and men are significantly more likely than white women and men to be killed by police. Latino men are also more likely to be killed by police than are white men.”

Even more damning than finding out that police are a leading cause of death for young men is the fact that the lead researcher of the study, and an assistant professor at the School of Criminal Justice at Rutgers University, Frank Edwards says the numbers “may be an undercount.”

“Police departments have very little incentive to record the number of deaths, nor are they mandated to do so,” Edwards said.

Since 2015, independent outlets have stepped up and conducted counts of their own because the police will not do it. What these counts show is that since 2015, police in America have claimed the lives of 4,514 citizens.

continues..https://thefreethoughtproject.com/st...g-cause-death/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

A rather shocking study published this month by the Proceedings of the National Academy of the Sciences, names police officers as the sixth leading cause of death among young men. Police killings were only preceded in frequency by accidental death, a category that includes drug overdoses and car accidents, at 76.6 deaths per 100,000, followed by suicide (26.7), other homicides (22.0), heart disease (7.0), and cancer (6.3). These killings by police include shooting, choking, beating, and various other ways police have taken the lives of Americans.

“Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men in the United States,” the study explains. “Over the life course, about 1 in every 1,000 black men can expect to be killed by police. Risk of being killed by police peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for men and women and for all racial and ethnic groups. Black women and men and American Indian and Alaska Native women and men are significantly more likely than white women and men to be killed by police. Latino men are also more likely to be killed by police than are white men.”

Even more damning than finding out that police are a leading cause of death for young men is the fact that the lead researcher of the study, and an assistant professor at the School of Criminal Justice at Rutgers University, Frank Edwards says the numbers “may be an undercount.”

“Police departments have very little incentive to record the number of deaths, nor are they mandated to do so,” Edwards said.

Since 2015, independent outlets have stepped up and conducted counts of their own because the police will not do it. What these counts show is that since 2015, police in America have claimed the lives of 4,514 citizens.

Ya, sure it has nothing to do with violent crimes...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Kelly Thomas would agree. So would Eric Garner and Aiyana Jones.

And some others, I think ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Cops kill more young men than gangs? I thought I always heard black on black crime was so bad. I always heard about gang shootings. They don't make the top 6? One thing for sure is I bet cops shoot more dogs than any other group.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Kelly Thomas would agree. So would Eric Garner and Aiyana Jones.

And some others, I think ...
    Oscar grant
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Oscar grant
    Jose Guerena

Jose Guerena
    Christopher Roupe

Christopher Roupe
    Dennis Tuttle

Rhogena Nicholas-Tuttle

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

Stats like this are useful against liberal state legislators trying to push red flag laws.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Actually violent crime is down and has been going steady down for decades while unjustified killings by police have been going up. And they haven't just been killing black kids. Your kid/grandkid could be next.

Black youth being killed by cops are just the canary in the coal mine. You've been condition to accept it based on the "they are just thugs" mentality.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

well...thers always next year! maybe they can get on the podium!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Cops kill more young men than gangs? I thought I always heard black on black crime was so bad. I always heard about gang shootings. They don't make the top 6? One thing for sure is I bet cops shoot more dogs than any other group.
    That was number 3, misc homicides.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Been here since 2007, huh?

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    Been here since 2007, huh?
    No, I have been here since the early ‘60s.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.