Thread: Mystery Airstrike Rocks Baghdad Base With US Forces Present

Mystery Airstrike Rocks Baghdad Base With US Forces Present

Another Shiite militia base near Baghdad has been attacked by airstrikes from an unknown source on Tuesday, one week after a huge blast ripped through a separate pro-Iran militia weapons storehouse near the Iraqi capital's 'Green Zone'.
    Arabic media published images of a massive cloud of smoke coming from the Balad Air Base (also known as al-Bakr base) north of Baghdad, with Iraqi officials confirming the airstrikes. The attack is already being blamed on Israel, and comes following Iraq late last week shutting down its airspace to all 'unauthorized' flights not specifically approved at the top levels of the Iraqi government and military.

Crucially, Balad base - the location of the alleged new airstrikes - hosts US forces and contractors, according to Reuters. There are reports of an unknown number of fatalities at the installation which also hosts US-supplied Iraqi F-16 fighter jets.
    #فيديو | حريق في قاعدة جوية بمحافظة صلاح الدين العراقية #العراق pic.twitter.com/r6EVOfPSTV
    — العين الإخبارية (@alain_4u) August 20, 2019
    Reuters describes the vicinity of the explosions as follows:
    Several blasts hit a position held by Iraqi Shi’ite paramilitaries next to Balad air base north of Baghdad on Tuesday, an Iraqi military official and a source in a paramilitary group said.
    Balad base hosts U.S. forces and contractors and is located about 80 km (50 miles) north of Baghdad. An Iraqi Shi’ite militia group, which is backed by Iran, is stationed nearby.
    Israel has neither confirmed nor denied having any role in either attacks. The Associated Press is describing the explosion as “the latest in a series of mysterious blasts that have rocked military bases and weapons depots around the country recently.”
    However, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday actually hinted that the Israeli Air Force was behind the recent spate of mystery attacks on pro-Iran militia bases in Iraq, saying that Israel will "continue to act militarily" to curtail Iranian expansion in the region, according to The Times of Israel.
    BREAKING - possible #Israel airstrikes hit an #Iran-backed #PMF weapons depot in #Iraq's Salah ad Din.

The explosions today come just days after #Baghdad demanded *all* aircraft (civil, military & recon) acquire prior MOD approval.

(Images via @BaxtiyarGoran) pic.twitter.com/AvKExUAMOm
    — Charles Lister (@Charles_Lister) August 20, 2019
    “Iran has no immunity, anywhere,” he told reporters while on a state visit to Kiev. He was responding to a specific question about the mystery attacks on Iraq. “We will act — and currently are acting — against them, wherever it is necessary,” he declared.
    Both Israeli and Arabic media took it as a tacit admission that Israel is now conducing air raids over Iraqi soil which if confirmed would mark a huge escalation following repeat airstrikes on Syria of the past couple years.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...tive-over-iraq
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dam it!... and when Trump is talking about pulling out of Afghanistan. guess that's a mute point now.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Dam it!... and when Trump is talking about pulling out of Afghanistan. guess that's a mute point now.
    I don't see your point.

Israel did this.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I don't see your point.

Israel did this.
    Sorry, I was thinking TPTB will use it as another excuse to stay put in the Middle East.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Sorry, I was thinking TPTB will use it as another excuse to stay put in the Middle East.
    If they blamed someone other than Israel I would agree but I don't see how they can use an attack by Israel for that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If they blamed someone other than Israel I would agree but I don't see how they can use an attack by Israel for that.
    I'm sure they will find a way. First thing that popped in my brain is..."Israel needs our help and backing, therefore (___________)".

#gotUSSliberty?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

*moot*
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sure they will find a way. First thing that popped in my brain is..."Israel needs our help and backing, therefore (___________)".
    Yep- gotta help Israel so it can bomb everyone to kingdom-come, 'cause them evil Iranians, dontcha know?
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    *moot*

+rep for spell check.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    *moot*
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."