Thread: A mother, but not a woman

Exclamation A mother, but not a woman

A mother, but not a woman

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...?noredirect=on

Braiden Schirtzinger is non-binary, pregnant and about to take on the most gendered role of all

By Samantha Schmidt

AUGUST 16, 2019

The first thing Braiden Schirtzinger felt was the pop — like a bursting balloon.

A doctor had said today could be the day, and a Google search said exercise could help speed up the process. So here Braiden was, under a warm late-April sun shaded by oak and willow trees, taking a third lap around a suburban Virginia neighborhood, determined to walk out a baby.

Braiden stopped on the sidewalk, feeling the liquid trickling through baggy gray basketball shorts.

“Mom, get in the car,” Braiden said over the phone. “My water just broke.”

For nine exhausting months, Braiden had lived in a body that felt more feminine, with its swelling belly and breasts, than Braiden had ever felt inside. And yet this transformation was the means to what the 26-year-old had always wanted to become: a mom.

Braiden was born biologically female but has always identified as more masculine than feminine. For months before the pregnancy, Braiden had taken testosterone shots, leading to a deeper voice, a sharper jaw, more muscular arms. But Braiden is no longer a transgender man.

At an LGBTQ support group almost two years ago, Braiden heard someone use a word that resonated: “non-binary.” It felt like the best way to describe who Braiden was — not a he or a she, but a “they,” part of what appears to be a growing group of Americans who identify as genders other than male or female.

No reliable data is available on their numbers, but non-binary people like Braiden are more visible than ever — and parts of the country are rapidly adopting rules to recognize them. State and city governments, including in D.C., California and New York, have begun offering a gender option of “X” on identification cards. Airlines, school districts and colleges nationwide are allowing alternative gender markers.

A lexicon of pronouns, such as “they” and “them,” has also emerged to express the idea that gender is fluid, moving along a continuum from male to female. The Washington Post has formally recognized the new pronouns since 2015.

To people like Braiden, the terms provide a liberating alternative. But to many Americans, the pronouns are ungrammatical and confusing. They find moral certitude in a binary world, made up of men and women playing roles that conform to the genders on their birth certificates. And right now, on the sidewalk, baritone voice cracking with excitement and body beginning to shake, Braiden was about to take on one of the most gendered roles of all: motherhood.

Braiden, wearing a Hogwarts T-shirt and Adidas sandals with socks, turned around and started wobbling in the direction of home, dialing at the same time. A neighbor walked by with her golden retriever, and Braiden stopped to pet it, as if it were just a casual afternoon stroll.

“What am I doing on my phone? I was just about to … oh, call the doctor,” Braiden said, tapping the numbers for the obstetrician’s office.

“Hi, it’s Brittany Schirtzinger,” Braiden said, using the legal name, the dead name, the despised name. “Can you, um, let Dr. Gonzalez know I’m on my way to Fairfax? My water just broke.”

Breathing deeply, Braiden hobbled into the house and upstairs to change into a fresh pair of boxers. Braiden’s dad, Steve Schirtzinger, walked into the house just in time to make the drive to the hospital.

Clutching a water bottle and a stick of Old Spice deodorant, Braiden rushed awkwardly back down the stairs and into the passenger seat of a Nissan Sentra, a diaper bag already on the back seat.

And on and on and on...
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

WTF did I just read?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    WTF did I just read?
    You read the story of deeply disturbed and broken woman who thinks they are a man, took a cocktail of drugs to try and turn themselves into a man, but retained all the plumbing of a woman and found an equally disturbed and broken man to knock her up.

God only knows what that toxic stew of man made hormones has done to that baby.

And you read of the wicked and evil people that enabled and encouraged her sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You read the story of deeply disturbed and broken woman who thinks they are a man, took a cocktail of drugs to try and turn themselves into a man, but retained all the plumbing of a woman and found an equally disturbed and broken man to knock her up.

And you read of the wicked and evil people that enabled and encouraged her sickness.
    When a calf is born with two heads you put it down.

What a bunch of crap. Forget all of the new bullish!t terminology and categorizations. A masculine, bisexual woman had a baby. No doubt this has occurred since the beginning of time. There is nothing new about it other than ridiculous political correctness.

Yes, some straight women are masculine. Some bisexual woman are masculine. Many lesbians are masculine. It happens. It’s nothing new. What is new is an attempt to force them into new categories, and make them feel bad if they don’t fit properly. Based on the story, she would not fit in the category of transman. There were several aspects of her that were still feminine, not the least of which was the desire to be a mom. No doubt she felt pressure to be something more new and cutting edge.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    A baby born out of a man's womb.... is that how Chuck Norris was created?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    What a bunch of crap. Forget all of the new bullish!t terminology and categorizations. A masculine, bisexual woman had a baby. No doubt this has occurred since the beginning of time. There is nothing new about it other than ridiculous political correctness.

Yes, some straight women are masculine. Some bisexual woman are masculine. Many lesbians are masculine. It happens. It’s nothing new. What is new is an attempt to force them into new categories, and make them feel bad if they don’t fit properly. Based on the story, she would not fit in the category of transman. There were several aspects of her that were still feminine, not the least of which was the desire to be a mom. No doubt she felt pressure to be something more new and cutting edge.
    They*
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    This is the future.
    That it is.

No future I want any part of.

The difference in this situation is pharmacology.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    The difference in this situation is pharmacology.
    Drug pushers gonna push drugs.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

That is an incredibly $#@!ed up story.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Well said.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.