Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump: Cut Rates 100 Basis Points, Restart QE

Trump: Cut Rates 100 Basis Points, Restart QE

His latest tweet on the subject:

The Fed Rate, over a fairly short period of time, should be reduced by at least 100 basis points, with perhaps some quantitative easing as well. If that happened, our Economy would be even better, and the World Economy would be greatly and quickly enhanced-good for everyone!
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...72273388576768

Here's another one:

Our problem is a Federal Reserve that is too proud to admit their mistake of acting too fast and tightening too much (and that I was right!). They must Cut Rates bigger and faster, and stop their ridiculous quantitative tightening NOW. Yield curve is at too wide a margin, and no inflation!
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...83361803149312

And another...

With substantial Fed Cuts (there is no inflation) and no quantitative tightening, the dollar will make it possible for our companies to win against any competition. We have the greatest companies...
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...73911748317189

And another......

China is adding great stimulus to its economy while at the same time keeping interest rates low. Our Federal Reserve has incessantly lifted interest rates, even though inflation is very low, and instituted a very big dose of quantitative tightening. We have the potential to go up like a rocket if we did some lowering of rates, like one point, and some quantitative easing.
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...85120864092162

So, the question is, does Trump understand that the economy is a giant debt-and-inflation fueled bubble, and he just wants to keep it going so that he can keep bragging about it? Or does Trump actually believe that endless money printing is the path to prosperity? Dishonest or stupid? I leave resolution of this mystery to our resident Trump enthusiasts.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 08-19-2019 at 01:09 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pretty sure they all believe in endless money, don’t think Trump is particularly remarkable in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    Pretty sure they all believe in endless money, don’t think Trump is particularly remarkable in this regard.
    Exactly

When Obama was president he complained that rates were too low. That Yellen was keeping them low to make Obama look good and so he could go out and play golf. The economy was a "fake economy". Now he wants low rates to make the president look good and he can go out and play more golf. More flip flopping. Trump sees the stock market somehow reflecting his own success as President.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Everybody here said QE would make the dollar worthless, and silver and gold to skyrocket.
    It sounded right in theory.
    That was 10 years ago.

I bought lots of silver.
    But stopped believing after 4 years of QE and no real movement.
    I then sold my silver.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Everybody here said QE would make the dollar worthless, and silver and gold to skyrocket.
    That was 10 years ago.

I bought lots of silver.
    I then sold my silver.
    These economic policies, if not reversed, will eventually result in the destruction of the capital stock and quite literally the end of civilization.

How the market might move in the interim is anyone's guess (what will the Fed buy?), but also rather beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    When Obama was president he complained that rates were too low. That Yellen was keeping them low to make Obama look good and so he could go out and play golf. The economy was a "fake economy". Now he wants low rates to make the president look good and he can go out and play more golf. More flip flopping. Trump sees the stock market somehow reflecting his own success as President.

Hmmm... Its as though this trump character is some sort of flip-flopper...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    That was 10 years ago.

I bought lots of silver.
    I then sold my silver.
    Metals tend to move opposite of the economy. Economy declining- metals rising.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The more he pushes the less likely the Fed is to cooperate.

He knows that.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

No Trumpsplanation?

O, wait, I spoke too soon:

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

He knows that.

How many people here are surprised to see trump continuing even more of obomba's policies?
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

He knows that.
    Trust the plan.
    "The Patriarch"

At this rate, we'll be buying empty boxes at the grocery store for $3.99 and Trump will still be claiming "no inflation".

Donald is scripted to pick a fight with the Fed and it's going swimmingly. It'll continue to intensify.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-money-is-done
    Last edited by devil21; 08-20-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    No Trumpsplanation?
    HAHA, so funny. "Trumpsplaining"

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

He knows that.
    Isn't that what you said before they lowered rates? That he was preventing them from lowering the rates by asking them to lower the rates?

Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Don’t look now, but monetary policy is tightening dramatically

"While most of the economics profession seems to assume that a Fed cut in interest rates means money is getting easier, policy has dramatically tightened in recent weeks.
    Perhaps the most startling data point is the expected level of interest rates in the fed funds futures market, which has plunged to barely over 1% in 2021. Consider that figure to be a prediction that NGDP growth in 2021 will be weak enough to justify such a low policy rate. Sorry, no more “one and done”."

Sometimes Trump gets it right (at least the policy part, though for the wrong reasons)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Isn't that what you said before they lowered rates? That he was preventing them from lowering the rates by asking them to lower the rates?

They only lowered them a little and said they weren't going to lower them any more.
    They might have lowered them a lot.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This must be how trump is going to end the federal reserve.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

he's crying because the stock market is staying still.

and everyone knows it.

but it's going to get a lot worse because he has made too many enemies.

Even Wall Street will abandon him.

They only lowered them a little and said they weren't going to lower them any more.
    They might have lowered them a lot.
    You can justify literally anything with this logic.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Now Trump's admiring Germany's negative yield bonds:

So Germany is paying Zero interest and is actually being paid to borrow money, while the U.S., a far stronger and more important credit, is paying interest and just stopped (I hope!) Quantitative Tightening. Strongest Dollar in History, very tough on exports. No Inflation!.........WHERE IS THE FEDERAL RESERVE?
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...74364213952512

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    You can justify literally anything with this logic.

And he does.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

When Trump was running for office, he was critical of low interest rates by Janet Yellen and the Fed- complaining that the Fed was doing it to make the president look good. Now he wants low interest rates to make the president look good. He is disappointed that his own Fed appointees are not doing what he wants.

https://mises.org/power-market/it-tu...ulus-after-all

So far, I’m not even a little bit happy with my selection of [Fed Chairman] Jay [Powell]. Not even a little bit. And I’m not blaming anybody, but I’m just telling you I think that the Fed is way off-base with what they’re doing.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    This must be how trump is going to end the federal reserve.
    Yes.

He is setting them up for the blame if the economy falls apart.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes.

He is setting them up for the blame if the economy falls apart.
    The public is smarter than that. But Trump does need to blame somebody. Nothing is ever his fault.

The public is smarter than that. But Trump does need to blame somebody. Nothing is ever his fault.
    The public is stupid but that doesn't matter because the Fed IS responsible.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The public is stupid but that doesn't matter because the Fed IS responsible.
    Trump is already saying the trade war (the real cause of global economic slowing) isn't his. But he is the "chosen one" to fight it.

Trump is already saying the trade war (the real cause of global economic slowing) isn't his. But he is the "chosen one" to fight it.
    He's right, China started it and Americans chose him to fight back.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Some analysts now say Trump doesn't want a trade deal with China- that he deliberately is setting requirements for one he knows they cannot possibly agree to. Why? He wants to completely decouple the US from China. He doesn't want any trade at all with them. He won't say so until at least after the election- should it cost him votes. Then he won't be worried about any re-election. Shouldn't it be up to businesses and not the government deciding that?

Some analysts now say Trump doesn't want a trade deal with China- that he deliberately is setting requirements for one he knows they cannot possibly agree to. Why? He wants to completely decouple the US from China. He doesn't want any trade at all with them. He won't say so until at least after the election- should it cost him votes. Then he won't be worried about any re-election. Shouldn't it be up to businesses and not the government deciding that?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	URhere.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	6990
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast