Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motorcycling for youth?

motorcycling for youth?

OK, I got a nephew that has expressed interest in motorcycling, I'd like to buy him a dirt bike and bring him to a course. I never had any formal training at his age ( 9). But did a lot of that myself where ever I could. Times have changed. I realize that isn't an option today in a large metropolitan area. Any suggestions how to go about this? Cheaper bike (initially) and clubs, etc?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Watch out or he will grow up to be like @Anti Federalist.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I have no clue. I think it is really cool that you are willing devote the time and resources to get him started.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I have no clue. I think it is really cool that you are willing devote the time and resources to get him started.
    I love that kid. He is very talented in the motor skills department. Good at sports etc.

The hurdle is his mom. He is their only son. She is very protective.

But, I think he would thrive in motor sports.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

It really just depends on your area, some areas are better than others for this. I like the idea of working your way up on this kind of stuff. Bike > Mountain bike > 50cc > 90cc > 125cc >250cc. Usually the 50cc bikes are more quiet than a leaf blower so it doesn't bother your neighbors unless your neigbhors are dicks or you have cops that drive by often. Its sort of like crawling before you walk or run. Dirt bikes aren't really all that fun by yourself though so its better if you have someone to go with regularly who has similar riding skill so unless he can find a club or has friends that go out regularly it could be a big waste of money. It could be something his friends will get into if he does it. I would see if there is a place that does riding lessons if possible, its one of those things that becomes more fun when you have more riding skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    OK, I got a nephew that has expressed interest in motorcycling, I'd like to buy him a dirt bike and bring him to a course. I never had any formal training at his age ( 9). But did a lot of that myself where ever I could. Times have changed. I realize that isn't an option today in a large metropolitan area. Any suggestions how to go about this? Cheaper bike (initially) and clubs, etc?
    Look into local motocross. The grandkids race at a indoor arena here in town but I don't know what's available where you live. Might have to travel some.
    "The Patriarch"

List of Motocross tracks in MN

https://mxtrackguide.com/motocross-tracks-minnesota

Start him on a Honda CRF 100

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 08-17-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    List of Motocross tracks in MN

https://mxtrackguide.com/motocross-tracks-minnesota

Start him on a Honda CRF 100

Thanks for the links. I did a search but nothing good was coming up.. amazon had a really cheap bike that had good ratings . might buy him that as a starter to see his interest.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for the links. I did a search but nothing good was coming up.. amazon had a really cheap bike that had good ratings . might buy him that as a starter to see his interest.
    http://www.xtraactionsports.com/moto...oss-tracks.htm

http://www.outdoortrackandtrail.com/.../MN/mnpage.htm
    Last edited by Origanalist; 08-17-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    "The Patriarch"

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the gray market bikes made of Chinesium.

You'll be better off with a used Honda than a new Chinese BrakDounOffen.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Thanks, nothing very close by it seems. I will call some of those places to see if they know of anything close to the cities.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the gray market bikes made of Chinesium.

You'll be better off with a used Honda than a new Chinese BrakDounOffen.
    Ya, but I can buy a throw-away bike for a fraction of the cost of a Honda. If it does "BrakDounOffen". it will be a great learning opportunity to teach him how to repair mechanical stuff.

If he gets interested, then I will buy a nicer one.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Delete/Duplicate
    Last edited by Stratovarious; 08-18-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    For a starter bike , the Chinese pit bikes are fantastic values, Amazon
    or wherever, you can verify smaller dealerships by searching youtube
    reviews , and yea you buy a used Honda or other name brand, or new of course,
    budget can always be a factor.

For a 9 year old, nothing small and low powered is wrong, and the track might be right
    for some, but for the first few weeks , if a track is not readily accessible ,
    anywhere you can find dirt would be great, it takes a lot of time to just
    learn how to shift, or change gears if semi auto/shift assist etc.

I'm sure some will say get him to a track right away, but just noodling around
    getting familiar with a bike takes time, he won't need prodding if he takes too
    it, after a day on any bike (small) bike , if he has the bug, it will be obvious.

Again , if a track and pro coaching isn't available, youtube as evil as it is has
    a gazillion good dirt bike starter videos.

My first Street Bike was a Harley , my first dirt bike was 3 mountain bikes that I tore up , then
    a full size pit bike after hundreds of hours developing semi advanced mtn bike skills, as nickers
    pointed out a mtn bike for some is not a bad place to start, but not required.

Good on you to take the time to help him out...
    Good point, no sense in putting a kid who's never rode right on a track. They do have different brackets but one should at least be familiar with the machine, but I'm sure Danke already knows this.
    "The Patriarch"

I love that kid. He is very talented in the motor skills department. Good at sports etc.

The hurdle is his mom. He is their only son. She is very protective.

But, I think he would thrive in motor sports.
    She doesn’t trust you, who guide passengers safely to their chosen destinations every day? Of all people to be safety aware, I would think you are the one would would do it best.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    She doesn’t trust you, who guide passengers safely to their chosen destinations every day? Of all people to be safety aware, I would think you are the one would would do it best.
    I don't think anyone who knows me, trusts me.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "The Patriarch"

Maybe get him a Dirt Bike video game.

Seriously I have wondered about these sports. When I was young had my own minibike then dirt bike. Had a friend that raced Moto Cross. Can be a pretty dangerous sport. Even joyriding on your own acreage thru the woods can be dangerous. People crash all the time. Anyone that becomes great at something usually starts when young. I figure that one day when some kid get brain damage or killed by crashing on a dirt bike, or snow skiing, or water skiing, or scuba diving, or mountain climbing, fixing up or rebuilding a car, or????.... any freaken thing, DCF and SJW will flock together to say you abused the child and were not taking proper care of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Maybe get him a Dirt Bike video game.

Seriously I have wondered about these sports. When I was young had my own minibike then dirt bike. Had a friend that raced Moto Cross. Can be a pretty dangerous sport. Even joyriding on your own acreage thru the woods can be dangerous. People crash all the time. Anyone that becomes great at something usually starts when young. I figure that one day when some kid get brain damage or killed by crashing on a dirt bike, or snow skiing, or water skiing, or scuba diving, or mountain climbing, fixing up or rebuilding a car, or????.... any freaken thing, DCF and SJW will flock together to say you abused the child and were not taking proper care of him.
    Ya, I crashed a few times. One time lucky I had a friend riding with me. I twisted my ankle so bad I could not kick start it to get home without his help.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I trust you.

~hugs~

Ya, I crashed a few times. One time lucky I had a friend riding with me. I twisted my ankle so bad I could not kick start it to get home without his help.
    I crashed a hundred+ times as a kid, if I hadn't worn a helmet I wouldn't be here today. It was all fun as all hell.

That happens on bicycles too. I think wrecking teaches you how to crash without hurting yourself worse and to ride within your skill level. I've seen lots of people jump on a motorcycle and try to do things way above their skill level and get hurt and lots of times they were people who didn't have a lot of bicycle riding experience.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

@Danke

Leathers,,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Asked again tonight, Mom says "no."
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

LOL, she sounds like a real helicopter parent- if thats the case I hope that someone else teaches them how to be human. People need to learn how to get back up after they fall down, it puts hair on their chest. Also it stops people from thrill seeking when they finally have a litle bit of control over their own destiny.

Do it anyway.

No words, sorry Danke. What about dad, or is it even relevant?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    No words, sorry Danke. What about dad, or is it even relevant?

He supports it...but mom rules.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I trust you.

~hugs~
    Thanks AF, I was feeling a bit down today, but that coming from you means a lot.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast