Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Are the Workers? A Farm Crisis in Washington

So, let's unpack that article, and this whole issue a little further:

I find any number of inconsistencies and logical fallacies throughout.

1 - "OMG the sky is falling". If everybody was out of work, they'd be whining about that.

2 - Taking Maine as an example: they are one of the highest taxed states in the nation. They have made it their goal to become Cape Cod north and pursue nothing but a tourist economy. Well, that doesn't pay $#@! and it's no way to try and raise a family.

3 - At the same time they have spent huge sums on education. So you have a young, well educated demographic with no real economic opportunity. What makes you think they are going to stick around?

4 - You have poisoned an entire generation with weirdosexual propaganda, to the point where a significant percentage of young people will hump any damn thing under the sun except each other and raise a family. Where did you expect "new people" to come from?

5 - You have poisoned an entire generation with cheap, easy abortion. Where did you expect "new people" to come from?

6 - And of course, the answer will be "We have to open our doors to immigrants to save us". And then see what kind of "care" your 100 year old mother gets, at the hands of some semi retarded migrant invader from Congo or Trashcanistan.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Across Maine, families like the Flahertys are being hammered by two slow-moving demographic forces — the growth of the retirement population and a simultaneous decline in young workers — that have been exacerbated by a national worker shortage pushing up the cost of labor. The unemployment rate in Maine is 3.2 percent, below the national average of 3.7 percent.

The disconnect between Maine’s aging population and its need for young workers to care for that population is expected to be mirrored in states throughout the country over the coming decade, demographic experts say. And that’s especially true in states with populations with fewer immigrants, who are disproportionately represented in many occupations serving the elderly, statistics show.

“We have added an entire generation since we first put the safety net in place but with no plan whatsoever for how to support them,” said Ai-jen Poo, co-
    director of Caring Across Generations, which advocates for long-term care. “As the oldest state, Maine is the tip of the spear — but it foreshadows what is to come for the entire country.”

Last year, Maine crossed a crucial aging milestone: A fifth of its population is older than 65, which meets the definition of “super-aged,” according to the World Bank.

By 2026, Maine will be joined by more than 15 other states, according to Fitch Ratings, including Vermont and New Hampshire, Maine’s neighbors in the Northeast; Montana; Delaware; West Virginia; Wisconsin; and Pennsylvania. More than a dozen more will meet that criterion by 2030.

Across the country, the number of seniors will grow by more than 40 million, approximately doubling between 2015 and 2050, while the population older than 85 will come close to tripling.

Experts say the nation will have to refashion its workforce, overhaul its old-age programs and learn how to care for tens of millions of elderly people without ruining their families’ financial lives.

The results of not doing so fast enough are already visible in Maine. At the Hibbard Nursing Home in a rural slice of the state, Beth Lagasse cried softly as her father recovered down the hallway in Room 113.

Lagasse’s mother broke her back in May and died in June. Her father suffered a stroke in July. The nursing home near her has no open beds, so she drives an hour every day to care for her ailing father after spending months caring for her mother.

Lagasse has not been able to read a book, go canoeing or take care of her 1-year-old Shetland puppy, Paddy, since her mother first got sick. Lagasse, a physical education teacher, and her three siblings cannot afford the cost of 24/7 care, although Medicare temporarily covered her father’s hospitalization.

“I love them. I love them dearly,” Lagasse, 55, says of her parents. “I just wish this weren’t so hard.”

'Just not enough people'
    Over the past two years, Mark Honey’s rare form of muscular dystrophy has proved so debilitating that he has lost control of his hands, legs and arms. Living alone in the small town of Ellsworth, Maine, Honey, 63, has for about 18 months looked for a nursing home where he can receive 24-hour care.

But with nursing homes across Maine closing at an unprecedented rate, Honey has been unsuccessful. Medicaid pays for a care aide to come to his home for 70 hours a week. But the state has told Honey it cannot find enough workers to cover the hours, even though he legally qualifies for the care.

Care workers in Maine were paid about $11.37 an hour in 2017, according to an AARP report, with a 2019 minimum wage of $11 an hour. As Kristi Penny, who has cared for Honey for four years, noted over the phone: “Even Dunkin’ Donuts pays you more.”

Honey said he lives in fear of one of the caretakers getting sick and quitting or finding another job. “When you’re confined to a bed, there’s not much you can work with,” Honey said. “It only takes one or two of the girls being sick, or one of the two of them quitting, for me to not be covered. And then you’re up the creek without a paddle.”

With its 65-and-older population expected to grow by 55 percent by 2026, Maine needs more nurses, more home-care workers and more physicians than ever to keep pace with demand for long-term-care services.

But the rising demand for care is occurring simultaneously with a dangerously low supply of workers.

About one-third of Maine’s physicians are older than 60. In several rural counties in the state, close to half of the registered nurses are 55 or older and expected to retire or cut back their hours within a decade.

Maine’s largest long-term-care provider, North Country Associates, has been forced to temporarily close admissions in each of its 26 nursing homes because of staffing shortages, sometimes for as long as several months, in an unprecedented change from a few years ago.

[Opinion: Medicare-for-all will help pay for long term care. Why don’t more people know that?]

It has also permanently shut down two of its nursing homes over the past year, while about a dozen nursing homes across the state have closed their doors over the past several years. Mary Jane Richards, chief operating officer at North Country Associates, said she has already raised wages four or five times in a bid to hire or retain staff.

“There are simply just not enough people to go around,” she said. “We try to elevate our wages, but then the nearest facility brings theirs up.”

Betsy Sawyer-Manter, president of the SeniorsPlus agency responsible for placing care workers with Medicaid enrollees, said she was not surprised by Flaherty’s story of failing to find a worker for her mother, despite qualifying for care. Sawyer-Manter said that every week her agency cannot fill more than 6,000 hours of direct care that have been authorized by the state because of worker shortages.

“If there aren’t any workers in that area, there’s nothing we can do,” Sawyer-Manter said. “As people retire, we just don’t have enough workers to do all the jobs we need done.”

One family at a time.'
    From 2015 to 2050, the number of Americans 85 and older will increase by more than 200 percent, while those ages 75 to 84 will rise by more than 100 percent, according to AARP. By contrast, the number of Americans younger than 65 will increase by about 12 percent.

America’s federal programs have not kept pace with this enormous demographic shift. With a few minor exceptions, Medicare does not pay for long-term-care services. Medicaid offers limited benefits but is available only to the very poor. The private market also has not been able to fill the void, as 7 percent of costs in the long-term-care market are covered by private long-term insurers.

Charlie Johnson watches television at home in Harpswell. (Marlena Sloss/The Washington Post)
    The United States is projected to have 7.8 million job openings for care workers by the middle of the next decade, making it among the fastest-growing professions in the country, with millions of new openings created by higher demand; millions of care workers retiring; and millions more finding new professions, according to the Paraprofessional Healthcare Institute, an advocacy organization. The total cost of caring for America’s elderly will double from $2.8 trillion to $5.6 trillion by 2047, a report by the consulting firm PwC found.

“The U.S. is just starting this journey, and Maine is at the leading edge,” said Jess Maurer, executive director of the Maine Council on Aging. “As we are living longer, all the systems that have always worked for us may have to be changed.”

Congress created a commission to study the long-term-care problem. In 2013, it issued dozens of recommendations, including a “national strategy” to help family caregivers, but “a fair number of these things have not been implemented. Those that have been implemented are being implemented far too slowly,” said Bruce Chernof, co-author of the commission’s report and president and chief executive of the SCAN Foundation, which advocates on long-term-care issues.

“Left unaddressed, this will be catastrophic. We as a country have not wrapped our heads around what it’s going to take to pay for long-term care,” Chernof said.

Other countries have responded to their aging populations with government-provided care, and many have beefed up the number of aides and providers. America and England are the only economically developed nations in the West that do not provide a universal long-term-care benefit, said Howard Gleckman, author of a book about long-term care and a senior fellow at the Urban Institute, a nonpartisan think tank.

“With climate change, towns get burned down, or people die in fires,” which helps focus national attention, Gleckman said. “This is one family at a time suffering in silence.”

'Far too few younger people'
    Albert Rose sits on the wharf of his seafood business and fumes that he cannot find help with his daily work of moving and unloading 50 crates of lobster, each often more than 100 pounds. In Harpswell, median age 57, he lives in the oldest town of America’s oldest state.

Rose, 40, has suffered from two torn rotator cuffs and a herniated disk but continues to perform the heavy labor *himself in part because he has for the past five years been unable to find young workers, absent sporadic help from college students during their summer vacations.

“Ten years ago, every spring you had young people wanting work on the wharf or want to work on a lobster boat,” Rose said. “I haven’t seen a single person this spring or summer looking for boatwork.”

Maine’s aging population, and its dearth of young workers, falls particularly hard on poorer businesses and parts of the state that do not have enough resources to compete amid the shortfall.

Piscataquis County, a region in the north battered by the closure of its lumber mills, will see the number of people ages 75 to 84 increase by 81 percent from 2015 to 2025, according to the Muskie School of Public Service at the University of Southern Maine.

The biggest impact likely is in health care for the elderly.

There are 34 physicians in the county, about 70 percent less than the state average per person, and fewer available nursing home beds per person, according to a Maine Health Access Foundation report. Half the physicians in the county are older than 50, as are half the nurses.

Stepping into the breach is Pine Tree Hospice, one of the few dozen volunteer hospices in the United States. The hospice’s volunteers do not provide medical services, but they go to the homes of patients in end-of-life care, cooking, cleaning or playing a game of cribbage. About one-quarter of the volunteers are themselves in their 70s. They like reciting the hospice’s motto: “We can’t add years to your life, but we can add life to your years.”

When Jane Stitham began as the executive director of the hospice about a decade ago, she urged as many elderly people as possible to call for free end-of-life care. But over the past two years, Stitham said, the hospice has shifted its focus to recruiting new volunteers, as its waiting list has grown dramatically. Every month, Stitham has to turn away one to two people whom the hospice cannot reach.

“There are far too few younger people in the mix of volunteers,” said Meg Callaway, who ran a program in the county focused on helping older people.

Cliff Singer, who runs an *Alzheimer’s clinic in an isolated northern region of the state, said his waiting list has more than doubled to 70 people, meaning it takes 10 months for patients to see him. Singer is trying to hire nine nurses, which would allow him to cut his waiting list dramatically, but he only has three, in part because of fierce competition from other hospitals and clinicians.

“It feels awful not to be able to help more people,” Singer said. “But we really can’t.”
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, let's "unpack" the article, shall we?

- Offered more than minimum wage to obtain/keep workers.

- Hourly bonuses to those willing to stay on the entire season.

- H-2A Visa "requirement" involves 4 Federal Agencies. On top of additional State requirements.

- Employer is required by government mandate to pay Housing, Meals and Transportation.

From the typical responses in this thread, it sounds like Government is NOT to blame, and Labor Unions are the way to go, otherwise the responses are tough sh/t and something smells. The bleeding heart lady who took it upon herself to own/run a business and employ people for an actual wage to provide product, whether she knows what to do or not, is completely to blame.

This forum as of late... yep, something smells. Especially when I get repeated Neg-Reps for posting Ron Paul articles and quotations.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    We have added an entire generation since we first put the safety net in place but with no plan whatsoever for how to support them,” said Ai-jen Poo, (wtf is a Ai-jen Poo?)

Lagasse has not been able to read a book, go canoeing or take care of her 1-year-old Shetland puppy, Paddy, since her mother first got sick. Lagasse, a physical education teacher, and her three siblings cannot afford the cost of 24/7 care, although Medicare temporarily covered her father’s hospitalization. (and here you see much of the problem, her idea of family is a Shetland pony)
    There is so much wrong about this article it would take an hour to spell it all out.
    "The Patriarch"

Finally found a way to shut liberals up.

One lamented on FB how chicken prices were going up due to ICE Raids.

"Well, I guess chicken prices are going to go up. About the only damn thing I can afford in Trump's America."

So I responded...

"How very progressive and humanitarian of you to demand to afford cheap chicken borne on the backs of illegal, low wage, no benefits, laborers. "

Edited out my comment and blocked me. Lolol. Truth hurts.

I would pay to watch that.
    Antifa on the farm:

“Excuse me! Excuse me capitalist pig slave master lady! There are strong odors here, and they are triggering my asthma. And that tractor machine over there is making too much noise, and it’s triggering my anxiety. It’s using fossil fuels, and we may suffocate here, let alone the damage to the climate. We will be under water in 10 years because of this!”
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post

- H-2A Visa "requirement" involves 4 Federal Agencies. On top of additional State requirements.

- Employer is required by government mandate to pay Housing, Meals and Transportation.

From the typical responses in this thread, it sounds like Government is NOT to blame, and Labor Unions are the way to go, otherwise the responses are tough sh/t and something smells. The bleeding heart lady who took it upon herself to own/run a business and employ people for an actual wage to provide product, whether she knows what to do or not, is completely to blame.

This forum as of late... yep, something smells. Especially when I get repeated Neg-Reps for posting Ron Paul articles and quotations.
    But government is to blame, just like Tod pointed out;

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    End free-$#@! programs and that broad will have single mothers lining up to pick her zucchini...
    There are vast groups of homeless people all over the Puget Sound area that have no intention of working nor have any need to thanks to government freebies and idiots who hand out their money to them. Take those away and the impositions government imposed on her business.

None of that changes my impression of this woman.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Antifa on the farm:

“Excuse me! Excuse me capitalist pig slave master lady! There are strong odors here, and they are triggering my asthma. And that tractor machine over there is making too much noise, and it’s triggering my anxiety. It’s using fossil fuels, and we may suffocate here, let alone the damage to the climate. We will be under water in 10 years because of this!”
    It would make some fine reality tv.
    "The Patriarch"

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    What about Prohibited Persons..

It is the same Garbage you idiot.
    There is nothing the same about it, idiot.
    Invaders don't have a right to be here let alone a right to work here and traitors have no right to give aid and comfort to the enemy.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's more the fault of the free-$#@! programs than minimum wage.

Both are in play.....................But....................Un til the free $#@! ends currency devaluation can go on and on just like distractions like minimum wage arguments..

If the free $#@! ever ends the $20.00 FRN will be the copper penny of yore and America can try again.

Or we can keep on inflating our way to collapse.

The world is bucking the FRN as reserve currency, yet Nero fiddles...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post

Did not offer enough, looks like.

Not a big enough bonus, it appears.

14.12 an hour for back breaking work is B.S.
    That's if they want to use the h-2A visa program. They can always try hiring Americans. Guarantee it will be a lot more than 14.12 an hour, especially in Washington State.
    From the typical responses in this thread, it sounds like Government is NOT to blame, and Labor Unions are the way to go,
    Labor unions? who said anythign about labor unions?

otherwise the responses are tough sh/t and something smells.
    Quit crying.

The bleeding heart lady who took it upon herself to own/run a business and employ people for an actual wage to provide product, whether she knows what to do or not, is completely to blame.
    She did not even lose money, and she is not paying minimum wage. Listen to her statements, she claimed with hesitation it was above minimum wage, that means it was above minimum wage for those who filled the bushels the fastest. Because that labor is often paid by the bushel. She also said what could be a fantastic year was only normal because of the labor shortage.,

Stop crying.

Banned

Blog Entries
    But government is to blame, just like Tod pointed out;

There are vast groups of homeless people all over the Puget Sound area that have no intention of working nor have any need to thanks to government freebies and idiots who hand out their money to them. Take those away and the impositions government imposed on her business.

None of that changes my impression of this woman.
    Don't forget you can get SSI for "invisible disabilities" like depression and bi-polar.
    It's like being able to call in sick to school to watch movies and play video games, except now they can do it for life.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    Don't forget you can get SSI for "invisible disabilities" like depression and bi-polar.
    It's like being able to call in sick to school to watch movies and play video games, except now they can do it for life.
    I have seen people do that, sickening.
    "The Patriarch"

And I have watched forks with real disabilities fight for years,,, My cousin died before he got any help,,

and nothing from the Union either,, after years in the Trades.

I have watched Unions not help at all several times. No use for them.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

And I have watched forks with real disabilities fight for years,,, My cousin died before he got any help,,

And some of the cheats then moonlight on it for more income.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

The Walmart's all have a labor shortage too.. I hear about it from employees there.

Mostly due to who they refuse to hire,, or are Forbidden to hire.

Lots of folks apply,, I did.. and couldn't get hired with a relative as the Manager.

There are folks that would work,, and are rejected...repeatedly.
    at some point they say phuck it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

It's true. I've seen it go both ways, there seems to be little in the way of justice or helping people. If you don't know how to play the game properly you won't get much in the way of help. When the dreaded sciatica hit me L+I wouldn't pay me $#@! and ok'ed me to go back to drywall work when I could barely stand up and walk. I was drinking whiskey on the damn job just so I could move. Fun times.

I saw the doc that cleared me for work at a trial some years later that I did jury duty on and he was a medical "witness" for the plaintiff in a injury lawsuit. The bastard was nothing more than a quack for hire and when I saw him he was working for the state.

But like I said I've also seen the pro's make a career out of it.
    "The Patriarch"

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Banned

Blog Entries
    It's true. I've seen it go both ways, there seems to be little in the way of justice or helping people. If you don't know how to play the game properly you won't get much in the way of help. When the dreaded sciatica hit me L+I wouldn't pay me $#@! and ok'ed me to go back to drywall work when I could barely stand up and walk. I was drinking whiskey on the damn job just so I could move. Fun times.

I saw the doc that cleared me for work at a trial some years later that I did jury duty on and he was a medical "witness" for the plaintiff in a injury lawsuit. The bastard was nothing more than a quack for hire and when I saw him he was working for the state.

I knew a libertarian drywaller.
    Used to walk on his stilts at the Libertarian fair booth dressed as Uncle Sam.

I knew a libertarian drywaller.
    Used to walk on his stilts at the Libertarian fair booth dressed as Uncle Sam.
    I went around on them on Halloween a couple times, never did Uncle Sam though. Going to have to do that.
    "The Patriarch"

I'd put money on her putting a crop insurance claim. It was more lucrative than paying higher wages. The disingenuous story is disingenuous - they have a political agenda. Labor shortages and lower profit margins due to crop surplus will result in crops being plowed over. I'm not worried about the illegals, or the H1's, and I'm not willing to be manipulated by some bullsh!t story that's happening all over the place - why omit important details - WHO PAID FOR THE 100K in lost crops? There's a good chance that everyone on this thread did.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Yeah,, for those that work the system... I hate the system.. Michigan has been a Welfare State since before I was Born..
    I have personally avoided it till now.

see grumpy thread..
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    I'd put money on her putting a crop insurance claim. It was more lucrative than paying higher wages. The disingenuous story is disingenuous - they have a political agenda. Labor shortages and lower profit margins due to crop surplus will result in crops being plowed over. I'm not worried about the illegals, or the H1's, and I'm not willing to be manipulated by some bullsh!t story that's happening all over the place - why omit important details - WHO PAID FOR THE 100K in lost crops? There's a good chance that everyone on this thread did.
    Not only that........

We paid for the crop pickers to lay on the couch thumb-$#@!ing their phones in section 8 housing belching up subsidized food stuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Not only that........

We paid for the crop pickers to lay on the couch thumb-$#@!ing their phones in section 8 housing belching up subsidized food stuffs.
    What a country.....
    "The Patriarch"

What a country.....
    Bizarro World most days... and I'm tasked will watching the nonsense.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

It's screwed up ain't it? Welfare benefits are more enticing for potential laborers than going out and putting a day's work somewhere. At the same time, subsidies are more enticing than hiring people to pick your crops.

I don't really buy into the story either. I don't know many small operation farms that pay based on hourly wages. Usually you get paid for your productivity, like you might get paid a certain amount for every bushel of corn you pick. Corporate farms probably do offer hourly wages, never worked for one. Maybe she meant it in a way to say that if you're really good at picking, you can make more than minimum wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So get your ass out there and start picking lady.

She could stand to lose a few pounds doing it too. Or she could start breeding workers, like in the old days.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    She could stand to lose a few pounds doing it too. Or she could start breeding workers, like in the old days.
    That would take at least a decade. There's a better chance that her elected officials in Olympia will pass a law establishing soviet-style agricultural labor camps sooner than that. The camps would also serve to focus the minds of the laborers

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

The Walmart's all have a labor shortage too.. I hear about it from employees there.

Mostly due to who they refuse to hire,, or are Forbidden to hire.

Lots of folks apply,, I did.. and couldn't get hired with a relative as the Manager.

There are folks that would work,, and are rejected...repeatedly.
    at some point they say phuck it.
    I'm sure it would be pretty easy to find work with trump's re-election campaign or one of the three-letter agencies, making 39+ posts a day here calling immigrants "invaders" and Ron Paul supporters "leftists" and "communists".
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

I just started a thread in Freedom Living with an interview Joe Rogan did with this guy.

After watching this video then getting lost in youtube hell last night I'm honestly impressed.

100k loss...
    First generation farm...
    No workers...
    Hmmmmm...

What was paid out of pocket for that farm?

Did they have crop insurance?

Were there government subsidies, including tax incentives?

Ultimately, who paid for the loss, and what was the driving force for planting the crop in the first place?

Weigh those answers against: "we pay more than minimum wage"...

How much more than minimum wage, and was it cheaper to just plow the crops over than to increase wages?

My bet is that there was less incentive for the farmers to save those crops. This story, seems to me, to be more about the unintended consequences of government meddling, than chasing off those poor illegal aliens. Lots of well intended people, business owners and government alike, make poor decisions. Its part of the human experience - the difference being whether there is incentive in learning from one's mistakes. I know there is little incentive for government to learn, what about the farmers?

Joel seems to have it figured out - where are all his illegal aliens? Why isn't he plowing over his crops? How the heck can he afford to farm, and fight off the government attacks?:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast