Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Are the Workers? A Farm Crisis in Washington

Where Are the Workers? A Farm Crisis in Washington

Contract Rights between employer/employee... government interference, and people who can’t mind their own business interference.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Same as it ever was.

https://depts.washington.edu/civilr/farmwk_ch3.htm
    1933 Battle of Congdon Orchards

In Washington State, the white male migrant labor struggle in the Yakima Valley in 1933 fomented a battle that would equal some California labor struggles in its strength.
    According to historian James Newbill, “for a short time, guardsmen had a 30 caliber machine gun mounted at the main intersection in Selah and two more at Yakima Avenue and Front Street in Yakima.
    Skin color doesn't matter when there's money and politics in play. Of course, the students of history here know that. Generation Snowflake have been pretty much indoctrinated otherwise.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

End free-$#@! programs and that broad will have single mothers lining up to pick her zucchini...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Contract Rights between employer/employee... government interference, and people who can’t mind their own business interference.
    How Much are you paying?

"We pay... above minimum wage..."

It's hurtful... ..we had to turn over $100,000 worth of zucchini back into the ground.

Guess they should have thought about all that profit they were going to lose before they advertised wages.

Try, "we pay... about twice minimum wage...." and then you have $40,000 in zucchini profit.

The white women plantation owner is sad her slave labor is drying up.

Dear me, I hope she doesn't faint.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    End free-$#@! programs and that broad will have single mothers lining up to pick her zucchini...
    Yeah, that's what the open borders people say about welfare. But they don't mean it in this context, as it always was just a deflection.

The right to freedom of contract doesn't extend to invaders or those who give them aid and comfort.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    "White woman plantation owner" should have her American citizen slaves lining up to kiss her ass for enough money to feed their spawn.

It's the bleeding hearts who insist on free-$#@! programs that have brought all this strife to the country.

So get your ass out there and start picking lady.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    OMG. Yeah 1st generation farm has it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    OMG. Yeah 1st generation farm has it figured out.
    She's the AOC of farming.
    "The Patriarch"

This moron. Hold a job fair in downtown Seattle, there's over 12000 homeless people. Crisis solved, but this white liberal don't care.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post

Dear me, I hope she doesn't faint.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    "White woman plantation owner" should have her American citizen slaves lining up to kiss her ass for enough money to feed their spawn.

It's the bleeding hearts who insist on free-$#@! programs that have brought all this strife to the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    So get your ass out there and start picking lady.
    Funny, the same thought occurred to me.

Something not terribly sympathetic about that woman.

“People used to walk on and ask for work, now we, gasp, have to look for people.”

How did farms ever survive without migrant workers? Seems like at one time there was no school in summer so everyone could work on harvesting. Perhaps one problem, in addition to welfare and teens not wanting to work, is that the population has concentrated too much in coastal cities, instead of being close enough to farming communities. Teens in Seattle can’t work in eastern Washington. Too far.

Edit: but in the case of this broad, she’s in a suburb of Seattle. If she can’t find any labor there, something is terribly wrong, and it has nothing to do with workers from south of the border.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 08-17-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    This moron. Hold a job fair in downtown Seattle, there's over 12000 homeless people. Crisis solved, but this white liberal don't care.
    Yeah. Go to local High Schools. Let some of these leftist kids put their money where their mouth is.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The whole story doesn't smell right, and she doesn't exactly strike me as farmer material.
    "The Patriarch"

Coming out of Washington, gee let me guess, liberals lying about anything
    they can imagine to help push America into the 3rd world bliss they dream of.....

@Originalist , indeed, very fishy odor.....

Banned

Blog Entries
    I like the part at the end, where the young white privileged woman reporter empathizes with the young privileged white woman about the oppression of having to spend time and effort trying to find people to slave in your fields for less than 14.12 an hour, instead of virtue signalling on Facebook about how much you care for immigrants, refugeees, and asylum seekers.

When will the oppression of the privileged white women end? How many more mexican men must we enslave until the privileged white women finally have their equality?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The whole story doesn't smell right, and she doesn't exactly strike me as farmer material.
    Yeah shes not exactly dressed like a farmer. Wheres her overalls?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Yeah shes not exactly dressed like a farmer. Wheres her overalls?
    Lol, she doesn't have to wear overalls. I grew up in rural western Washington and went to school with farm girls. She definitely isn't from that class of people.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The right to freedom of contract doesn't extend to invaders or those who give them aid and comfort.
    What about Prohibited Persons..

It is the same Garbage you idiot.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I wonder just how many people are Blackballed for employment in this country.??

I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

It smells like standard US Chamber and leftist propaganda.

Maybe she can go to Seattle and recruit some Antifa kids to work for her?

100k loss...
    First generation farm...
    No workers...
    Hmmmmm...

What was paid out of pocket for that farm?

Did they have crop insurance?

Were there government subsidies, including tax incentives?

Ultimately, who paid for the loss, and what was the driving force for planting the crop in the first place?

Weigh those answers against: "we pay more than minimum wage"...

How much more than minimum wage, and was it cheaper to just plow the crops over than to increase wages?

My bet is that there was less incentive for the farmers to save those crops. This story, seems to me, to be more about the unintended consequences of government meddling, than chasing off those poor illegal aliens. Lots of well intended people, business owners and government alike, make poor decisions. Its part of the human experience - the difference being whether there is incentive in learning from one's mistakes. I know there is little incentive for government to learn, what about the farmers?

Joel seems to have it figured out - where are all his illegal aliens? Why isn't he plowing over his crops? How the heck can he afford to farm, and fight off the government attacks?:

Last edited by brushfire; 08-17-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I've never met anyone from Washington state with half a brain...besides you that is
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It smells like standard US Chamber and leftist propaganda.

Maybe she can go to Seattle and recruit some Antifa kids to work for her?
    I would pay to watch that.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    I've never met anyone from Washington state with half a brain...besides you that is
    It wasn't always this way.....
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah. Go to local High Schools. Let some of these leftist kids put their money where their mouth is.
    Get rid of the easy govt backed students loans and you would regain that labor market again.

'This will be catastrophic’: Maine families face elder boom, worker shortage in preview of nation’s future

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=pocket-newtab

DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — Janet Flaherty got an alarming call last October from the agency tasked with coordinating in-home care for her 82-year-old mother. It could no longer send her mom’s home caretaker. It knew of no other aides who could care for her mother, either.

Flaherty’s mother, Caroline, has for two years qualified for in-home care paid for by the state’s Medicaid program. But the agency could not find someone to hire amid a severe shortage of workers that has crippled facilities for seniors across the state.

With private help now bid up to $50 an hour, Janet and her two sisters have been forced to do what millions of families in a rapidly aging America have done: take up second, unpaid jobs caring full time for their mother.

“We do not know what to do. We do not know where to go. We are in such dire need of help,” said Flaherty, an insurance saleswoman.

More at link...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

In what other industry do people get away with paying only for a few weeks with no benefits, and they expect the labor to come to them?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    'This will be catastrophic’: Maine families face elder boom, worker shortage in preview of nation’s future

DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — Janet Flaherty got an alarming call last October from the agency tasked with coordinating in-home care for her 82-year-old mother. It could no longer send her mom’s home caretaker. It knew of no other aides who could care for her mother, either.

Flaherty’s mother, Caroline, has for two years qualified for in-home care paid for by the state’s Medicaid program. But the agency could not find someone to hire amid a severe shortage of workers that has crippled facilities for seniors across the state.

With private help now bid up to $50 an hour, Janet and her two sisters have been forced to do what millions of families in a rapidly aging America have done: take up second, unpaid jobs caring full time for their mother.

“We do not know what to do. We do not know where to go. We are in such dire need of help,” said Flaherty, an insurance saleswoman.

More at link...
    You have run out of free stories. Subscribe now and get every story for $10 $4 a month (that's only $1 a week).
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

More at link...
    My mom is in her early 90's and has no in home care, all of us kids have offered repeatedly to have her stay with us but so far she refuses.
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast