Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crying on the job? You're not alone, with 8 in 10 workers shedding tears

Exclamation Crying on the job? You're not alone, with 8 in 10 workers shedding tears

Crying on the job? You're not alone, with 8 in 10 workers shedding tears

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/crying-...hedding-tears/

BY AIMEE PICCHI

AUGUST 15, 2019 / 9:00 AM / MONEYWATCH

8 in 10 workers admit to crying at work, with almost half of those saying bosses or colleagues had driven them to tears.

About 14% of workers say they cry at least once a week, and sometimes every day.

Crying at work can be a sign that something is wrong, such as workplace bullying, and should spur workers to make changes like looking for a new job, career experts say.

It turns out that misery has company — lots of company. More than 8 in 10 workers admit to crying at work, with almost half of those saying they were driven to tears because of their bosses or colleagues, according to a new survey from career site Monster.com.

The question of whether people cry at work was sparked by Monster's earlier research that found a majority of workers have held jobs they didn't feel were a good fit for them, Monster's chief marketing officer, Jonathan Beamer, said in an email.

"The results show that there are multiple factors—a toxic boss or co-worker, or a heavy workload—that can make people cry at work, providing further proof that American workers are suffering," Beamer noted.

Even though a majority of workers say they've cried at work, it's likely they are closing the door of a conference room or taking a moment in the restroom to shed their tears, noted Monster career expert Vicki Salemi in an interview. Crying in the workplace still carries a stigma, she added, because some see it as a sign of weakness.

But if you find yourself crying at work, don't ignore the fact it may signal deep issues with a toxic workplace or a problem like being overworked, she added.

"If someone else sees you, it's not 'game over,' " she said. The more important challenge is to "do an internal check-in: 'Why am I upset?' Get to the root of it, then figure out the solution."

Why people cry at work

More than 45% of respondents who said they cry at work blamed bosses or colleagues, Monster found.

Personal issues were a distant second, with about 19% of workplace weepers blaming problems at home or in their non-workplace lives for following them through the office door.

Another 16% said their workloads had caused them to cry, suggesting many people may feel overwhelmed at work, Salemi said. If that's the case, consider talking with your boss about how to lighten your workload, she said.

Another 13% blamed bullying at work, the survey found. The other causes were a client or an error at work, the survey said.

Workers who are in toxic environments and decide they need a new job should keep those issues top of mind when they interview at potential employers, Salemi noted.

"Watch the work environment — what is the body language like," Salemi said. And to help get through a bad situation at a current job, remember that the jU.S. ob market is promising these days, with low unemployment and high employer demand for the right skills. Your current job misery, she noted, need only be a temporary thing.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Women in the workplace.

Soy-boys..

WTF happened to my country!?

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    WTF happened to my country!?
    Employment at will. Your boss can fire you if they don't like you.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...oyment-at-will

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Employment at will. Your boss can fire you if they don't like you.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...oyment-at-will
    I am self employed with no employees. I have to really screw up to get fired.

Then like me, your boss is probably a slave-driving $#@!.

You have to acknowledge this is not a typical situation

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Works for me...

Only problem is every customer is your boss...

Good thing is firing your boss doesn't leave you jobless.

Even so, when I did work for others, I never cried on the job. That's pointless and crazy

It’s the customers. Always the customers. It is amazing how people can be so ignorant, neglectful, and chintzy, then expect someone to swoop in on a white horse to save the day at no additional cost to them. Snd be ugly and abusive to the people who ar trying to help them.

I have cried twice.
    Last edited by euphemia; 08-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

And that is a big part of our problems in this country: not enough small business owners and self-employed people. That is why you have this bake the cake bull$#@!. People that have only ever known working for others don't realize that for the self-employed their work life IS their home life and their business is just as much private property as their home.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    And that is a big part of our problems in this country: not enough small business owners and self-employed people. That is why you have this bake the cake bull$#@!. People that have only ever known working for others don't realize that for the self-employed their work life IS their home life and their business is just as much private property as their home.
    Back when things were different lots of the population did work for themselves, back when 'government employment' was a stigma reserved for those who couldn't make it in the private sector.

Somehow with their laws-n-regulations the lesser members of society who had to settle for 'government employment' have managed to largely squash the drive and ingenuity of their betters.

Makes one view the drug/psych issues so prevalent today in a different light....

I've never once cried on the job ever. At least not in the sense because I was feeling frustrated.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

8 in 10 workers are women? Seems high.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

This can't be for real.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    8 in 10 workers are women? Seems high.
    If you are talking offices, corporate/government bureaucracy, etc, then that is probably accurate.

Construction crews were not included in the survey.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I have Occupational Tourette's... does that count?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Legislators need to do something about these conditions!

My go to is throwing/kicking things. When I worked at a restaurant back in the day I threw a bottle of honey mustard at one coworker, a spatula at another, and a potato at one of the managers.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

People are mostly jerks. They don’t know the terms of service and think it is perfectly fine to treat total strangers with the most aggressive kind of disrespect.
    #NashvilleStrong

WTF . If you candy asses have time to cry you need more work to do. That was the first thing that popped in my head . Then I smiled and remembered I am retired.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    WTF . If you candy asses have time to cry you need more work to do. That was the first thing that popped in my head . Then I smiled and remembered I am retired.
    Please be careful how you express that. I am customer service tough. Once in a while someone comes along who clearly was raised by wolves and who is aggressive and obnoxious to the core.
    #NashvilleStrong

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Please be careful how you express that. I am customer service tough. Once in a while someone comes along who clearly was raised by wolves and who is aggressive and obnoxious to the core.
    I thought all the ones raised by wolves just hung out here all day.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    What about people who pretend to cry in order to illicit an emotional response or un-nerve your adversaries into having to back down from their position or have the moral highground in a negotiation?
    See my earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Women in the workplace.

Soy-boys..

Jerks should plan to live a life far away from civilization without any kind of service. They should do their own medical care, car care, their own repair work of any kind because they do not need to inflict themselves on the general public. They should never eat in a restaurant, stay in a hotel, or go to any public attraction.
    #NashvilleStrong

I'll give you somethin' to cry about, you sniveling little $#@!.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Jerks should plan to live a life far away from civilization without any kind of service. They should do their own medical care, car care, their own repair work of any kind because they do not need to inflict themselves on the general public. They should never eat in a restaurant, stay in a hotel, or go to any public attraction.
    Been my experience jerks tend to gravitate to cities..

Larger pond to hide in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast