Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donald Trump reportedly wants to purchase Greenland from Denmark

Donald Trump reportedly wants to purchase Greenland from Denmark

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rchase-denmark

All of it. Unclear if it would be on behalf of the US government or himself. It i also unknown if Denmark is even willing to sell it.

Donald Trump is fond of bragging about his conspicuous wealth and buying power, plastering his name over buildings and gilding the elevators of Trump Tower. But his latest reported aspiration is on the extravagant side, even for him: to purchase Greenland from Denmark.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the US president has “expressed interest” in buying the icy territory – the world’s largest island – and has asked his aides to explore the possibility. He has even sought the view of the White House counsel, though the Journal noted his inquiries came “with varying degrees of seriousness”.

News that Trump had set his sights on acquiring a meaty chunk of the Kingdom of Denmark set Twitter aflutter on Thursday night. Pundits tried in vain to find a real estate valuation for the 811,000 square miles on Zillow, while others attempted to calculate Greenland’s worth in pickled herring.

Despite the levity the idea has provoked, it is not entirely in the realm of fantasy. In 1946 US President Harry Truman tried to buy Greenland from Denmark for $100m but was rebuffed. There was a more successful precedent dating back to 1917 when the US acquired the Danish West Indies, rebranding them the US Virgin Islands.

The US military already has a major airbase on Greenland, on the north-west of the island. The base has 600 personnel and is important in the country’s global radar system.

Trump travels to Denmark next month in his first official visit to the kingdom, though Greenland is not thought to be on the agenda. The Journal reported that the president raised the issue at a dinner last year in which he said he had heard Denmark was finding its financial support to the self-governing territory burdensome.

Floating the thought of the US buying the island, he asked the other guests: “What do you guys think about that?”

What Denmark thinks about that is in itself not at all clear. The Guardian asked the Danish embassy in Washington for a comment but did not receive an immediate response.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fisheries, natural resources, oil and gas...might be a good idea.

Alaska east.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Fisheries, natural resources, oil and gas...might be a good idea.

Alaska east.
    If the plan is to declare bankruptcy and default on our debts then why not buy up some valuable assets first?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Does Denmark really want to do a deal with a country thats 22 trillion+ dollars in debt?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Does Denmark really want to do a deal with a country thats 22 trillion+ dollars in debt?
    If they get their money upfront then why not?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

All of it. Unclear if it would be on behalf of the US government or himself. It i also unknown if Denmark is even willing to sell it.
    Not to be too snarky , but if you read the article, it is obviously on behalf of the US.

Great thing is that if we buy it, the govt will grab 95 % of it, designate it as a National monument , then Hilary
    and Mueller will broker the mining rights to Russia.

We should just take it. What is Denmark gonna do about it?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Maybe he wants to get rid of Puerto Rico and trade them for something else?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How about a straight swap for California?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Better than bombing the $#@! out of it.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Yeah really, and when the E.U. complains tell them were pulling our troops out of Europe until they pony up their share to defend that continent. hehehe

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If they get their money upfront then why not?
    The fed could print it on the spot.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Lol, out of rep.
    "The Patriarch"

The territory has had a somewhat tenuous relationship with the Danish government recently, and polling indicates that a majority of Greenlandic people (64%) favor independence. Joining the United States as a territory could represent a way for the people of Greenland to change their political status without taking the risks of declaring independence as a fully sovereign and new country. The island has a population of approximately 56,000, and is the least densely populated territory on Earth.

Entering the U.S. would provide Greenland’s residents with access to the world’s wealthiest national economic market, and probably provide them a measure of self-government greater than what Denmark can offer.

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/report...-of-greenland/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Excellent.

Of course they might just give them a giant EBT Card.

This proves Donald Trump is a terrible person?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    +rep they would just bitch about it to the EU, who in turn would bitch about it to NATO, who in turn would just bitch about it to themselves.

Europe is full of whiny pussies we don't have to pay them a dime
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Debateable
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    To be fair, most tyrants and killers politely ask first before bombing. Remember Taliban visiting Texas in the late 90s? Or Bush asking Saddam to leave? Or Obama doing the same with Gaddafi?

Denmark is no third world country so just bombing is out of the question. They would have to go Hitler mode feminization in order to pull it off.

Can we make it the new mega Alcatraz and send all of the elites and MSM puppets there?

Indeed. Eric the red didn't buy it, he just took it.

Nothing. They don't have the might to go up against the US.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49367792

Greenland: Trump warned that island cannot be bought from Denmark

Greenland has said it is "not for sale" after President Donald Trump stated that he would like the US to buy the world's biggest island.

The president is said to have discussed the idea of purchasing Greenland, an autonomous Danish territory, during dinners and meetings with advisers.

But Greenland's government dismissed the idea, saying: "We're open for business, not for sale."

Mr Trump's plans have also been quickly dismissed by politicians in Denmark. "It must be an April Fool's Day joke...but totally out of [season]!", tweeted former Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen.

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ), which first reported the news, said Mr Trump had spoken about the purchase with "varying degrees of seriousness".

Sources quoted in other media differed over whether the president was joking or seriously hoping to expand US territory.

How has Greenland reacted?
    Officials in Greenland have insisted that the island is not on the market.

"Greenland is rich in valuable resources such as minerals, the purest water and ice, fish stocks, seafood, renewable energy and is a new frontier for adventure tourism. We're open for business, not for sale," the foreign ministry said in a statement shared on social media.

Greenland Premier Kim Kielsen repeated the comments in a separate statement. "Greenland is not for sale, but Greenland is open for trade and cooperation with other countries, including the USA," he said.

Greenland MP Aaja Chemnitz Larsen was also among those to dismiss the president's interest.

"No thanks to Trump buying Greenland!", she wrote on Twitter, adding that a "better and more equal partnership with Denmark" was the way forward.

Poul Krarup, editor-in-chief of Greenland's Sermitsiaq newspaper, told the BBC he "couldn't believe" Mr Trump's remarks.

"Greenland is an independent area in the Danish kingdom and must be respected as such," he said.

But he said he thought the chances of Mr Trump's reported ambitions being realised were unlikely.

"We'd like to cooperate with the US, no doubt about that, but we are independent and we decide who our friends are."

What about Denmark?
    Politicians in Denmark have ridiculed the idea of a possible US acquisition.

"If he is truly contemplating this, then this is final proof, that he has gone mad," foreign affairs spokesman for the populist Danish People's Party, Soren Espersen, told national broadcaster DR.

"The thought of Denmark selling 50,000 citizens to the United States is completely ridiculous."

"Out of all things that are not going to happen, this is the most unlikely. Forget it," Danish Conservative MP Rasmus Jarlov wrote on Twitter.

Denmark's Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, who took office earlier this year, has not commented on the reports.

She is set to visit Greenland this weekend and has said she is "very much looking forward" to it.

Mr Trump is scheduled to visit Denmark in September but there is no indication that the possible acquisition of Greenland is on the agenda.

The WSJ reported that it was "unclear" how the US would go about acquiring Greenland if Mr Trump was serious.
    More at link.

All I see in your quoted article are a bunch of comments from political hacks. I'd prefer to hear what the people of Greenland have to say.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow, so even the politicians in Greenland are out of touch with the populace.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

What do the people of Greenland have to say about this? I'm assuming they'd be all for it?

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Wow, so even the politicians in Greenland are out of touch with the populace.
    What does the populace think about selling the country to the US?

Why not trade Puerto Rico for Greenland?

Greenland MP Aaja Chemnitz Larsen

Kick her off when we take it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

What does the populace think about selling the country to the US?
    Why would that matter? I don't understand your question.
    - Kim Kardashian

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast