Thread: Iran oil tanker: Gibraltar orders release of Grace 1

Iran oil tanker: Gibraltar orders release of Grace 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49362182

Gibraltar has freed an Iranian oil tanker detained last month on suspicion of sanctions-busting, despite a last-minute plea by the US authorities.

The UK territory received written assurances from Iran that the ship would not discharge its cargo in Syria.

Grace 1, carrying Iranian oil, was stopped by Royal Marines on 4 July, triggering a standoff with Tehran.

Gibraltar's chief justice, Anthony Dudley, said no US application was currently before the court.

An independent legal body would make a determination on the American request, Gibraltar's Chief Minister Fabian Picardo said in a statement.

It was not immediately clear when the tanker would put out to sea.

The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office said Iran must abide by the assurances it had given that the tanker would not proceed to Syria, which is under EU sanctions.
    More at link.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Disappointing, I know.

https://gcaptain.com/iran-tanker-shi...off-gibraltar/
    Iran Tanker Shifts Position But Still at Anchor Off Gibraltar

The Grace 1 had its name erased and it was no longer flying a Panama flag.
    No captain worth their salt is going to be getting underway in an unflagged vessel. In international waters, a navy vessel from any country can board and take possession. Individual crew would then be treated in accordance with treaty obligations to their nation of citizenship.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Disappointing, I know.

https://gcaptain.com/iran-tanker-shi...off-gibraltar/
    Iran Tanker Shifts Position But Still at Anchor Off Gibraltar

No captain worth their salt is going to be getting underway in an unflagged vessel. In international waters, a navy vessel from any country can board and take possession. Individual crew would then be treated in accordance with treaty obligations to their nation of citizenship.

XNN
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

US wants the tanker. Along with almost $1 million dollars.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49379144

Iran tanker: US issues warrant to seize Grace 1 supertanker

The US justice department has issued a warrant to seize a detained Iranian oil tanker, a day after a judge in Gibraltar ordered it to be released.

The Grace 1 supertanker, which is carrying 2.1m barrels of oil, was detained on 4 July on suspicion of illegally transporting oil to Syria.

A last-minute legal attempt by the US to keep the tanker detained was rejected by Gibraltar on Thursday.

Iran previously called the detention of Grace 1 an "illegal interception".

Two weeks after Grace 1 was detained, on 19 July, Iran seized the British flagged tanker Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz.

Although Iran claimed the ship had violated "international maritime rules", the seizure of Stena Impero was widely believed to be an act of retaliation.

What is the US saying?
    The warrant, issued by a US federal court in Washington on Friday, is addressed to "the United States Marshals Service and/or any other duly authorized law enforcement officer".

It called for the tanker and the oil on board to be seized. It has also ordered the seizure of $995,000 (£818,000) from an account at an unnamed US bank linked to Paradise Global Trading LLC, an Iranian company.

The justice department said the ship and the firm had been involved in violations of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, bank fraud, money laundering and terrorism forfeiture statutes.

"A network of front companies allegedly laundered millions of dollars in support of such shipments," federal prosecutor Jessie Liu said.

She added the parties involved were linked with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which the US regards as a foreign terrorist organisation.

Although the warrant orders "any" law enforcement officer to seize the tanker and its cargo, it is unlikely to result in any action by the UK or Gibraltarian authorities, according to Prof Fawaz Gerges, a professor of Middle Eastern politics and international relations at LSE.

He said: "It would take a great deal of arm-twisting [by the US] to really persuade another Gibraltarian court to take the tanker back."
    More at link.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    More at link.

The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    Linking global/national news media sources rather than source documents is a big reason why quality has dropped. It used to be that intelligent posters at RPF could base their comments on those rather than spinning vignettes of journalism majors.

DC District Court Filing (PDF warning)
    https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-re...96361/download

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The section cited by the SOS in the Immigration and Nationality Act only applies to aliens, not citizens. If DOS was interested in going after citizens they would revoking USCG mariner credentials.

XNN

US warns Greece over inbound Iranian VLCC
    https://splash247.com/us-warns-greec...-iranian-vlcc/
    The United States yesterday warned Greek and other Mediterranean ports that providing assistance to the ship would be interpreted as providing material support to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), which Washington considers a foreign terrorist organisation. Facilitating the tanker carries potential immigration and criminal consequences, a US State Department official warned.
    XNN

Iranian oil tanker pursued by US changes destination to Turkey
    https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/ne...tion-to-turkey

Mersin is some 200 kilometers northwest of a refinery in Baniyas, Syria, where UK authorities alleged the Adrian Darya had been heading before they seized it off the British territory of Gibraltar in early July.
    Mersin is an overnight run from Baniyas. I wonder who will blink.

XNN

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Getting closer. I also took a look at Marine Traffic and the ship has zeroed out its destination.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ira...arya-1.5261022

Many experts suspect the ship's plan is to meet up with an empty Iranian tanker and off-load enough of its cargo at sea in a ship-to-ship transfer in order to allow it to have a small enough draught to pass through the Suez. Plus, spreading the cargo of crude across two ships increases the odds of some of it making it to its final destination. This is exactly what Beleris thinks will happen.

"Realistically, there's two choices," he said in an interview. "Either off-load it somewhere onshore in Turkey or Syria, or put part of the cargo into another tanker, and perhaps both of them will deliver it." Failing that, both tankers will likely try to cross through the neutral waters of the Suez back to Iran and come up with another plan. "Because nobody else is taking Iranian crude," he says.
    XNN

Iranian oil tanker Adrian Darya 1, which has been traveling in the Mediterranean since Gibraltar released it two weeks ago, appears to have reversed course away from Turkey and is now heading westward, RFE/RL reported on Thursday, citing data from ship-tracking website MarineTraffic.

More at: https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...om-Turkey.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

//

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Turkey said on Friday that an Iranian oil tanker at the centre of a confrontation between Washington and Tehran was headed to Lebanon's waters, but the United States later said the ship was sailing to Syria.According to Refinitiv tracking data, the Adrian Darya, formerly called Grace 1, after changing course several times headed on Friday for Turkey's Iskenderun port, 200 km (124 miles) north of Syria's Baniyas refinery, the tanker's suspected original destination.
    When the ship was released off Gibraltar in mid-August after a five-week standoff, Iran assured Britain that the cargo was not headed to Syria.
    The latest twist sets it in the direction of Syria, and raises the possibility that a ship-to-ship transfer of cargo may be attempted once it nears Lebanon's coast.
    U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a tweet late on Friday: "We have reliable information that the tanker is underway and headed to Tartus, Syria."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/1-confusion-t...112514222.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Turkey said on Friday that an Iranian oil tanker at the centre of a confrontation between Washington and Tehran was headed to Lebanon's waters, but the United States later said the ship was sailing to Syria.According to Refinitiv tracking data, the Adrian Darya, formerly called Grace 1, after changing course several times headed on Friday for Turkey's Iskenderun port, 200 km (124 miles) north of Syria's Baniyas refinery, the tanker's suspected original destination.
    When the ship was released off Gibraltar in mid-August after a five-week standoff, Iran assured Britain that the cargo was not headed to Syria.
    The latest twist sets it in the direction of Syria, and raises the possibility that a ship-to-ship transfer of cargo may be attempted once it nears Lebanon's coast.
    U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a tweet late on Friday: "We have reliable information that the tanker is underway and headed to Tartus, Syria."

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/1-confusion-t...112514222.html
    That's a lot of suspicions. Are they justified? Is our government a bit paranoid?

Boring holes in the oceans doing 5 kts circles of the Karpas Peninsula of Cyprus this afternoon (per Marine Link.)

XNN

NY Times. Take it with grain of salt.

Iranian Oil Tanker Pursued by US Off the Coast of Syria
    https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...-tensions.html

The ship-tracking website MarineTraffic.com showed the Adrian Darya slowed to a near-stop on Sunday some 50 nautical miles (92 kilometers) off Syria. The ship's Automatic Identification System does not show its destination after its mariners onboard previously listed it as ports in Greece and Turkey. Turkey's foreign minister at one point suggested it would go to Lebanon, something denied by a Lebanese official.
    XNN

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Iranian oil tanker Adrian Darya 1, which the U.S. blacklisted this weekend, went dark on Monday while in the Mediterranean offshore Syria, ship-tracking data shows, suggesting that the tanker may be now in Syrian waters.
    The Iranian tanker has not sent signal since 15:53 GMT on Monday, according to Refinitiv ship tracking data cited by Reuters.
    Over the weekend, tanker-tracking service providers said that Adrian Darya 1, formerly Grace 1, was near Syria, possibly for a ship-to-ship oil transfer.
    According to TankerTrackers.com, the Adrian Darya 1 on Sunday stopped in the international waters between Syria and Cyprus, supporting its report with a satellite image of the vessel. TankerTrackers also said two other vessels—Suezmax tankers—were in the vicinity and one more Suezmax was en route there. These would probably be used to unload the cargo of the Adrian Darya 1 and deliver it to Syria.
    On Tuesday, TankerTrackers.com said that “It’s been over 12 hours since #AdrianDarya1 was last transmitting her position. It is now safe to assume she is in Syria’s territorial waters.”

More at: https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...ore-Syria.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The now notorious Iranian oil tanker Adrian Darya 1 has offloaded its crude oil cargo to a port in Syria, Middle East Eye reported on Friday, quoting two sources.
    A total of 55 percent of the tanker’s crude oil cargo of 2.1 million barrels had been unloaded by late in the evening on Thursday, one of the sources told Middle East Eye.

More at: https://oilprice.com/Geopolitics/Mid...rian-Port.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49619152

Iran tanker row: Released ship wanted by US 'seen off Syria'

The Iranian oil tanker at the centre of an international incident has been sailing just off the Syrian coast, satellite images appear to show.

The Adrian Darya-1 was seized by Gibraltar in July with the aid of British forces over fears it was bound for Syria, violating EU sanctions.

It was eventually released after assurances were given that it would not head for the war-ravaged country.

But images released on Saturday seemed to show it two nautical miles offshore.

The images, from US company Maxar Technologies, appeared to place the tanker very close to the Syrian port of Tartus on 6 September.

US National Security Adviser John Bolton tweeted that anyone who believed the ship was no longer headed for Syria was "in denial".

"Tehran thinks it's more important to fund the murderous Assad regime than provide for its own people," he said, alongside another satellite picture. "We can talk, but #Iran's not getting any sanctions relief until it stops lying and spreading terror!"

There is however no confirmation that the ship is unloading its cargo of 2.1 million barrels of Iranian crude oil.

Neither Iran nor Syria have commented.

The ship, originally known as Grace 1 when it was detained off the British territory in July, has caused a major diplomatic spat between Washington and Tehran.

British marines had helped Gibraltar authorities detain the vessel, partly drawing the UK into the row.

The United States made an official request to seize the ship in August, but the courts in Gibraltar denied it.

The US last year withdrew from the international 2015 deal to limit Iran's nuclear programme, and reinstated sanctions. In response, Iran stopped abiding by some commitments in the deal.

The EU has sought to salvage the accord but the Iranian tanker was seized because it was suspected of heading to Syria, which would breach EU sanctions on that country.

The Gibraltar authorities freed the vessel on 15 August after receiving assurances from Iran that it would not discharge its cargo in Syria.

The US has been seeking to seize the tanker since it was released by Gibraltar. It issued a warrant and blacklisted the vessel, threatening sanctions on any country which offered it aid. The ship has since been sailing east across the Mediterranean.

Earlier this week it was revealed that a US official had even offered the captain of the ship millions of dollars to change course and sail the tanker to somewhere the US might be able to seize it.

A British-flagged tanker was seized by Iran in July, in what was widely seen as retaliation for Britain's role in helping to seize the Iranian vessel - a link Tehran denies.

The Stena Impero was passing through the Strait of Hormuz when it was seized. It remains in the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas.

Why hasn't the US seized this tanker yet? Trump has every right to do so to prevent Iran's terrorist network from expanding. Why aren't our NATO allies supporting us in this?