Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump Jr. is Advising His Father to Stand Against Gun Control

Trump Jr. is Advising His Father to Stand Against Gun Control

Count Donald Trump Jr. as someone who’s skeptical of passing gun control after recent shootings in Dayton, Ohio and El Paso, Texas.
    Rebecca Ballhaus, Andrew Restuccia, and Natalie Andrews wrote at The Wall Street Journal about Trump Jr.’s concerns with certain gun control proposals such as red flag gun confiscation orders and expanded background checks.
    They wrote:
    Donald Trump Jr., the president’s son who often speaks with his father about his views on gun laws, has raised concerns about both red-flag legislation and about tightening background checks, according to people familiar with the matter.

BLP reported on how Trump Jr. has been a strong advocate for accessory deregulation, especially in the case of firearms suppressors. His influence was rather strong from 2017 to 2018, when Republicans had control of all branches of government and were poised to pass one of the most comprehensive firearms accessory deregulation reforms in American history.
    However, this attempt was ultimately capsized after the Las Vegas shooting of 2017. Nonetheless, Trump Jr. has indirectly held a strong pro-gun presence throughout the Trump administration.
    Even his father recognizes this. President Trump told supporters at a fundraiser last Friday in N.Y that “Don Jr. is my gun expert. He knows more about guns than anyone I know.”

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/hope-t...t-gun-control/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jr is really a big deal and has been showing lot of leadership potential, could be on GOP-Adelson's 2024 ticket.
    Not sure why MAGA is not exposing him more in politics and cabinet meetings (instead of Ivanka who had done fund raiser of liberal progresssive Dem Cory Booker and allegedly advised MAGA to bomb Syria).

Related

Donald Trump Jr.‏ Verified account @DonaldJTrumpJr
    This is a really big deal and with @Richardgrenell at the helm it will get done!!! Trump administration launches global effort to end criminalization of homosexuality
    https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1097941928128204801

Donald Trump carried out Syria missile strike ‘after being convinced by daughter Ivanka’

What if all of this was a setup to make Don Jr. the hero to get him ready for 2024?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump Sr better listen to his son on this. Otherwise hes going to regret it.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    What if all of this was a setup to make Don Jr. the hero to get him ready for 2024?
    Then it's a fantastically foolish, dangerously cavalier and just plain goddam stupid way to go about it.

But I'm not seeing any (non-fantasy) reason to think that Junior gives a damn about guns - except insofar as he may be afraid that Daddy is in the process of shooting his re-election chances in the foot ...

EDIT: And sure enough, the OP article only seems to confirm my take:
    Iowa radio host Steave Deace also chimed in saying, “When you’re president because of a grand total of less than 78,000 votes spread out over three states, you don’t have to alienate too much of your base on an issue they care about to lose.”
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-15-2019 at 08:20 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

And another thing ...

[Junior's] influence was rather strong from 2017 to 2018, when Republicans had control of all branches of government and were poised to pass one of the most comprehensive firearms accessory deregulation reforms in American history.
    So riddle me this: if the Republicans "had control of all branches of government," then how and why was the "strong influence" of the Republican President's son useful (or even needed, for that matter)? Unless ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-15-2019 at 08:30 AM.

How does that blogger make the leap from a couple of journalists claiming that Jr. raised concerns about red flag laws to saying that he's advising his father to stand against gun control?

And for Sr. to say that Jr., who has no background at all in this issue, is his gun expert, and he doesn't even know anybody who knows more about guns than Jr. does, well that sure doesn't engender confidence in Sr. having very much access to decent pro-gun-rights advisers.

The TDS is just out of control here.

All of what was a setup?

I do find some humor in the prospect of a Don Jr. vs. Gavin Newsom contest. Kimberly Guilfoyle could moderate.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Then it's a fantastically foolish, dangerously cavalier and just plain goddam stupid way to go about it.

But I'm not seeing any (non-fantasy) reason to think that Junior gives a damn about guns - except insofar as he may be afraid that Daddy is in the process of shooting his re-election chances in the foot ...

Because cash rules everything not partisanship. Thats why. The politcal parties never have control over all three branches. Most the time the majority party doesnt have that many votes over the minority party so they dont even have to buy that many politicians.

If DT folds on this issue, it’ll be checkmate alright.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Damn Swordy, it was a chess game after all!
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    If DT folds on this issue, it’ll be checkmate alright.
    Would folding be giving in to the pro-2nd Amendment crowd that's pressuring to abandon his long-held anti-2nd Amendment principles?

Or would folding be standing by his long-held anti-2nd Amendment principles?

What a bunch of absolute bull$#@!.

You know the Trumpkins are desperate when the fan fiction comes out.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Would folding be giving in to the pro-2nd Amendment crowd that's pressuring to abandon his long-held anti-2nd Amendment principles?

Or would folding be standing by his long-held anti-2nd Amendment principles?
    I choose to believe what I want to, don't you? Its not like you know the truth, unless you really are Trump or part of his brain trust.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I choose to believe what I want to
    That has long been obvious.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't you?
    No. I consider evidence.

Ofcourse its just as likely that they are telling the truth but you want to believe you own narrative. Unless you have an inside source or are Trump himself. plzbetrumphimself.
    Trump has not been shy about this. Why doesn't he himself count as an inside source?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    Trump has not been shy about this. Why doesn't he himself count as an inside source?
    So you are Trump himself? Holy $#@!! Can you tell me the meaning of life?

OK- that last one may be fantasy.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-15-2019 at 03:01 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxgHwLPUcAE8XiE.jpg:large

https://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blo...d-trump-jr.jpg

https://redditupvoted.files.wordpres...ativecrete.jpg

OK- that last one may be fantasy.
    Yeah, he's a big game hunter. So?

By itself, that does not indicate anything more than an NRA-style support for milquetoast "sporting" rights, at best.

But I am not a Great American like @TheTexan (maybe someday ...), so that is not what I meant when I said, "gives a damn about guns."

Is he a GOA member? Or does he at least support their purpose and agenda? Prior to his father's presidency, has he (1) clearly demonstrated support for gun rights on the basis of something other than "sportsmanship", or (2) expressed adamant opposition to so-called "assault weapon" bans, or (3) expressed adamant opposition to preemptive confiscation schemes like "red flag" laws, or (4) opposed firearms accessory regulations for reasons other than things like "hearing-loss prevention," or (5) anything else beyond the aforementioned NRA-style milquetoastery ... ?

ETA: If the answer to any of those questions is "yes," then I will be delighted to hear it. But in any case, the notion that Trump's gun-control shenanigans are some kind of ploy to set Junior up as a "hero" for dynastic purposes is grotesquely absurd. Even if such a fantasy were true, it would be, as I described it earlier, such an irresponsibly foolish, cavalier and stupid way of going about it that it would make Trump far more dangerous to gun rights than the most ardent and openly-avowed gun-grabbers. At least the "honest" gun-grabbers can be clearly and easily identified and fought against, and they stand little chance of duping otherwise sensible gun-rights supporters into supporting a supposedly "fake" gun-grabber today (i.e., Trump) just for the sake of perhaps being able to support a supposedly "real" gun-supporter 5 years from now (i.e., Junior) ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-15-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    All of what was a setup?

I do find some humor in the prospect of a Don Jr. vs. Gavin Newsom contest. Kimberly Guilfoyle could moderate.
    Trump AND Rand voicing support for Red Flag laws etc.

O's B is right that it would be stupid and dangerous, I have already said that about any 3D chess explanation but this could be part of 3D chess.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

By itself, that does not indicate anything more than an NRA-style support for milquetoast "sporting" rights, at best.

But I am not a Great American like @TheTexan (maybe someday ...), so that is not what I meant when I said, "gives a damn about guns."

Is he a GOA member? Or does he at least support their purpose and agenda? Prior to his father's presidency, has he (1) clearly demonstrated support for gun rights on the basis of something other than "sportsmanship", or (2) expressed adamant opposition to so-called "assault weapon" bans, or (3) expressed adamant opposition to preemptive confiscation schemes like "red flag" laws, or (4) opposed firearms accessory regulations for reasons other than things like "hearing-loss prevention," or (5) anything else beyond the aforementioned NRA-style milquetoastery ... ?
    I dunno if we are going off rhetoric has Don Jr ever voiced support for gun control or banning guns?

President Trump on Thursday told supporters in New Hampshire that he would "always uphold the Second Amendment" and suggested that the construction of new mental health facilities would help curb gun violence.
    The president lamented the lack of mental health institutions as he spoke about the need to keep guns away from people with mental illnesses. The comments come as the White House and Congress examine new gun laws after recent mass shootings in Dayton, Ohio, and El Paso, Texas.
    "It's not the gun that pulls the trigger. It's the person that pulls the trigger," Trump said, earning a roar of approval from the crowd in Manchester.
    TRUMP on guns: "It's not the gun that pulls the trigger, it's the person holding the guy."

He then says "we are going to have serious consideration to building" new mental institutions, adding, "we will be taking mentally deranged and dangerous people off of the streets." pic.twitter.com/w7cZg2wKQ7
    — Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) August 16, 2019
    He suggested that the closure of mental institutions led to an influx of sick individuals on the streets. Trump proposed building new facilities to get those individuals help, and implied that the move would assist in the fight against gun violence.

But the president, wary of upsetting his base supporters, assured the crowd that he would not allow new laws to infringe on their access to guns.
    "We can’t make it harder for good, solid, law-abiding citizens to protect themselves," he said. "We will always uphold the right to self-defense, and we will always uphold the Second Amendment."

More at: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-ongoing-talks

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Count Donald Trump Jr. as someone who’s skeptical of passing gun control after recent shootings in Dayton, Ohio and El Paso, Texas.
    Rebecca Ballhaus, Andrew Restuccia, and Natalie Andrews wrote at The Wall Street Journal about Trump Jr.’s concerns with certain gun control proposals such as red flag gun confiscation orders and expanded background checks.
    They wrote:
    Donald Trump Jr., the president’s son who often speaks with his father about his views on gun laws, has raised concerns about both red-flag legislation and about tightening background checks, according to people familiar with the matter.

BLP reported on how Trump Jr. has been a strong advocate for accessory deregulation, especially in the case of firearms suppressors. His influence was rather strong from 2017 to 2018, when Republicans had control of all branches of government and were poised to pass one of the most comprehensive firearms accessory deregulation reforms in American history.
    However, this attempt was ultimately capsized after the Las Vegas shooting of 2017. Nonetheless, Trump Jr. has indirectly held a strong pro-gun presence throughout the Trump administration.
    Even his father recognizes this. President Trump told supporters at a fundraiser last Friday in N.Y that “Don Jr. is my gun expert. He knows more about guns than anyone I know.”

More at: https://bigleaguepolitics.com/hope-t...t-gun-control/
    Thank God, because someone has to counter that idiot, Ivanka.

ETA: If the answer to any of those questions is "yes," then I will be delighted to hear it. But in any case, the notion that Trump's gun-control shenanigans are some kind of ploy to set Junior up as a "hero" for dynastic purposes is grotesquely absurd. Even if such a fantasy were true, it would be, as I described it earlier, such an irresponsibly foolish, cavalier and stupid way of going about it that it would make Trump far more dangerous to gun rights than the most ardent and openly-avowed gun-grabbers. At least the "honest" gun-grabbers can be clearly and easily identified and fought against, and they stand little chance of duping otherwise sensible gun-rights supporters into supporting a supposedly "fake" gun-grabber today (i.e., Trump) just for the sake of perhaps being able to support a supposedly "real" gun-supporter 5 years from now (i.e., Junior) ...
    I would guess that other than an NRA membership, Jr never the occasion to delve into the issue. Now that his father is president and the commies and their anti 2nd agenda is such a huge issue, in his father's life, Jr can't help but pay attention. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes people aren't spending lot of time on things that aren't right in front of them. I loather hunting (and elephants ) but I'll take what I can get with moron daughter pulling daddy in the other direction. Eric is a hunter, too, so I'm sure he's backing Jr on this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast