Thread: US teen in Ohio arrested for threats

US teen in Ohio arrested for threats

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49349793

Thought crime?

An Ohio teenager has been arrested for threatening mass violence online, targeting federal agents and Planned Parenthood, court documents said.

FBI agents raided the residence where Justin Olsen, 18, was living, and found more than a dozen rifles and about 10,000 rounds of ammunition.

"Shoot every federal agent in sight," he allegedly wrote, adding he would "stock up" on weapons in another post.

Mr Olsen said his online comments were written in jest, court documents said.

Federal authorities apprehended Mr Olsen last week, just days after the back-to-back mass shootings in Dayton, Ohio and El Paso, Texas rocked the US.

He has been charged with threatening a federal officer and is now being held in federal custody, according to the court filing.

The investigation into Mr Olsen began in February, when the FBI received a complaint about the teenager in Anchorage, Alaska, US media report. Authorities traced Mr Olsen's email address back to Boardman, Ohio, where he was living with his father.

Mr Olsen allegedly praised mass shootings, violence against Planned Parenthood clinics and the Oklahoma City bombing that killed 168 people, on the meme-hosting app iFunny.

In one post, responding to the 1993 Waco siege, a fatal standoff between religious sect the Branch Davidians and federal agents, Mr Olsen allegedly wrote, "in conclusion, shoot every federal agent on sight."

Mr Olsen told agents this post was "a hyperbolic conclusion based on the results of the Waco siege", according to the filing.

According to court documents, Mr Olsen's online account drew FBI attention for its "large increase in subscribers" from February to March of this year.

After Mr Olsen's arrest, FBI found about 300 rounds of ammunition in the stairway of his father's home, and thousands of rounds of additional ammunition, camouflage clothing and a gun vault in a bedroom. Investigators found a machete in the trunk of his car.

It is unclear how much of the weapons and supplies found in the residence could have been accessed by Mr Olsen, and how much belonged to his father.

Mr Olsen is expected back in court on 16 August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In this day and age it is very stupid to be broadcasting online threats of violence while stockpiling weapons if your intent is to just exercise your right to own weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    In this day and age it is very stupid to be broadcasting online threats of violence while stockpiling weapons if your intent is to just exercise your right to own weapons.
    The police admit they don't know if guns in the home were his or his father's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

My guess is this guy is in trouble. Words are mightier than the sword.

The youth of today just isn't right.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?