Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stop! You Need a License To Do that Job!

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    If the government took over all shopping malls today. Then in 5 years when somebody on this website advocated repealing that law, people like Krugminator2 would show up complaining about how they want to get rid of all shopping malls.
    No I don't think so.

But good work ripping off the line of a third rate economist and making it your own though.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    No I don't think so.

But good work ripping off the line of a third rate economist and making it your own though.
    I did hear that somewhere before. But I forget who from. Who's the third rate economist?

I did hear that somewhere before. But I forget who from. Who's the third rate economist?
    Rothbard said it about shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    No. I am not anti-government. I don't see government as a regime. I am thankful I live in a relatively free society. America is a great place. I don't want the jungle rule that you would like to live in. You might not have a government. But you would also have no freedom.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iuUMIVB5E4.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	6937

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is poppycock. If the government can do it, then it could be done better, cheaper, and with fewer negative side effects in a private system. The possibility of competing products only makes it better, not worse.
    That's the hidden catch though. It can't be privatized because the car itself is owned by the state government via the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, which no "car buyer" ever sees. It is the true title document. People receive what's called a "color of title" from the DMV. A license plate/registration is for tracking the location of the state's property. This is what gives the police the ability to enforce motor vehicle codes against the vehicle, such as impoundment. It is the state's property so they can take it back whenever they determine that a rule governing use of its property has been violated.
    Last edited by devil21; 08-15-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    I wouldn't be. Not one bit.
    It is what it is for now. The people of this state voted for this. It's not restrictive, the Support badge is only $75/ 2 years, I only have a Key badge(250) because of my specific job. You both must've missed the "kinda alright with that" part, I'm not super thrilled giving the state any of my money, let alone ask permission to work with a plant.

If I came and threatened you with deadly force demanding that you pay me that same tax, would you also be alright with that?
    If you came and threatened me with deadly force, I'd respond in kind.

But the thing is, I wasn't threatened here in any way-I don't have to work in this industry, and I don't see how your scenario applies here. The people in the state voted for these things in 2012 when we legalized, these aren't just regulations the government is imposing on people willy nilly. In fact, most people who hold badges in this state, don't even work in the industry full time.

So - I could be "not ok" with it and give up my contracts to go be miserable elsewhere on principal, or, I can pay the meager licensing fee and make nearly six figures living rent free doing almost nothing at all monitoring surveillance cameras all night long.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieInColorado View Post
    If you came and threatened me with deadly force, I'd respond in kind.

But the thing is, I wasn't threatened here in any way-I don't have to work in this industry, and I don't see how your scenario applies here.
    Let me qualify my hypothetical to make my action identical to the one the state is doing that you say you're kinda alright with. So I'm only taking this tax from you if you choose to work in that industry. You can always opt not to do that, and then you wouldn't have to pay me the tax.

Then would you be alright with it?

Let me qualify my hypothetical to make my action identical to the one the state is doing that you say you're kinda alright with. So I'm only taking this tax from you if you choose to work in that industry. You can always opt not to do that, and then you wouldn't have to pay me the tax.

Then would you be alright with it?
    What difference does it make here? Why does it matter if you replace the state with you, personally? Because that's literally all you have done in your hypothetical. Your hypothetical is never going to happen.

I already said I was fine with the licensing as it stands now in Colorado, and explained why. Ideally, none of us would have to pay anything, but this is where we're at now, and I'm kinda ok with it, because I'm happy out here and it works in it's current set up.

In ten years this $#@! will be worth what tomatoes are and there won't be anymore licensing anyway.

Fine. So let private organizations handle that in a free market where consumers can decide which private licenses they want to trust.

Government should not be involved in any way whatsoever.
    You forget to take into account human nature and the desire to "do something" in face of disaster.

That is the system that was in place in the 19th century, and led to the first federal licensing schemes, for mariners and railroad workers, after a series of high profile disasters, fires, sinkings and collisions.

See: SS Sultana
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieInColorado View Post
    What difference does it make here? Why does it matter if you replace the state with you, personally?
    No difference at all, which is the point I'm trying to make.

It would be wrong for me to do it. Therefore, it's wrong for me to delegate to the state to do on my behalf.

And it would still be wrong if I got together with a whole bunch of other people, even if there were so many of us that we could win an election with our votes, and we all pooled our collective power and did it. It would still be theft.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    That's the hidden catch though. It can't be privatized because the car itself is owned by the state government via the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, which no "car buyer" ever sees. It is the true title document. People receive what's called a "color of title" from the DMV. A license plate/registration is for tracking the location of the state's property. This is what gives the police the ability to enforce motor vehicle codes against the vehicle, such as impoundment. It is the state's property so they can take it back whenever they determine that a rule governing use of its property has been violated.
    Yerp.

Same with a "marriage license". This now means that your "marriage" is 3 people: you, your spouse & .gov. And, same when you get an SSN for your newborn- the gov now owns your child.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Yerp.

Same with a "marriage license". This now means that your "marriage" is 3 people: you, your spouse & .gov. And, same when you get an SSN for your newborn- the gov now owns your child.
    What happens if you try to opt your child out of SS? What if you tell them that is his/her decision to make when they reach adulthood?
    "The Patriarch"

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    What happens if you try to opt your child out of SS? What if you tell them that is his/her decision to make when they reach adulthood?
    Probably you'll be declared insane & your child will be taken. Best stick with home-births.
    There is no spoon.

I didn't have an SS number until I was like 12 years old, when I wanted to open my first savings account at the bank. But that was a LONG time ago.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    I didn't have an SS number until I was like 12 years old, when I wanted to open my first savings account at the bank. But that was a LONG time ago.
    I was just looking it up, there seems to be no law requiring you to do so.
    "The Patriarch"

You lose significant tax savings by being unable to claim them as a "dependent".
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Nope, there isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You forget to take into account human nature and the desire to "do something" in face of disaster.

That is the system that was in place in the 19th century, and led to the first federal licensing schemes, for mariners and railroad workers, after a series of high profile disasters, fires, sinkings and collisions.

See: SS Sultana
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DLKI4VltuE

Of course not, because it's a contract and no one can force you into a contract. People are conditioned to do all of that just "because it's what you do", usually pushed by government schools and our own brainwashed parents. I don't know how old you guys are but I didn't have the SS stuff put in front of me until I was a senior in HS, along with voter registration and other government contracts. The reason being that only an adult (18 or thereabouts) is able to enter into enforceable contracts.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

BUT:
    Newborn Seized After ‘Off-Grid’ Parents Refuse Social Security Number
    https://www.offthegridnews.com/curre...curity-number/
    There is no spoon.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    BUT:
    I figured something like this would come out, thanks.
    "The Patriarch"

One problem with the "just privatize it!"-crowd, is that people seem to automatically discount the need for a demand for the market to fill. There are a few "services" I can think of that just don't do well in a private market because there's no profit motive, but I'll give one:

Mental health.

The state of Georgia has made drastic cuts in mental health facilities and funding over the years, which you would think would signal a need for a private market to rise. Only, it hasn't. How much are each of you, personally, willing to voluntarily give to ensure that our Emergency Rooms are not full of psychiatric cases when you show up for healthcare? The people in need of psychiatric care tend to be the sort of people who can't even manage deciding whether the shoes or the socks go on first. Good luck collecting any payment for services rendered. There's no profit motive. So the state has gutted funding of it's most prominent psych hospitals and while there are still some 'private' psychiatric hospitals scattered around the state, the ones who need them the most are typically the people who don't have insurance (can't hold a job due to severe mental impairment) and there is NO market for these people. So what do we do with them?

To tie that into licensing, just how much of a "private" demand do you think there is for licensing? If you think certain licensing should be done away with, fine, but to make the argument that a private sector would do better with it is kind of silly since a private entrepreneur would be trying to figure out how to market to people to get them to spend money on a license they don't need.

Play around with it too much and you end up with the worst-case-scenario: 'private' licensing required by the force of law. Yikes.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 08-16-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    One problem with the "just privatize it!"-crowd, is that people seem to automatically discount the need for a demand for the market to fill. There are a few "services" I can think of that just don't do well in a private market because there's no profit motive, but I'll give one:

Mental health.

The state of Georgia has made drastic cuts in mental health facilities and funding over the years, which you would think would signal a need for a private market to rise. Only, it hasn't. How much are each of you, personally, willing to voluntarily give to ensure that our Emergency Rooms are not full of psychiatric cases when you show up for healthcare? The people in need of psychiatric care tend to be the sort of people who can't even manage deciding whether the shoes or the socks go on first. Good luck collecting any payment for services rendered. There's no profit motive. So the state has gutted funding of it's most prominent psych hospitals and while there are still some 'private' psychiatric hospitals scattered around the state, the ones who need them the most are typically the people who don't have insurance (can't hold a job due to severe mental impairment) and there is NO market for these people. So what do we do with them?

To tie that into licensing, just how much of a "private" demand do you think there is for licensing? If you think certain licensing should be done away with, fine, but to make the argument that a private sector would do better with it is kind of silly since a private entrepreneur would be trying to figure out how to market to people to get them to spend money on a license they don't need.
    I agree but it should be voluntary certification by the state instead of licensing.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I think there is plenty of demand in certain fields, and practically none at all in some others.

But take the fields where the demand isn't there. Then that just means that the government is forcing on us something that the public doesn't even want enough that it would willingly bear the cost of it in the marketplace if it were privatized. In these cases whose interests are being served? It's not the public. It's typically certain bigger or established players in the industry who benefit by regulations that stifle their competition.

Good gravy. You do realize that Mr. Magoo is still on the road, and that unlicensed contractors exist, and that people still have unlicensed dogs and guns? It's anarchyyyyyy!

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    A “private” board is nothing without authority. A state board is regulated by laws and ordinances. For a private board to have any relevance, it would also need to follow state laws and requirements, meaning there would be no difference whatsoever. I’d rather the board not be a private enterprise- that certainly could open the door for preventing competition or unfair practices.

You speak of government like it is an unspeakable evil. I think the current system where each state enacts its own laws and regulations on licensing is exactly what the founders would have intended. I’d agree wholeheartedly if this was the federal government overseeing each state, but it’s not. I have no problem with how the system is set up now.
    How?

BUT:
    I betcha she did sign the Certificate of Live Birth first, which legally gave them the power to take the child. If you're going to resist the Matrix for your newborn you don't sign any of their paperwork. They may still take the child at first but then when the court process unfolds there is no legal foundation for the seizure and the child returned.

Quote Originally Posted by article quote
    Where is his so-called attorney to protect his rights?
    Working for the other side since both the child's attorney and the state's attorney are both sworn to uphold the same system via their oath to the BAR. Stepping outside and defending against the BAR system itself is cause for disbarment and loss of attorney's livelihood. The origin of the word "attorney" is "attorn", which means to take something from one party and give it to another. Not much else needs to be understood in order to understand the Roman legal system that is in place.
    Last edited by devil21; 08-19-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Good gravy. You do realize that Mr. Magoo is still on the road, and that unlicensed contractors exist, and that people still have unlicensed dogs and guns? It's anarchyyyyyy!

Oh! The horror!
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123