Thread: A drive through 1940 Los Angeles

Exclamation A drive through 1940 Los Angeles

I see so much missing...

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd prefer 1940 Los Angeles than the current one.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Where are the homeless drug addicts $#@!ting in the street?
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This was before the WoD.
    There is no spoon.

Those were better times in many ways.

... nice automobiles!

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I'd prefer 1940 Los Angeles than the current one.
    I hate LA, I wouldn't have been anywhere near downtown in the 1940s either.

Probably at the beach with the 'water babies'.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I mean, they did have soldiers beating up Mexican kids because the Mexican kids dressed better than everyone else, so there's that, at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoot_Suit_Riots
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Last edited by acptulsa; 08-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Los_Angeles

Zoot Suit Riots (1943)

A series of murders that occurred on March 18, 1936 in the Los Angeles, Lincoln Heights area. An equal rights meeting led by both illegal and legalized foreign aliens, mostly Latino and Italian, were met with force by the LAPD under the order of Frank L. Shaw. Rather than disband the rally, the LAPD brutalized them, spilling blood on the streets of Griffin, Mozart, Car, and Baldwin. Thirty-three protesters were injured, nineteen dead, five LAPD officers were recorded wounded, with one dead. While many of the deaths and injuries fell onto the equal rights protesters, there was an unnamed casualty at the time in order to cover the law-breaking of the police force. Sandra Vespucci, an Italian youth living on Baldwin street at the time, was killed by a stray bullet in front of her home. Shortly after the bloodshed, many of the officers involved were forced to resign by Mayor Shaw.

Battle of Sunset Strip (1947–1956)

During the early 1930s-early 1940s, during the Prohibition Era, organized crime in Los Angeles as well as Las Vegas was ruled by Jewish-American east coast mobster Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel and Italian-American crime boss Jack Dragna, who was boss of the Los Angeles crime family, who succeeded as boss of the family after the disappearance of former Los Angeles crime boss Joseph Ardizzone in 1931.

After Siegel's murder on June 20, 1947, his lieutenant Mickey Cohen inherited Siegel's rackets, creating his own crime family and a turf war began with Jack Dragna and the Los Angeles crime family for control of Siegel's former territories and organized crime in Los Angeles in general. The war lasted nine years, with shootouts and violent confrontations occurring on a daily basis on both the Sunset Strip and Hollywood Blvd, as well as other neighborhoods and regions in Los Angeles and Los Angeles County. Many mobsters were killed during the war, particularly on Cohen's side, as well as many attempts on Cohen's life, including the bombing of Cohen's home in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles. Several Mafia families from the Midwest and East Coast backed either Cohen or Dragna. In 1956, Dragna died of a heart attack and ultimately led Cohen to win the war. Mickey Cohen himself would die from stomach cancer in 1976.

I cannot tell , is that Zeldas the apt building on 4th and Grand ? It was razed in 1954 .
    Do something Danke

You left out The Battle of Los Angeles .
    Do something Danke