Thread: Trump says he delayed tariffs because of concerns over Christmas shopping season

Thumbs up Trump says he delayed tariffs because of concerns over Christmas shopping season

Related

The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies
    The attack by Chinese spies reached almost 30 U.S. companies, including Amazon and Apple, by compromising America’s technology supply chain, according to extensive interviews with government and corporate sources.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-top-companies

Latest:

US delays China tariffs for some items including cellphones, removing other products from list

Published 4 hours agoUpdated an hour ago
    Maggie Fitzgerald

Key Points

• The United States Trade Representative office cuts items from the list of Chinese-made products that had faced new tariffs next month.
    • It cited factors including health, safety and national security concerns.
    • The USTR also announces a delay of tariffs on electronics including cellphones, laptops and video game consoles and some clothing products until Dec. 15.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/13/ustr...-security.html

Trump says he delayed tariffs because of concerns over Christmas shopping season

Published 2 hours agoUpdated 10 min ago
    Kevin Breuninger

Key Points

• President Trump says he is delaying some tariffs on Chinese imports ahead of the Christmas season.
    • “We’re doing this for the Christmas season,” Trump says, “just in case some of the tariffs would have an impact on U.S. customers.”
    • The Trump administration announced hours earlier that it would delay until Dec. 15 some of the tariffs that were originally scheduled to come into effect Sept. 1.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/13/trum...ng-season.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, and we all know nowadays stores are ready for Christmas no later than October 1.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...hinese-imports

It cited factors including health, safety and national security concerns.

I am already done Christmas shopping . No tax , no tariff , no imports .
    Last edited by oyarde; 08-13-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    Do something Danke

Very tuff
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Trump knows what he is doing and he is winning.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

So the tarrifs were needed and must be enacted witgout congress due to an existential national securirty threat .... but we can delay them cus he dosen't want to be the grinch who ruins christmas.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    So the tarrifs were needed and must be enacted witgout congress due to an existential national securirty threat .... but we can delay them cus he dosen't want to be the grinch who ruins christmas.
    He must keep from harming our economy while defending it against China's attacks.

If this was a regular war he would need to decide when to time an invasion of the enemy too.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He must keep from harming our economy while defending it against China's attacks.

If this was a regular war he would need to decide when to time an invasion of the enemy too.
    Guess I should take the concession that tarrifs harm the American economy when I get it.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Guess I should take the concession that tarrifs harm the American economy when I get it.
    If they were done wrong they could do short term damage but the enemy trade warfare is doing much more long term damage.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This move is an admission on Trump's part that his tariffs are taxes on Americans, and not just other countries.

If he delayed tariffs for fear of hurting this consumption economy then that seems like an admission that his plan sucks balls.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

But not quite yet because
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

In the mindset of tariff defenders, it would hurt our economy and help China's if China literally sent us free stuff at the expense of its own people, because that would cost us the jobs of Americans who would otherwise make that stuff and sell it to one another. So we have to hurt ourselves in order to hurt China because by hurting China we help ourselves.

Tariffs aren't harming the US but he is delaying them because they will harm the US. Flip Flopper in Chief at it again. The US is making, er, paying, $billions in tariffs.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Orange man bad............................................... ........................

at trade wars. The Chinese called his bluff and he backed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Tariffs aren't harming the US but he is delaying them because they will harm the US. Flip Flopper in Chief at it again. The US is making, er, paying, $billions in tariffs.
    He believes the chinese are the ones paying the tariffs. @dannno believes he has and IQ of 130+

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Orange man bad............................................... ........................

at trade wars. The Chinese called his bluff and he backed down.
    "Trade wars are good- and easy to win"- Donald J. Trump

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-14-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    This move is an admission on Trump's part that his tariffs are taxes on Americans, and not just other countries.
    Pretty much they are taxes. He just wont admit it. He knows he cant start a war over HK or punish China to heavily or that would also hurt America's economy as America's economy is depended on China's labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    In the mindset of tariff defenders, it would hurt our economy and help China's if China literally sent us free stuff at the expense of its own people, because that would cost us the jobs of Americans who would otherwise make that stuff and sell it to one another. So we have to hurt ourselves in order to hurt China because by hurting China we help ourselves.
    Does welfare help the slums?

African Americans have been destroyed by welfare and the same thing was happening to all of America.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump is winning and America is winning.

Fine tuning or negotiation are not backing down.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment