Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump acts to regulate social media!

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It's not more power, they blatantly censor anyone they want.
    Of course it is!!! They will do it LEGALLY now and will also be able to kick your door in. Henry Kissinger must be proud as $#@!

Trump’s personality ‘unprecedented’, vision of new world order yet to be seen – Kissinger
    Published time: 12 Dec, 2016 00:39
    Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by showpan View Post
    Of course it is!!! They will do it LEGALLY now and will also be able to kick your door in. Henry Kissinger must be proud as $#@!

Trump’s personality ‘unprecedented’, vision of new world order yet to be seen – Kissinger
    Published time: 12 Dec, 2016 00:39
    It's legal right now and they get to pretend to be private companies so your recourse is limited or nonexistent.
    This will not let them do anymore door kicking than they might already do.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

If the FCC censors you they can be sued on 1stA grounds.
    So....the ones who make up the rules and say what can be censored and what can't are the ones who will be sued for censorship.....OMFG! Also, who owns google, you tube, FB, MSM. You really think they care about you and your opinion. Google will continue to make sure you only see what they want you to see just as FB does. They will simply do it under FCC guidance now instead of the FBI's...lol...we certainly don't want anymore embarrassing whistle blowers coming forward
    Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    Thomas Jefferson

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's legal right now and they get to pretend to be private companies so your recourse is limited or nonexistent.
    This will not let them do anymore door kicking than they might already do.
    Seems to me the game has been stepped up a bit in the last couple of days

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ez/1975362001/

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...233747892.html

https://www.foxnews.com/us/man-arres...rican-festival

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...513528341.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1O-BdbCgy0
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Strong deal making skills!

However this does not mean MAGA is a puppet of globalist neocons.

Haha....okay
    Thomas Jefferson

This is ridiculous. The Supreme's have ruled that FB, Twitter etc. are akin to the public square so they can't ban or shadow ban as it is a violation of our rights.

So the president is acting. The Executive branch has the responsibility to act. The rules will be limited in scope I suspect and can be challenged in the courts... It's not like facebook or twitter are short of a few bucks to challenge anything in court but good luck challenging the bans because the Supreme's have ruled 9-0 that the internet is a public square, not private property.

Does that make sense to you showpan?

And that's before the EO.

This EO doesn't give them anymore power and strips the government sockpuppet cartel of some power.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    This is ridiculous. The Supreme's have ruled that FB, Twitter etc. are akin to the public square so they can't ban or shadow ban as it is a violation of our rights.

So the president is acting. The Executive branch has the responsibility to act. The rules will be limited in scope I suspect and can be challenged in the courts... It's not like facebook or twitter are short of a few bucks to challenge anything in court but good luck challenging the bans because the Supreme's have ruled 9-0 that the internet is a public square, not private property.

Does that make sense to you showpan?
    Don't mind him, he is just going to continue to ROLCON.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And that's before the EO.

This EO doesn't give them anymore power and strips the government sockpuppet cartel of some power.
    A copy of his draft 47 U.S. Code § 230. Protection for private blocking and screening of offensive material The title alone should say it all...lol

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/230

Trump on EO's...lol

Jan. 26, 2016: “We have a president that can't get anything done so he just keeps signing executive orders all over the place.”

Jan. 26, 2016: “I hate what Obama does with gun legislation. He doesn't talk to anybody. He goes out and signs executive orders. In theory you're supposed to the old fashioned way, get everybody into a room and get something people agree on.”

Dec. 12, 2015: “I don't think [Obama] even tries anymore. I think he just signs executive actions.”

Nov. 10, 2015: “Nobody wants to listen to [Obama], including the Democrats, so he just goes around signing executive orders.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by showpan View Post
    A copy of his draft 47 U.S. Code § 230. Protection for private blocking and screening of offensive material The title alone should say it all...lol

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/230

Trump on EO's...lol

Jan. 26, 2016: “We have a president that can't get anything done so he just keeps signing executive orders all over the place.”

Jan. 26, 2016: “I hate what Obama does with gun legislation. He doesn't talk to anybody. He goes out and signs executive orders. In theory you're supposed to the old fashioned way, get everybody into a room and get something people agree on.”

Dec. 12, 2015: “I don't think [Obama] even tries anymore. I think he just signs executive actions.”

Nov. 10, 2015: “Nobody wants to listen to [Obama], including the Democrats, so he just goes around signing executive orders.”
    That's not a draft of Trump's EO:

(a) FindingsThe Congress finds the following:
    EOs have their proper place enforcing the law, we will see if this one exceeds an EO's proper function.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I lack no understanding. I just think it CAN get worse that it has been. When the other side takes power next time, all new powers will be in their hands and they will use them.
    The other side created this problem already though. This is just an attempt to correct what tbey did using government power. If the left can give tbemselves an unfair advantage when they are in power but we can't correct it than they have already won thats checkmate for them i guess they get to eat us now???

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's not a draft of Trump's EO:

EOs have their proper place enforcing the law, we will see if this one exceeds an EO's proper function.

Oops, your right, They didn't post the leaked draft.

I can't find it either. Just a page from fake CNN...lol

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/09/tech/...ftc/index.html
    Last edited by showpan; 08-12-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    Thomas Jefferson

If you think about social media as being able to hold up a sign in public, then apply the one sided enforcement of rules, censorship, algorithms. You will see that the big platforms are violating free speech.

Its just surprising nobody is suing over this yet, maybe its because people can't sue these big tech companies because they're protected as platforms and not publishers. That is the proper way to get this done. There needs to be some precedent here. Although a court case will be drawn out way beyond 2020, after the damage has already been done.

Has Trump done the right thing in this context? RPF seems mixed.
    Last edited by eleganz; 08-12-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    If you think about social media as being able to hold up a sign in public, then apply the one sided enforcement of rules, censorship, algorithms. You will see that the big platforms are violating free speech.

Its just surprising nobody is suing over this yet, maybe its because people can't sue these big tech companies because they're protected as platforms and not publishers. That is the proper way to get this done. There needs to be some precedent here. Although a court case will be drawn out way beyond 2020, after the damage has already been done.

Has Trump done the right thing in this context? RPF seems mixed.
    Let a bunch of unelected bureaucrats get nominated by the democrats that will influence the next 100 years of American politics or try to undo the social media monopoly that they created with government regulation and tax dollars that the left uses to brainwash people and censor people they don't like. They have already proven they will do whatever it takes to win, like attack people at their jobs and get them fired, and instigate mass shootings by provoking hatred and racial tensions so they can mind control people. The funniest thing I have seen so far is CNN putting Cory Booker in blackface, seems like the MFDNC really want to put him on the ticket to get black people to show up to vote. I even predicted they would pick him for the nominee before the election season started, he seemed like the most corrupt person who announced they were running.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    So, granting the FCC sweeping new powers over a whole new area of communications is now somehow a GOOD thing?
    Some people think the way to keep the frog from boiling is to add more water to the pot.

But it doesn't matter. It's already too late. The frog is dead.

All this brouhaha is just over whether some FCC-flavored spices should be sprinkled over the legs, now that they're on the plate ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-13-2019 at 03:20 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Hey, he's got his pen and his phone! This is the guy who is supposed to be "cutting regulations", yet here are the trumpettes and shylls cheering for more regulations via EO. Nah, there couldn't be a hidden agenda behind this, never.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...nced-dangerous
    leaked documents show that the Trump administration is drafting an executive order that, if upheld by the courts, could essentially end free speech on the Internet. The draft order would put the FTC and the FCC, headed by its notoriously corrupt chairman Ajit Pai, in charge of monitoring and policing online speech on social media platforms, online forums, and more.

It would give these bureaucratic government agencies unprecedented control over how Internet platforms moderate speech by allowing them to revoke the essential protections Congress laid out in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (CDA). CDA 230 is the basic law that makes it possible for online platforms to let users post our own content, and to make basic decisions about what types of content they as private entities want to host. Every meme, every social media post, every blog and user-created video on the Internet has been made possible by this crucial free speech protection.

In practice, this executive order would mean that whichever political party is in power could dictate what speech is allowed on the Internet. If the government doesn't like the way a private company is moderating content, they can shut their entire website down.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Hey, he's got his pen and his phone! This is the guy who is supposed to be "cutting regulations", yet here are the trumpettes and shylls cheering for more regulations via EO. Nah, there couldn't be a hidden agenda behind this, never.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...nced-dangerous
    don't go crying when the democrats win the house and senate and presidency and nominate all the lifelong supreme court judges and take away gun rights and private medicine if we can't fix the censorship because of the social media monopolies that Obama created with regulation and tax dollars while getting the legal protections of a platform even though they operate as a publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    don't go crying when the democrats win the house and senate and presidency and nominate all the lifelong supreme court judges and take away gun rights and private medicine if we can't fix the censorship because of the social media monopolies that Obama created with regulation and tax dollars while getting the legal protections of a platform even though they operate as a publisher.
    I wouldn't disagree with changing the legal definitions of platform and publisher, if properly done through Congress, and makes it harder for both big tech AND government to censor internet content. But this is more trump=obomba ruling by EO authoritarianism.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

I wouldn't disagree with changing the legal definitions of platform and publisher, if properly done through Congress, and makes it harder for both big tech AND government to censor internet content. But this is more trump=obomba ruling by EO authoritarianism.
    The left wouldn't do it though they wouldn't take away their advantage of being able to control all the information people get to see. Its how they won back the House in the first place and you expect them to fix it?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The left wouldn't do it though they wouldn't take away their advantage of being able to control all the information people get to see. Its how they won back the House in the first place and you expect them to fix it?
    I don't expect government to fix anything, only to make existing problems worse. Worse still, is an authoritarian President ruling by EO.

I don't expect government to fix anything, only to make existing problems worse. Worse still, is an authoritarian President ruling by EO.
    His EO to reduce regulation wasn't so bad was it? EO's aren't all terrible, Obama just made terrible ones like giving people citizenship by EO

If the left gets to use EOs when they are in power but we can't use them because its unprincipled than we won't really have anything left worth protecting after the left destroys the country and its freedoms.

It would give these bureaucratic government agencies unprecedented control over how Internet platforms moderate speech by allowing them to revoke the essential protections Congress laid out in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (CDA). CDA 230 is the basic law that makes it possible for online platforms to let users post our own content, and to make basic decisions about what types of content they as private entities want to host. Every meme, every social media post, every blog and user-created video on the Internet has been made possible by this crucial free speech protection.
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to call "bull$#@!!" on the notion that free speech on the Internet was "made possible" by the CDA.

In fact, just the opposite is the case.

By asserting the federal government's supposed authority to magnanimously "allow" this, that or the other content on the Internet, the CDA laid the groundwork for whatever Internet-regulating Executive Orders the current or future Presidents might see fit to crank out ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to call "bull$#@!!" on the notion that free speech on the Internet was "made possible" by the CDA.

In fact, just the opposite is the case.

By asserting the federal government's supposed authority to magnanimously "allow" this, that or the other content on the Internet, the CDA laid the groundwork for whatever Internet-regulating Executive Orders the current or future Presidents might see fit to crank out ...
    The government created the tech companies that control our lives through regulations. Just taking away regulations wouldn't get rid of the control though. Most people don't even know that they are being mind controlled by something they are addicted to.

The government created the tech companies that control our lives through regulations.
    Problem: "The government created the tech companies that control our lives through regulations."

Solution: More regulations from the very same government that "created the tech companies that control our lives through regulations" ...

Just taking away regulations wouldn't get rid of the control though.
    Neither will adding new ones.

Most people don't even know that they are being mind controlled by something they are addicted to.
    Needs more "It's for the children ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Problem: "The government created the tech companies that control our lives through regulations."

Solution: More regulations from the very same government that "created the tech companies that control our lives through regulations" ...

Neither will adding new ones.

Needs more "It's for the children ..."
    They control all of their minds, you can't red pill someone to leave the matrix when they are mind controlled to want the blue pill. What you are saying is because they already control us we should just let them eat us. People are shutting down and stop using social media entirely, which means that they don't even have the ability to communicate and propagate ideas. The brain gets slower when its not used, especially the language part of the brain. Whats your solution if we can't try to get people equal access to assmble and communicate with eachother? What's your solution to this problem than since I bet its not breaking up the social media companies that have a monopoly on influence and communication?

They control all of their minds, you can't red pill someone to leave the matrix when they are mind controlled to want the blue pill. What you are saying is because they already control us we should just let them eat us. People are shutting down and stop using social media entirely, which means that they don't even have the ability to communicate and propagate ideas. The brain gets slower when its not used, especially the language part of the brain. Whats your solution if we can't try to get people equal access to assmble and communicate with eachother? What's your solution to this problem than since I bet its not breaking up the social media companies that have a monopoly on influence and communication?

Work LOCALLY, where it matters?

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Work LOCALLY, where it matters?
    So they can undo all of my work using AI and mass communications? You know what happened to all the people working grass roots political organizations after radio became popular right?

They control all of their minds, you can't red pill someone to leave the matrix when they are mind controlled to want the blue pill. What you are saying is because they already control us we should just let them eat us. People are shutting down and stop using social media entirely, which means that they don't even have the ability to communicate and propagate ideas. The brain gets slower when its not used, especially the language part of the brain.
    You can always tell the uncontrolled free-thinkers by their use of cliched metaphors from twenty-year old movies produced by the same mind-controlling system they're complaining about ...

Whats your solution if we can't try to get people equal access to assmble and communicate with eachother? What's your solution to this problem than since I bet its not breaking up the social media companies that have a monopoly on influence and communication?
    You are unable to see the "solution" because there isn't one.

Our culture and society have become so thoroughly addled by rampant statism that there are no longer any "solutions."

There are only groups of autistic screechers, screeching autistically about how they should be the ones doing the controlling ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-13-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast