Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does Dicks Sporting Goods Not Consider This An Assault Rifle?

Why does Dicks Sporting Goods Not Consider This An Assault Rifle?

So...after the Parkland shooting, Dick's Sporting Goods announced it would no longer carry assault style weapons. (I.e. AR-15). But it still carries this semi-automatic 22 LR "Ruger Precision Rimfire."

I'm not a "gun enthusiast" so I don't know the difference. I know they advertise that it's for "hunting small game", but I see no reason why it couldn't kill a person. And I have learned enough to know that AR15's can take 22 LR. Isn't the 22 LR the most common bullet used by the military? What am I missing?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looks
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    So...after the Parkland shooting, Dick's Sporting Goods announced it would no longer carry assault style weapons. (I.e. AR-15). But it still carries this semi-automatic 22 LR "Ruger Precision Rimfire."

I'm not a "gun enthusiast" so I don't know the difference. I know they advertise that it's for "hunting small game", but I see no reason why it couldn't kill a person. And I have learned enough to know that AR15's can take 22 LR. Isn't the 22 LR the most common bullet used by the military? What am I missing?
    No the military doesn't use the 22LR, they use .223 in the M16. They are similar in diameter but not much else.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...d-a-223-bullet
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

.22 LR is one of the most common (maybe most common) used rifle round.
    (But as Cleaner said, not by the military.)

The rifle in the picture sure looks like a bolt action rifle and not a semiautomatic.

Oh vey. Where to start?

There are rifles that look like an AR-15 that can take a .22 LR, but they would not be able to take the standard, far more powerful .223. There may be a slight difference in mechanics, as the .22 LR is a rimfire cartridge while most rifle bullets are centerfire.

Not sure what that Ruger rifle is that you posted a picture of, but it appears to be a bolt action rifle, which means that it is not a semi-automatic.

[Edit] Is that a rifle meant for biathlon?
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 08-10-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    The rifle in the picture sure looks like a bolt action rifle and not a semiautomatic.
    Beat me to it!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    No the military doesn't use the 22LR, they use .223 in the M16. They are similar in diameter but not much else.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...d-a-223-bullet
    Nit pick point of order.

The standard military round is the 5.56 mm NATO.

It is almost exactly the same as a .223 Remington, but there are some subtle, but crucial differences, mostly in case pressure and how it is distributed.

tl;dr - you can safely fire a .223 Remington in any weapon built for the 5.56 NATO round, but not the other way around.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Nit pick point of order.

The standard military round is the 5.56 mm NATO.

It is almost exactly the same as a .223 Remington, but there are some subtle, but crucial differences, mostly in case pressure and how it is distributed.

tl;dr - you can safely fire a .223 Remington in any weapon built for the 5.56 NATO round, but not the other way around.
    True. That is why I like the RUGER® AR-556®, which I found on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

That's a shame that they went this route. I know a few people who before going shopping at a sporting goods store would check out Dicks online. Not me, though.

True. That is why I like the RUGER® AR-556®, which I found on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse.
    That is a nice rifle, no doubt, congrats.

I just never have been a fan of the Stoner action, or a battle rifle in .22 caliber.

This is my "go to" rifle, I own a few of these now, in different configurations:

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Oh vey. Where to start?

There are rifles that look like an AR-15 that can take a .22 LR, but they would not be able to take the standard, far more powerful .223. There may be a slight difference in mechanics, as the .22 LR is a rimfire cartridge while most rifle bullets are centerfire.

Not sure what that Ruger rifle is that you posted a picture of, but it appears to be a bolt action rifle, which means that it is not a semi-automatic.

[Edit] Is that a rifle meant for biathlon?
    You are both correct. And I stand corrected. It is bolt action. (I am glad I put in that "I'm not a gun enthusiast" disclaimer.") Dick's does have this semi automatic "less scary looking" rifle on its website.

But I can't order any firearm online from Dick's and apparently no guns are available in any stores near me including muzzle loaders. (And I live in Nashville so that makes me wonder if they still sell any kind of gun anywhere). Which...kinda makes the 2nd amendment advocates point for them. Ban one gun and eventually you ban them all.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

But I can't order any firearm online from Dick's and apparently no guns are available in any stores near me including muzzle loaders. (And I live in Nashville so that makes me wonder if they still sell any kind of gun anywhere). Which...kinda makes the 2nd amendment advocates point for them. Ban one gun and eventually you ban them all.
    Can't you go to a real gun store?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Isn't that where criminals get most of their weapons?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Of course. That's not the point. I was looking into Dick Sporting Goods gun policies. I was wondering if they were making false claims.

That would be wise, but as I said, some people just like checking out Dicks. That's just sad.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    That would be wise, but as I said, some people just like checking out Dicks. That's just sad.
    I got my Henry .22 at Dicks a few years back before they went stupid. I would have gone to a "real gun store" but there aren't many of those around here and the closest one that had it in stock was a 40 minute drive and more expensive. I wont shop at Dick's any longer though.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That is a nice rifle, no doubt, congrats.

I just never have been a fan of the Stoner action, or a battle rifle in .22 caliber.

This is my "go to" rifle, I own a few of these now, in different configurations:

.308?

7.62×51mm NATO?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

.308?

7.62×51mm NATO?
    Both.

Unlike the .223 and 5.56, .308 and 7.62x51 are the same round and can be fired interchangeably.

FALs shoot a .308.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Both.

Unlike the .223 and 5.56, .308 and 7.62x51 are the same round and can be fired interchangeably.

FALs shoot a .308.
    They are also very similar but not quite the exact same.

Seems that the safe route would be to buy .308 rifle to shoot both rounds.

Last edited by Cleaner44; 08-11-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I have not seen that before . Interesting , adjustable stock with a scope rail it most certainly appears to be a 7 or so shot , bolt action , match rifle for competitive target shooting . Probably make a decent starter pc for a kid to learn some accuracy with the sad exception that these days these are not made with a set of sights that would be below the scope which is how people should learn .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Isn't that where criminals get most of their weapons?
    I get mine at the bait and tackle in the parking lot . I never see any real criminals there but some of the guys inside look like they have probably participated in tax evasion , mattress tampering , unwed mothers and other unscrupulous activities .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have not seen that before . Interesting , adjustable stock with a scope rail it most certainly appears to be a 7 or so shot , bolt action , match rifle for competitive target shooting . Probably make a decent starter pc for a kid to learn some accuracy with the sad exception that these days these are not made with a set of sights that would be below the scope which is how people should learn .
    Ruger Precision Rifle just launched that rifle in .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua. About $1600 MSRP.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

They are also very similar but not quite the exact same.

Seems that the safe route would be to buy .308 rifle to shoot both rounds.

I will have to check those videos out later. Everything I've seen is that it is the same exact bullet, case, and subsequently case pressure.

And Lord knows I've been shooting them interchangeably.

Rumor is the FAL eats up anything. Steel, brass, .308, 7.62... Read it on Wikipedia I think. Lol.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ruger Precision Rifle just launched that rifle in .300 Win Mag and .338 Lapua. About $1600 MSRP.
    That does not really sound like a deal to me .
    Do something Danke

Not that I am enough of a marksman to consider mile long shots but if I were my glass would no doubt cost twice that.

Their selling point is that it is a tack driver at an entry level price. When you are talking distances and accuracy like that you could spend that much money on a barrel or stock.

http://www.mcmillanfirearms.com/fire...ACfirearmsTab1

$4,999 to start.

Even a Remington 700, depending the options can get up into a couple grand.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I got my Henry .22 at Dicks a few years back before they went stupid. I would have gone to a "real gun store" but there aren't many of those around here and the closest one that had it in stock was a 40 minute drive and more expensive. I wont shop at Dick's any longer though.

One reason it can be difficult to find a "real gun store" in many areas is that, since the Clinton administration ATF has been embarked upon a deliberate, consistent crusade to put as many licensed gun dealers out of business as possible. In 1994 there were around a quarter million licensed firearms dealers in the US. By 2005 that number had been reduced to approximately 50,000, almost exclusively due to ATF.

ETA: also it should be noted that the overwhelming majority of dealers put out of business by ATF were guilty of no real criminal activity. They were mostly innocent people who got railroaded on minor technical paperwork "violations" or simply trumped up charges that were later proven false or dropped. By then however the innocent dealer was financially bankrupted and so went out of business.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 08-11-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I will have to check those videos out later. Everything I've seen is that it is the same exact bullet, case, and subsequently case pressure.

And Lord knows I've been shooting them interchangeably.

Rumor is the FAL eats up anything. Steel, brass, .308, 7.62... Read it on Wikipedia I think. Lol.
    That...I've run damn near everything you can think of through the FALs from match grade Remington .308 to Venezuelan and Israeli surplus 7.62 including tracer rounds.

Never so much as a hiccup.

The action is a damn excavator.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    One reason it can be difficult to find a "real gun store" in many areas is that, since the Clinton administration ATF has been embarked upon a deliberate, consistent crusade to put as many licensed gun dealers out of business as possible. In 1994 there were around a quarter million licensed firearms dealers in the US. By 2005 that number had been reduced to approximately 50,000, almost exclusively due to ATF.

ETA: also it should be noted that the overwhelming majority of dealers put out of business by ATF were guilty of no real criminal activity. They were mostly innocent people who got railroaded on minor technical paperwork "violations" or simply trumped up charges that were later proven false or dropped. By then however the innocent dealer was financially bankrupted and so went out of business.
    You are 100% correct, but there is one thing to note: specs lives in NJ.

So did I until 1990, and even long before the Clintons, there were not a whole lot of gun stores around...being NJ of course, the most restricted state in the country.

When I bought my first guns at 18, there were only two places that I can recall, within roughly an hour's drive, each one county apart: "The Sportsman's Shop" in Neptune and "Jackson Sporting Goods" in Jackson.

ETA - Now that I think about it, there was one other place in Wall, on Rt 35...can't recall the name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast