Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Ron Paul's immigration position from 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post

"I remember I got into trouble with Libertarians because I said there may well be a time when immigration is like an invasion and we have to treat it differently." - Ron Paul on Meet The Press 23 Dec 2007

We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country

Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law.

No amnesty.

End birthright citizenship

current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity.
    Probably want to archive that interview too:

http://archive.is/HW9aj

MR. RUSSERT: You say you're a strict constructionist of the Constitution, and yet you want to amend the Constitution to say that children born here should not automatically be U.S. citizens.

REP. PAUL: Well, amending the Constitution is constitutional. What's a--what's the contradiction there?

MR. RUSSERT: So in the Constitution as written, you want to amend?

REP. PAUL: Well, that's constitutional, to do it. Besides, it was the 14th Amendment. It wasn't in the original Constitution. And there's a, there's a confusion on interpretation. In the early years, it was never interpreted that way, and it's still confusing because people--individuals are supposed to have birthright citizenship if they're under the jurisdiction of the government. And somebody who illegally comes in this country as a drug dealer, is he under the jurisdiction and their children deserve citizenship? I think it's awfully, awfully confusing, and, and I, I--matter of fact, I have a bill to change that as well as a Constitutional amendment to clarify it.
    Last edited by Son_of_Liberty90; 10-28-2019 at 10:18 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ron Paul's position from 2007:

The talk must stop. We must secure our borders now. A nation without secure borders is no nation at all. It makes no sense to fight terrorists abroad when our own front door is left unlocked. This is my six point plan:

• Physically secure our borders and coastlines. We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we undertake complicated immigration reform proposals.
    • Enforce visa rules. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that a number of 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.
    • No amnesty. Estimates suggest that 10 to 20 million people are in our country illegally. That’s a lot of people to reward for breaking our laws.
    • No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.
    • End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.
    • Pass true immigration reform. The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.

http://archive.is/XoV0h#selection-311.1-349.26

"I remember I got into trouble with Libertarians because I said there may well be a time when immigration is like an invasion and we have to treat it differently." - Ron Paul on Meet The Press 23 Dec 2007

MR. RUSSERT: You say you're a strict constructionist of the Constitution, and yet you want to amend the Constitution to say that children born here should not automatically be U.S. citizens.REP. PAUL: Well, amending the Constitution is constitutional. What's a--what's the contradiction there?
    REP. PAUL: Well, that's constitutional, to do it. Besides, it was the 14th Amendment. It wasn't in the original Constitution. And there's a, there's a confusion on interpretation. In the early years, it was never interpreted that way, and it's still confusing because people--individuals are supposed to have birthright citizenship if they're under the jurisdiction of the government. And somebody who illegally comes in this country as a drug dealer, is he under the jurisdiction and their children deserve citizenship? I think it's awfully, awfully confusing, and, and I, I--matter of fact, I have a bill to change that as well as a Constitutional amendment to clarify it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The talk must stop. We must secure our borders now. A nation without secure borders is no nation at all. It makes no sense to fight terrorists abroad when our own front door is left unlocked. This is my six point plan:

• Physically secure our borders and coastlines. We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we undertake complicated immigration reform proposals.
    • Enforce visa rules. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that a number of 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.
    • No amnesty. Estimates suggest that 10 to 20 million people are in our country illegally. That’s a lot of people to reward for breaking our laws.
    • No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.
    • End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.
    • Pass true immigration reform. The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.

MR. RUSSERT: You say you're a strict constructionist of the Constitution, and yet you want to amend the Constitution to say that children born here should not automatically be U.S. citizens.REP. PAUL: Well, amending the Constitution is constitutional. What's a--what's the contradiction there?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    You have no "right" to be here and do anything. None of us do. We are here at the pleasure of those who own the site who can ban or exclude people for any reason they like. I don't think they should do that, but I can't deny it's within their rights, your incessant whining to the contrary notwithstanding.

As to your being "sick and tired," poor baby. Your perpetual attempts to play the victim are completely unmoving. You've worked very hard to piss off a sizeable percentage of the members here, many of them long time, well respected members. That you're the single most disliked, perhaps even despised member here comes as no surprise. You're reaping what you've sown. Too $#@!in' bad.

+ REP

He may oppose the wall now

Yes, Ron Paul does in fact oppose the wall now and is quoted numerous times saying such. Ron Paul, like many of us, have lived and learned, and grew to understand true liberty. We oppose statism/oppression.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    It would be dishonest to leave out the rest of it, so I will kindly provide the part that's missing:

And of course, we can't forget the rest of Ron Paul's positions that also apply:
    *No government spying
    *No "papers, please" mentality
    *No biometrics
    *No walling our country in
    *Let anyone come here and work, without the benefits of citizenship
    *End welfare entirely
    *No abuse of prisoners in US custody

It is important to keep these policies in mind, as they differ significantly from trump's policies:
    *Expanded use of biometrics
    *Increased government spying
    *Expanded police state and "papers, please" mentality
    *Attempting to wall our country in
    *No significant attempts to end welfare
    *Abuse of immigrants held in concentration camps

This is what the trumpettes and shylls are attempting to sell everyone, under the guise of immigration policy. Ron Paul =/= trump!
    If one is to genuinely support Ron Paul on immigration, then one opposes trump on immigration.

+ REP

Pages upon pages, repeat after repeat posts by SS will not change Ron Paul's, or my mind. SS has an agenda for sure, and it has nothing to do with individualism or liberty.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    + REP
    I have a right to be here because the owner of this site says that supporters of Ron do and it is your side that attempts to arrogate the authority to say I don't.

I was attacked and vilified first by all of my enemies for daring to disagree with them and I have never stooped to their level, but I don't expect honesty or fairness out of someone who joined in and supported another member hurling sexual insults at me for daring to disagree with him after I was kind to you about your family's medical problems.

You open borders people are the most offensive and hate filled members of this site with few exceptions.

And I have lots of friends here (even among those who disagree with me) so your attempt to con me into leaving won't work.

Yes, Ron Paul does in fact oppose the wall now and is quoted numerous times saying such. Ron Paul, like many of us, have lived and learned, and grew to understand true liberty. We oppose statism/oppression.
    He may oppose the wall now but that is irrelevant to his position in 2007, he voted for the secure fence act.
    He either supported the wall or considered it to be better than doing nothing.
    Many of his supporters agree.

The wall is not statism or oppression it is a defense against those who would impose those on us.

+ REP
    Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law.

He may oppose the wall now but that is irrelevant to his position in 2007, he voted for the secure fence act.

The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity.

Hype.
    And Ron voted for the Secure Fence act whether he changed his mind later or not.

WRONG.

LIES.

Pages upon pages, repeat after repeat posts by SS will not change Ron Paul's, or my mind. SS has an agenda for sure, and it has nothing to do with individualism or liberty.
    You are the one trying to change Ron's position.
    Your agenda of open borders is either foolishly or knowingly supporting the invasion and conquest by those who will destroy liberty and individualism forever.

I will continue to keep this bumped as long as people like you attempt to misrepresent Ron's position, drive away people who supported him and aid the invasion and conquest of America by communists.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Spamming by posting the same thing over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Spamming by posting the same thing over and over.
    It's called bumping.
    Thanks for helping.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's called bumping.
    Thanks for helping.
    Try this. Type "bump".

And as you know, Ron Paul changed his position since then.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...201-story.html

“I believe Hispanics have been used as scapegoats, to say, they’re the problem instead of being a symptom maybe of a problem with the welfare state,” Paul told the group. “In Nazi Germany they had to have scapegoats to blame and they turned on the Jews.

“Now there’s a lot of antagonism and resentment turned just automatically on immigrants,” he continued. “You say, no not immigrants, it’s just illegal immigrants. I do believe in legal immigration. I want to have a provision to obey those laws. You have to understand this in the context of the economy.”

Paul said he’s not one of those politicians who believes that “barbed-wire fences and guns on our border will solve any of our problems.” That’s not, he said, the American way. And he doesn’t think that a national identification card is the way to go.

Try this. Type "bump".
    I'll bump how I please and in this case I want to keep the relevant information on the current page.

And as you know, Ron Paul changed his position since then.

That's irrelevant to the point of this thread which clearly states the date for the position recorded.

This thread is to keep the anarchists from claiming those who supported and still support Ron's position from his campaign don't belong.

And his position hasn't changed as much as you are trying to imply.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What is Ron Paul's position today?

“I believe Hispanics have been used as scapegoats, to say, they’re the problem instead of being a symptom maybe of a problem with the welfare state,” Paul told the group. “In Nazi Germany they had to have scapegoats to blame and they turned on the Jews.

“Now there’s a lot of antagonism and resentment turned just automatically on immigrants,” he continued. “You say, no not immigrants, it’s just illegal immigrants. I do believe in legal immigration. I want to have a provision to obey those laws. You have to understand this in the context of the economy.”

Paul said he’s not one of those politicians who believes that “barbed-wire fences and guns on our border will solve any of our problems.” That’s not, he said, the American way. And he doesn’t think that a national identification card is the way to go.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.ontheissues.org/TX/Ron_Paul_Immigration.htm

Give illegals limbo status: a green card with an asterisk

Immigrants who can't be sent back due to the magnitude of the problem should not be given citizenship--no amnesty should be granted. Maybe a "green card" with an asterisk could be issued. This in-between status, keeping illegal immigrants in limbo, will be said that it will create a class of 2nd-class citizens. Yet it could be argued that it may well allow some immigrants who come here illegally a beneficial status without automatic citizenship--a much better option than deportation.
    Source: Liberty Defined, by Rep. Ron Paul, p.156 , Apr 19, 2011

Sending 12M illegals home won't & shouldn't happen

Even with a healthy economy and stricter border controls, the issue of what to do with twelve-million-plus illegals already here would persist. One side says use the U.S. Army, round them up, and ship them home. The other side says give them amnesty, make them full-fledged citizens, and reward the lawbreakers, thus insulting and unfairly penalizing those who have patiently waited and obeyed our immigration laws. The first choice--sending twelve to fifteen million illegals home--isn't going to happen and should not happen. Neither the determination or the ability to accomplish it exists. Besides, if each case is looked at separately, we would find ourselves splitting up families and deporting some who have lived here for decades, if not their entire life, and who never lived for any length of time in Mexico.
    Source: Liberty Defined, by Rep. Ron Paul, p.153 , Apr 19, 2011

If economy were good, there’d be no immigration problem

Q: When you ran for president in 1988, you said, “As in our country’s first 150 years, there shouldn’t be any immigration policy at all. We should welcome everyone who wants to come here and work.” You’ve changed your view.

A: And during that campaign I got into trouble with Libertarians because I said there may well be a time when immigration is like an invasion and we have to treat it differently. My approach to immigration is somewhat different than the others. Mine is you deal with it economically We’re in worse shape now because we subsidize immigration. We give food stamps, Social Security, free medical care, free education and amnesty. So you subsidize it, and you have a mess. Conditions have changed. And I think this means that we should look at immigration differently. It’s an economic issue more than anything. If our economy was in good health, I don’t think there’d be an immigration problem. We’d be looking for workers and we would be very generous.

No amnesty, but border fence isn’t so important

Q: You voted to support that 700-mile fence along the border with Mexico. Is there a need for a similar fence along the border with Canada?
    PAUL: No. The fence was my weakest reason for voting for that, but enforcing the law was important, and border security is important. And we’ve talked about amnesty, which I’m positively opposed to. If you subsidize something, you get more of it. We subsidize illegal immigration, we reward it by easy citizenship, either birthright or amnesty.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-06-2019 at 06:22 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You argue for a political statement from 2007 when he was running against a crap load of neocons
    So, Ron Paul was full of $#@! and lying to us all in 2007.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-18-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country

No amnesty.

End birthright citizenship

current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity.
    In the words of Elwood Blues: "It wasn't lies...it was bull$#@!".
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Q: When you ran for president in 1988, you said, “As in our country’s first 150 years, there shouldn’t be any immigration policy at all. We should welcome everyone who wants to come here and work.” You’ve changed your view.

A: And during that campaign I got into trouble with Libertarians because I said there may well be a time when immigration is like an invasion and we have to treat it differently. My approach to immigration is somewhat different than the others. Mine is you deal with it economically We’re in worse shape now because we subsidize immigration. We give food stamps, Social Security, free medical care, free education and amnesty. So you subsidize it, and you have a mess. Conditions have changed. And I think this means that we should look at immigration differently. It’s an economic issue more than anything. If our economy was in good health, I don’t think there’d be an immigration problem. We’d be looking for workers and we would be very generous.
    He's obviously wrong about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    So, Ron Paul was full of $#@! and lying to us all in 2007.
    That's what we are to believe. (according to some people)

And anyone who agrees with his public position from when we supported him back then is to be driven from the site.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    He's obviously wrong about this...
    Liberty creates wealth, wealth attracts parasites and parasites destroy liberty.

The ONLY way to stop it is to not allow the parasites in.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Immigrants who can't be sent back due to the magnitude of the problem should not be given citizenship--no amnesty should be granted. Maybe a "green card" with an asterisk could be issued. This in-between status, keeping illegal immigrants in limbo, will be said that it will create a class of 2nd-class citizens. Yet it could be argued that it may well allow some immigrants who come here illegally a beneficial status without automatic citizenship--a much better option than deportation.

Even with a healthy economy and stricter border controls, the issue of what to do with twelve-million-plus illegals already here would persist. One side says use the U.S. Army, round them up, and ship them home. The other side says give them amnesty, make them full-fledged citizens, and reward the lawbreakers, thus insulting and unfairly penalizing those who have patiently waited and obeyed our immigration laws. The first choice--sending twelve to fifteen million illegals home--isn't going to happen and should not happen. Neither the determination or the ability to accomplish it exists. Besides, if each case is looked at separately, we would find ourselves splitting up families and deporting some who have lived here for decades, if not their entire life, and who never lived for any length of time in Mexico.

Q: You voted to support that 700-mile fence along the border with Mexico. Is there a need for a similar fence along the border with Canada?
    PAUL: No. The fence was my weakest reason for voting for that, but enforcing the law was important, and border security is important. And we’ve talked about amnesty, which I’m positively opposed to. If you subsidize something, you get more of it. We subsidize illegal immigration, we reward it by easy citizenship, either birthright or amnesty.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    Edit. I found the border security one.

For comparison here's the foreign policy one:

"It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

From reading this thread it seems like we have two opposing camps:

Group 1: "Hey we love our country, and I think we need a border that is enforced for our nation to exist"
    Group 2: "$#@! the police, open borders ftw, Im more libertarian than you you statist trash! Lets play retarded word games that amount to nonsense, and make sure we never win or accomplish anything so that we can sit in our basements and whine forever!!"

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast