Thread: Kids sports

Kids sports

Sports often get a bad rep here on rpfs; primarily due to the consumer nature of sports media. But I have fond memories of playing sports as a kid and my son is very active. So, just wondering what sports do any of you parents have your kids involved in? And feel free to brag about their accomplishments.

I've given my spawn every opportunity to try any sport he wants and he has naturally gravitated to the more individual sports than team sports -- I did as well -- but I went out of my way not to push that trait onto him. Currently he swims competitively; is working through the belts in Karate -- just started physical contact sparring and loving it; and working on learning tennis for fun. Coincidently the same sports I enjoyed/excelled at when I was younger.

Biggest brag is that I can honestly say that he is now a better swimmer than both his mom and myself were at his age --and we were very good -- he is simply a beast in the water all due to his own hard work.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good on ya for raising your kid this way. Sports are a needed part on the road to adulting.

Beth's grandkid is into baseball. And damn good at it. We helped pay for his trip/training up in Cooperstown last year. Actually, he did. Gave him a choice between a drone he wanted or cash for his B-day. He took the cash, "I'm saving up for Cooperstown."

He's a pitcher. Took a ball to the face. Lost a tooth. Coach wanted to pull him but he wanted to finish the inning. His dad said he stood by his sons decision and the coach relented. Finished the inning then went to the emergency healthcare clinic. 13yrs. old. The kids learned moxie.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    He's a pitcher. Took a ball to the face. Lost a tooth. Coach wanted to pull him but he wanted to finish the inning. His dad said he stood by his sons decision and the coach relented. Finished the inning then went to the emergency healthcare clinic. 13yrs. old. The kids learned moxie.
    Good on him. Similarly one of the reasons my kid does well in swim is that he isn't afraid of the wall (esp. in backstroke) where kids slow down. He went forehead first into the wall in butterfly at a very close meet; everyone in the crowd cringed and gasped, he shook it off like it was just another day and won the race by .04 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Good on him. Similarly one of the reasons my kid does well in swim is that he isn't afraid of the wall (esp. in backstroke) where kids slow down. He went forehead first into the wall in butterfly at a very close meet; everyone in the crowd cringed and gasped, he shook it off like it was just another day and won the race by .04 seconds.
    Yeah, gotta have the timing down just right at the wall. Better to overshoot and win than undershoot and lose. Lol.

I have zero interest in professional sports these days,(I call the Seahawks the gayhawks) but all my kids were in sports and I coached some of their teams. Mostly basketball and baseball though the boys did play some football as well. The grandsons played/play football and most of them race motorcycles.
    "The Patriarch"

Not sure if my mom played sports but I remember my dad telling me that he used to wrestle in high school. My brother played basketball but he wasn't on a school team. One cousin on my dads side of the family is 6'4 and he played for a high school team. Two cousins on my moms side of the family played golf and soccer. They both still golf today and one of them wants to go pro though I'm not sure if its going to happen. As for myself, I started martial arts back when I was in 4th grade but stopped when I hit middle school. Got another cousin on my moms side of the family that lives in Japan and he took martial arts as well. I was mainly an indoor kid that played video games but I've grown out of that for the most part after graduating high school back in 2010. I wouldn't consider playing video games a sport.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 08-10-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I played sports, my brothers played sports, my kids played sports... the only issue I've ever had with youth sports are crazy parents but that comes with any competitive atmosphere but they seem to be more vocal in athletics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I played sports, my brothers played sports, my kids played sports... the only issue I've ever had with youth sports are crazy parents but that comes with any competitive atmosphere but they seem to be more vocal in athletics.
    Uh huh

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Uh huh

I actually almost included pageants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

One of my 7 yr old Grand Daughters played soccer last yr and her Dad coached the team . She did not like it , her Mother did not as well . I don't know what is wrong with them , I loved that game . I loved Football too . A couple of my Boys played Basketball and a couple of them played football and baseball but I really don't think any of them loved it as much as I did . Possibly because there were more choices for them . For me I was pretty much working on the farm until I was 15 if I was not at ball practice .
    Do something Danke

Our grandchildren never did organized sports until last summer when all of them did baseball. The oldest was almost 12 and really did not know how to play. But he is coachable and had an excellent coach. His team made the championship game and he was the most improved player in the league.

My goal in my retirement is for us to move to a small town and start a blog about local sports, including running. Just for fun.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    One of my 7 yr old Grand Daughters played soccer last yr and her Dad coached the team . She did not like it , her Mother did not as well . .
    My kid tried soccer, he didn't give a squat about the ball or scoring, he just wanted to keep running laps around the field. so we quit that.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Our grandchildren never did organized sports until last summer when all of them did baseball. The oldest was almost 12 and really did not know how to play. But he is coachable and had an excellent coach. His team made the championship game and he was the most improved player in the league.

My goal in my retirement is for us to move to a small town and start a blog about local sports, including running. Just for fun.
    Watch the movie "Funny Farm" with Chevy Chase sometime.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Sports often get a bad rep here on rpfs; primarily due to the consumer nature of sports media. But I have fond memories of playing sports as a kid and my son is very active. So, just wondering what sports do any of you parents have your kids involved in? And feel free to brag about their accomplishments.

I've given my spawn every opportunity to try any sport he wants and he has naturally gravitated to the more individual sports than team sports -- I did as well -- but I went out of my way not to push that trait onto him. Currently he swims competitively; is working through the belts in Karate -- just started physical contact sparring and loving it; and working on learning tennis for fun. Coincidently the same sports I enjoyed/excelled at when I was younger.

Biggest brag is that I can honestly say that he is now a better swimmer than both his mom and myself were at his age --and we were very good -- he is simply a beast in the water all due to his own hard work.
    Karate isn't a "sport" traditionally. It's an art and philosphy/"do". Some Gichin Funakoshi quotes here.

i.e.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 08-10-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Karate isn't a "sport" traditionally. It's an art and philosphy/"do". Some Gichin Funakoshi quotes
    bless your heart.

bless your heart.
    Backatcha. ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.