Thread: Arlington TX Cop Kills Woman While Shooting at Dog

Arlington TX Cop Kills Woman While Shooting at Dog

Well, the officer went home safe, all that matters really. Better to just fire away in a public place than risk getting a dog bite.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/arlingt...-aiming-at-dog

Arlington officer fatally shoots woman while aiming at dog

By FOX4News.com Staff

Posted Aug 01 2019 10:18PM CDT

ARLINGTON, Texas - An Arlington police officer accidentally shot and killed a woman while he was trying to stop an aggressive dog.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner has identified the woman as 30-year-old Margarita Brooks.

She had apparently passed out in a grassy area near Canton Drive and North Collins Street Thursday afternoon. Someone called police around 5 p.m. for a welfare check.

Police said as a responding officer called out to her and approached her to check on her, an unrestrained dog began barking and running toward him.

He pulled out his weapon and fired several shots at the dog. He then heard the woman scream and realized she’d been hit.

Brooks was taken to the hospital where she later died.

snip

It’s unclear if the officer will face any charges.
    Last edited by SeanTX; 08-02-2019 at 08:20 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Well, the officer went home safe, all that matters really. Better to just fire away in a public place than risk getting a dog bite.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/arlingt...-aiming-at-dog
    Good thing he's not a mailman.
    "The Patriarch"

"Welfare check"

How many of these end up with someone dead, injured or in jail? Perhaps it's time for a different term to be used. (or people could stop calling the cops..)
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    "Welfare check"

How many of these end up with someone dead, injured or in jail? Perhaps it's time for a different term to be used. (or people could stop calling the cops..)
    It sounds like the woman killed was a homeless woman, so this will be forgotten about pretty quickly . The killer will probably retire on disability for PTSD , like the Mesa, AZ cop who murdered the unarmed man who was laying on his stomach begging for his life.

han
    sh00ts
    1st
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Body cam video of the killing. It was a rookie cop, just started patrolling on his own July 1st.

I sure in the academy it was drilled into his head "Your safety comes first -- if you feel threatened by a dog, don't hesitate to shoot it."

Better to just fire away in a public place than risk getting a dog bite.
    It's better to play it safe than risk getting a bite that could get infected
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

The dog was possibly grazed and taken to the Arlington animal shelter to be checked out, police said.
    So a woman died, and the $#@! didn't even manage to kill the dog. @TheTexan is not going to be pleased ...

(And I wonder who took it to the animal shelter - what with cops being such pants-pissers when it comes to dogs and all ...)
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Body cam video of the killing. It was a rookie cop, just started patrolling on his own July 1st.

I sure in the academy it was drilled into his head "Your safety comes first -- if you feel threatened by a dog, don't hesitate to shoot it."
    Zero hesitation. He probably finished first in his class
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Actual shooting starts at 6:15 in the video.

I have asked this question before and I will ask it again, why can't they just do a warning shot? from the video, you can see that the dog ran away immediately he opened fire. This is just senseless

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    So a woman died, and the $#@! didn't even manage to kill the dog. @TheTexan is not going to be pleased ...
    Kill the dog? The Officer probably saved that dog's life. Who knows what kind of wretched conditions that woman had that dog in, to make him charge at an Officer like that.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Actual shooting starts at 6:15 in the video.

I have asked this question before and I will ask it again, why can't they just do a warning shot? from the video, you can see that the dog ran away immediately he opened fire. This is just senseless
    But what happens when the warning shot hits and kills somebody? (After all, the whole point of a "warning shot" would be to avoid killing the dog - and isn't that exactly what happened here? The dog is still alive and a woman is dead ...)

How about just not shooting at all?

I have had bigger dogs than the one in the video approach me the same way - more than once. And I have never been bitten or attacked by one.

Postmen and delivery people have to deal with dogs all the time, and for some reason they don't need guns (let alone warning shots) to do their jobs.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-02-2019 at 07:04 PM.

But what happens when the warning shot hits and kills somebody? (After all, the whole point of a "warning shot" would be to avoid killing the dog - and isn't that exactly what happened here? The dog is still alive and a woman is dead ...)

How about just not shooting at all?

I have had bigger dogs than the one in the video approach me the same way - more than once. And I have never been bitten or attacked by one.

Postmen and delivery people have to deal with dogs all the time, and for some reason they don't need guns (let alone warning shots) to do their jobs.
    The point is that a warning shot is less likely to hit someone that a targeted shot. We know most dogs and even wild animals like lions run when u shoot a gun. So why not train cops to use warning shots?

The way I see it, I would rather be hit by a ricochet or falling bullet than a straight shot.

We had a German shepherd growing up and if our dog came at you like that, you are going to end up in the hospital. Because he would bite you until one of us comes and get him off you. I understand the fear but I just think their methods needs to be twitched to better protect the citizen.

The point is that a warning shot is less likely to hit someone that a targeted shot. We know most dogs and even wild animals like lions run when u shoot a gun. So why not train cops to use warning shots?
    The point is that cops are the only ones who seem to be chronically unable to cope with dogs without resorting to gunplay.

The way I see it, I would rather be hit by a ricochet or falling bullet than a straight shot.
    The way I see it, I would rather not be shot at all.

We had a German shepherd growing up and if our dog came at you like that, you are going to end up in the hospital. Because he would bite you until one of us comes and get him off you. I understand the fear but I just think their methods needs to be twitched to better protect the citizen.
    And if your dog had ever actually done that (without provocation) to me or anyone else, then it should have been put down (and "we" should have been sued).

But there are ways of dealing with genuinely aggressive dogs[1] that don't involve waving a gun around and popping off multiple rounds ...

[1] And by "genuinely aggressive dogs" I do not mean "dogs that merely run towards you while barking."
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-02-2019 at 10:23 PM.

There are some cases where a truly aggressive, dangerous dog needs to be shot, but sometimes it's just not possible, or the best option given other factors.

One of those a few months back put me in the hospital ER and I have a TBI and life-long neck and back injuries to go with it. I blame the owner more than the dog -- most people are too irresponsible and stupid to have a dog, especially an aggressive one.

I've always been a dog lover, but I'm becoming less of one -- because of all the people who can't understand that not all of them are good, and the lousy owners who don't seem to care if someone gets injured by a bad one.

As is the case with most such encounters, I didn't even have time to go for the pepper spray I had, much less time to draw a gun and shoot, it happened so fast.

I just had to fight it off and get to a safe place. A back yard where kids play and a garage apartment would have been the backstop, so shooting wouldn't have been an option (unless I was a cop).

Even though I was badly injured, if I had fired a weapon and struck a bystander, I'm sure I would have been criminally charged for having done so. This cop needs to be charged, and the "always shoot the dog" training need to change.
    Last edited by SeanTX; 08-03-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Your dog should have been put down.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'm sure you're right. And the academy will find justification in that instruction when this officer is not punished, at least not in any serious way, on account of being able to fall back on the excuse that he felt threatened.

Cop Found Not Guilty Despite Video of Him Killing Innocent Woman While Trying to Kill Her Dog
    "You see the video for yourself. There's nobody that owns a gun that would ever take that shot. Ever. But if you're a police officer, you're covered in absolute immunity."
    https://thefreethoughtproject.com/pu...-kill-her-dog\
    Matt Agorist (30 August 2022)

[all emphasis in original - OB]

Arlington, TX — As readers of the Free Thought Project know, police killing or attempting to kill dogs is an all too common occurrence — happening so often that it is caught on video much of the time. Also, as the following tragic case our of Arlington, TX illustrates, all too often, police will attempt to kill a dog — miss the dog — and shoot and kill an innocent person instead.

In 2020, a Texas grand jury indicted a police officer after he was seen on video trying to kill a dog and killing an innocent woman instead.

Arlington police officer Ravi Singh was charged with criminally negligent homicide for killing Maggie Brooks, 30, the daughter of an Arlington fire captain. On Monday, however, he was found not guilty — despite overwhelming evidence against him. Naturally, this news upset Brooks' family.

"You see the video for yourself," Brooks' father, Troy Brooks said. "There's nobody that owns a gun that would ever take that shot. Ever. But if you're a police officer, you're covered in absolute immunity. You can do whatever you want, and there are no repercussions for you."

The Tarrant County District Attorney released the following statement after the verdict:

A Tarrant County jury on Monday found former Arlington Police Officer Ravinder "Ravi" Singh not guilty of criminally negligent homicide in the death of Margarita "Maggie" Victoria Brooks in 2019. Any time an officer is involved in the use of force that results in the death of a civilian, our office takes that investigation to a Grand Jury. If the Grand Jury returns an indictment on the officer, we prosecute the case. A jury heard the facts related to the death of Ms. Brooks in 2019. They evaluated the testimony and evidence and determined that Ravinder Singh was not guilty. By doing so, the jury fulfilled their duty in the criminal justice system, as did we."

Likely due to the fact that Singh was only facing a maximum sentence of 2 years in jail, even if he would've been convicted, the family began seeking justice through civil means in the form of a lawsuit last year.

“Officer Singh knew that he was firing his weapon in precisely the direction where Ms. Brooks was peacefully lying in the grass,” the seven-page complaint states. “Officer Singh struck Ms. Brooks in the chest causing pain, agony and death.”

According to court documents, the family is seeking over $1 million in actual and punitive damages for wrongful death and for the violation of Brooks' 14th Amendment rights. The family also hopes that this will lead to change in the Arlington police department policy to prevent further tragedies from taking place.

“Our hope is not only that this officer is held responsible for Maggie’s death, but that the Arlington Police Department is also held accountable for its lack of training and procedures in responding to welfare checks,” the family said in a statement.

As TFTP reported at the time, Brooks' death was entirely preventable and was the sole result of irrational officer fear coupled with poor judgement and aim.

“It’s a puppy. This is a grown man afraid of a puppy. Who is the paid professional in this encounter? Every child, every mailman, every runner, jogger, bicyclist has dealt with a dog running at them and no one ends up dead. Why do you go to deadly force immediately?” Troy Brooks said at the time Singh was charged.

As TFTP reported, the shooting happened at approximately 5:15 p.m. on August 1, 2019. Police were in the area to conduct a welfare check on a sleeping woman who was reportedly passed out in a grassy area near Canton Drive and North Collins Street. That woman was Brooks. Instead of receiving help, however, Brooks received a fatal bullet.

According to police, as Singh approached the sleeping woman lying in the grass, he saw a stray dog. Singh called out to Brooks when all of the sudden, the dog started running toward him, so he fired his weapon several times. The officer missed the dog, but hit the woman instead.

"As the officer called out to the woman repeatedly concerning her welfare, the dog began to run towards the officer while barking. The officer retreated backwards from the running dog while drawing his duty firearm," police said at the time. "The officer discharged his firearm multiple times towards the dog. After the shots were fired, the woman yelled out and it was apparent she was injured."

“Oh my God,” Brooks screamed. “The police shot me.”

Brooks was transported to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead. Her three children — ages 9, 11, and 13 — now live with their grandfather, who says this entire situation could've been easily avoided.

“Rule number one," he said. "Don’t kill the citizens."

Unfortunately, that rule was broken and no one will be held accountable.

Trial underway for former Arlington officer who shot, killed a sleeping woman while aiming at dog
    Ravi Singh is charged with negligent homicide in the death of 30-year-old Margarita Brooks in 2019.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMGsAx1cwc4
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-30-2022 at 08:33 PM.

[C]ops are the only ones who seem to be chronically unable to cope with dogs without resorting to gunplay.
    //

"It's a puppy. This is a grown man afraid of a puppy. Who is the paid professional in this encounter? Every child, every mailman, every runner, jogger, bicyclist has dealt with a dog running at them and no one ends up dead. Why do you go to deadly force immediately?" Troy Brooks said at the time Singh was charged.

Ravi is now respected amongst his peers.

He now has a taste for blood.

He's coming to protect and serve the hell out of you now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shoot_Dog.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	8350
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.