Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can Justin Amash Win Reelection As An Independent?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Why would a hardworking individual donate their hard earned money to a campaign that considers a $900k donation a drop in the bucket?
    You are confusing multiple things here.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    You are confusing multiple things here.
    When a person is confused about what to do with their hard earned money the smart thing is to keep it.

Amash is winning already.
    Winning is not always just 'winning next election election', in many worthwhile movements winning an immediate election can be secondary.

Donald Trump: Ron Paul Can't Win
    CBS News
    Feb 10, 2011 - "Ron Paul cannot get elected, I'm sorry," Trump said to a rowdy ... CPAC (he won the straw poll last year) - rose to their feet and cheered Trump.

The way tide is shifting and GOPA wing is coming out as a puppet of globalist neocons, political landscape can change again in a hurry. Trump rallied for KY Gov and he just lost election

Virginia cyclist who flipped off Trump's motorcade wins race for local office

KY GOP Governor Loses in the State Trump Won by 30 Points
    Trump supported KY candidate loses in deep-red state

Trump told Kentucky to make the governor’s race all about him. And they did. And his guy lost.
    Nov 6, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Amash is winning already.
    Winning is not always just 'winning next election election', in many worthwhile movements winning an immediate election can be secondary.
    Amash is losing, unless his goal is to make people hate libertarianism and associate it with treason.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Libertarianism is not a practical solution. Libertarianism combined with Agorism is a practical solution.

Ron Paul won when he retired from CONgress. Justin leaving the REPUG Party on the 4th is a pretty good start. Perhaps someday he will take over where Ron leaves off.

Treason. As an individualist, anything which opposes my willful consent, as long as I do no harm to person or property, is treason against me plain and simple.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    There has been one other Congressmen in the last 100 years who vote like Massie and Amash. Ron Paul.
    I dunno, I hear that Larry McDonald was pretty good too.
    McDonald, who considered himself a traditional Democrat "cut from the cloth of Jefferson and Jackson", was known for his conservative views, even by Southern standards. In fact, one scoring method published in the American Journal of Political Science[6] named him the second most conservative member of either chamber of Congress between 1937 and 2002 (behind only Ron Paul).[7]

The American Conservative Union gave him a perfect score of 100 every year he was in the House of Representatives, except in 1978, when he scored a 95.[8] He also scored "perfect or near perfect ratings" on the congressional scorecards of the National Right to Life Committee, Gun Owners of America, and the American Security Council.[9] McDonald was referred to by The New American as "the leading anti-Communist in Congress"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Libertarianism is not a practical solution. Libertarianism combined with Agorism is a practical solution.

Ron Paul won when he retired from CONgress. Justin leaving the REPUG Party on the 4th is a pretty good start. Perhaps someday he will take over where Ron leaves off.

Treason. As an individualist, anything which opposes my willful consent, as long as I do no harm to person or property, is treason against me plain and simple.
    Surrender and abandoning the field to the enemy are not the path to victory.
    And it's an insult that you dared to compare Ron's retirement to such an idea, he spent most of his life fighting the good fight and only retired when he was too old to continue.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And it's an insult that you dared to compare...
    No, it isn't. It's just free speech.

Who appointed you to the office of Tyrannical Gatekeeper of the Speech?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    No, it isn't. It's just free speech.

Who appointed you to the office of Tyrannical Gatekeeper of the Speech?
    Insults are covered by free speech.
    Only liberals think otherwise.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Insults are covered by free speech.
    Only liberals think otherwise.
    Then why are you talking about what he dared to say? Just so we'd know you're a prog?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Then why are you talking about what he dared to say? Just so we'd know you're a prog?
    It's kind of daring to insult Ron on this site dedicated to him.
    You are the one who outed yourself by exposing that you think that if it was an insult it wouldn't be covered by free speech.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's kind of daring to insult Ron on this site dedicated to him.
    You should know. You're the king of, "Ron is wrong."

You are the one who outed yourself by exposing that you think that if it was an insult it wouldn't be covered by free speech.
    Oh, come on. You can come up with better spin than that.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You should know. You're the king of, "Ron is wrong."
    It's not a crime to be wrong about something, almost nobody is right about everything.

Oh, come on. You can come up with better spin than that.
    It's not spin, you are the one who says government should restrict political speech.
    Don't make me dig up the post where you said Ron was wrong about Citizens United.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's not a crime to be wrong about something, almost nobody is right about everything.

It's not spin, you are the one who says government should restrict political speech.
    Don't make me dig up the post where you said Ron was wrong about Citizens United.

I hope you didn't hurt yourself.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I hope you didn't hurt yourself.
    Not even a little bit. Ron Paul does not believe in corporate personhood.

He believes people should have unlimited free speech, and beyond the people in it, corporations have zero right to free speech.

The Citizens United decision contradicts that by granting corporations more speech than the sum of the citizens involved in them. When did I contradict that position? Do quote me.

Hope you don't hurt yourself again.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-12-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Not even a little bit. Ron Paul does not believe in corporate personhood.

He believes people should have unlimited free speech, and beyond the people in it, corporations have zero right to free speech.

The Citizens United decision contradicts that by granting corporations more speech than the sum of the citizens involved in them. When did I contradict that position? Do quote me.

Hope you don't hurt yourself again.
    You are disagreeing with him right now.
    Misrepresenting his position won't help you.
    Ron Paul Rages "Campaign Finance Reform? Don't Make Me Laugh!"

Campaign Finance Reform Helps Special Interests

One of the new Democratic House majority’s top priorities is so-called campaign finance reform legislation. Contrary to the claims of its supporters, campaign finance reform legislation does not limit the influence of powerful special interests. Instead, it violates the First Amendment and burdens those seeking real change in government.

The First Amendment of the Constitution forbids Congress from interfering in any way with any citizen’s ability to influence government policies. Spending money to support candidates and causes is one way individuals influence government policies. Therefore, laws limiting and regulating donations to campaigns and organizations that work to change government policies violate the First Amendment.
    One very troubling aspect of campaign finance reform laws is forcing organizations involved in “electioneering” to hand over the names of their top donors to the federal government. Electioneering is broadly defined to include informing the public of candidates’ positions and records, even if the group in question focuses solely on advancing issues and ideas. Burdening these types of organizations will make it harder for individuals to learn the truth about candidates’ positions.
    America has a long and distinguished tradition of anonymous political speech. Both the Federalist and the Anti-Federalist papers where published anonymously. As Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote in NAACP v. Alabama, where the Supreme Court upheld the NAACP’s right to keep its membership list confidential, “Inviolability of privacy in group association may in many circumstances be indispensable to preservation of freedom of association, particularly where a group espouses dissident beliefs.”
    Supporters of groups with “dissident beliefs” have good reason to fear new disclosure laws. In 2014, the IRS had to pay 50,000 dollars to the National Organization for Marriage because an IRS employee leaked donors names to the organization’s opponents. Fortunately, the Trump administration has repealed the regulation forcing activist groups to disclose their donors to the IRS. Unfortunately, Congress seems poised to reinstate that rule.
    In recent years, we have seen the rise of authoritarian political movements that think harassment and even violence against those with differing views are acceptable tactics. Can anyone doubt that activists in these movements would do all they could to obtain the lists of donors to groups that oppose their agenda? They may be able to obtain the lists either by hacking government databases or by having a sympathetic federal employee “accidentally” leak the names.
    As long as businesses can profit by currying favor with politicians and bureaucrats who have the power to reward or punish them via subsidies and regulations, powerful interests will find a way to influence the political process. These special interests seek out and reward politicians who support policies favoring their interests. So foreign policy hawks can count on generous support from the military-industrial complex, supporters of corporatist health care systems like Obamacare can count on generous support from the health insurance-pharma complex, and apologists for the Federal Reserve can count on support from the big banks.
    Special interests do not favor free-market capitalism. Instead, they favor a mixed economy where government protects the profits of large business interests. That is why big business is more likely to support a progressive or a “moderate” than a libertarian. Campaign finance and donor disclosure laws will make it harder for grassroots liberty activists to challenge the corporatist status quo. Those wishing to get big money out of politics should work to get politics out of all aspects of the economy.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-make-me-laugh
    And you should remember because you posted in the thread.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You are disagreeing with him right now.
    How?

You made the charge. Don't be Adam Schiff. Be specific. And remember, misrepresenting Ron Paul's position won't help you.

How?

You made the charge. Don't be Adam Schiff. Be specific. And remember, misrepresenting Ron Paul's position won't help you.
    Try reading.
    Ron says groups have speech rights and that giving them money to speak for you is speech.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Try reading.
    Ron says groups have speech rights and that giving them money to speak for you is speech.
    Wrong. Ron says citizens have the right to speak in groups.

And I did not contradict that.

What your straw man friend that looks kinda like me said, I neither know nor care.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wrong. Ron says citizens have the right to speak in groups.

And I did not contradict that.

What your straw man friend that looks kinda like me said, I neither know nor care.
    That's the same thing but you support government restrictions on citizens speaking in groups.

Ron:

The First Amendment of the Constitution forbids Congress from interfering in any way with any citizen’s ability to influence government policies. Spending money to support candidates and causes is one way individuals influence government policies. Therefore, laws limiting and regulating donations to campaigns and organizations that work to change government policies violate the First Amendment.
    Money does not equal speech, in my mind.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's the same thing but you support government restrictions on citizens speaking in groups.

Ron:
    I support corporations not having unlimited ability to contribute to politicians where individual citizens are limited.

Tell us again how you're spinning that fact...?

I support corporations not having unlimited ability to contribute to politicians where individual citizens are limited.

Tell us again how you're spinning that fact...?
    You support the limits on groups, the correct answer is to remove the limits on individuals.
    And you deny that spending money on political speech is protected by the 1stA.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You support the limits on groups, the correct answer is to remove the limits on individuals.
    And you deny that spending money on political speech is protected by the 1stA.
    You say, the correct remedy is... But Ron Paul denies corporate personhood. He says corporations have no rights whatsoever apart from the rights of the people involved in it.

And months later, you're still harping on this nothing burger. I'm flattered.

You say, the correct remedy is... But Ron Paul denies corporate personhood. He says corporations have no rights whatsoever apart from the rights of the people involved in it.

And months later, you're still harping on this nothing burger. I'm flattered.
    He says the groups (composed of individuals) have speech rights and the restrictions are wrong, you support the restrictions by trying to pretend that the groups are distinct from the individuals that compose them.
    He says money to buy political speech is speech and protected by the 1stA, you say money isn't speech and isn't protected by the 1stA.

I only brought it up because you denied supporting restrictions on speech and disagreeing with Ron.

Having proven both I am happy to return this thread to a discussion of how Amash will lose because he endorsed a treasonous coup.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He says the groups (composed of individuals) have speech rights and the restrictions are wrong, you support the restrictions by trying to pretend that the groups are distinct from the individuals that compose them.
    And how does Ron disagree with that and oppose corporate personhood at the same time?

And how does Ron disagree with that and oppose corporate personhood at the same time?
    We aren't talking about corporate personhood.
    We are talking about the restrictions on the speech rights of the members of the groups by restricting the groups.
    Ron opposes the restrictions and you support them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

...by trying to pretend that the groups are distinct from the individuals that compose them.
    We aren't talking about corporate personhood.
    Keep spinning it.

Now that you've filled this thread with your opinions, keep demonstrating how much of a down payment on a cup of coffee they might get us.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-12-2019 at 05:45 PM.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Keep spinning it.

Now that you've filled this thread with your opinions, keep demonstrating how much of a down payment on a cup of coffee they might get us.
    Corporate personhood would be more like what you are pushing by saying the group is anything but the sum of the individuals that compose it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123