Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Justin Amash Win Reelection As An Independent?

Justin is not raising enough money to ensure he is competitive!

Time is short. He needs to start raising dough or he's going down.

I wonder if any outside groups will come to his rescue like Club4Growth or FreedomWorks because his voting record is practically impeccable.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Justin is not raising enough money to ensure he is competitive!

Time is short. He needs to start raising dough or he's going down.

I wonder if any outside groups will come to his rescue like Club4Growth or FreedomWorks because his voting record is practically impeccable.
    I don't think the Club4Trump will be helping out.

Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I don't think the Club4Trump will be helping out.

That's unfortunate. How is Amash going to raise money? He is going to need to build a network. I think its possible because he has a strong brand (and voting record) and can build a national profile like Ron. He only needs say 600k-1mil. His opponent will be depleted after a hotly contested Republican primary so Amash can strike quickly IF he can build that brand and raise money.

I have a lot of faith in Justin. I am praying he can pull it off but he needs to get moving!

That's unfortunate. How is Amash going to raise money? He is going to need to build a network. I think its possible because he has a strong brand (and voting record) and can build a national profile like Ron. He only needs say 600k-1mil. His opponent will be depleted after a hotly contested Republican primary so Amash can strike quickly IF he can build that brand and raise money.

I have a lot of faith in Justin. I am praying he can pull it off but he needs to get moving!
    Amash destroyed all his political capital over some childish, TDS-driven nonsense. As far as I'm concerned, he's already burned the many hundreds of dollars I've given him. Who would be foolish enough to donate to him at this point? No reason to throw good money after bad.

Yall don't get it.

He clearly doesn't want to be in Congress any more.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    You're looking for TrumpForums.com
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Yall don't get it.

Nonesense Matt. He has said he is going to run for Congress. I am worried about his finances though. He clearly needs to do better.

Yall don't get it.

I don't think that's clear. You may be right that he doesn't want to be there. I don't know. But that's not why he's supporting impeachment. He's following his convictions, and he doesn't feel that he has any choice but to take the side against Trump, whether he wants to stay in Congress or not.

And his recent tweet is spot on. He may suffer short-term fallout for this that costs him his seat. But in the long-term, the blind support other Republicans gave Trump during these years will be an albatross they'll regret having to carry on their necks for the rest of their careers. And Amash will come out of the fray looking pretty good and in a uniquely advantageous position politically.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post

And his recent tweet is spot on. He may suffer short-term fallout for this that costs him his seat. But in the long-term, the blind support other Republicans gave Trump during these years will be an albatross they'll regret having to carry on their necks for the rest of their careers. And Amash will come out of the fray looking pretty good and in a uniquely advantageous position politically.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

To get to / be in Congress you have to do certain things. Even Ron acknowledge that. He had to make a deal with the devil to be able to keep his seat. There is a price for admission, Justin is smart enough to know this, which means the only logical conclusion is that since he doesn't want to pay the price for admission he doesn't want to be there any longer.

Thomas is a great example of how to handle this. Justin has been tone deaf. And I'm not that big of a Trump fan either.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

He'd have a good chance as an Independent if it weren't for straight ticket voting. I'm personally still supporting his campaign though.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Interesting seeing one of the most Ron Paulian Congressmen ever get trashed on a Ron Paul site.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Interesting seeing one of the most Ron Paulian Congressmen ever get trashed on a Ron Paul site.
    That's what happens when you endorse treason.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

lol

right...

Because he mad some seriously strategic missteps.

It's a shame he picked that hill to die on.

Because he mad some seriously strategic missteps.
    Those complaints have nothing to do with character or voting record.

On actual issues, you don't get better than Amash. Ron isn't better. Amash is as good as it gets. It is near impossible to get people like Amash, Massie and Rand elected. And when they do, people complain endlessly about nothing. Not going to do better. They were fluke wins to begin with. Will certainly do much worse though when they are gone.

I think it's sad that Amash gets like a 95 on the freedom index, but because he's not a Trump Disciple and actually probably hates the guy like alot of us do, we should just discard him completely. But that's short sighted thinking for you.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Even more interesting to watch a propagandist like Swordsmyth and outright shill get a "reputation beyond repute" on this site as well. Now it should make sense.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I think it's sad that Amash gets like a 95 on the freedom index, but because he's not a Trump Disciple and actually probably hates the guy like alot of us do, we should just discard him completely. But that's short sighted thinking for you.
    Everyone respected his opinion and choices regarding Trump until he endorsed treason.

It only takes one act to become a traitor and it doesn't matter whether he sold out or was a sleeper all along.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Amash didn't recognize who the real enemy was and joined forces with them. Hint: Trump isn't the real enemy.

There are some libertarians who don't grasp the fact that there is a cabal of elites who rule our government and beyond. TheCount is a good example of that, if we give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually believe in liberty.

Until this cabal is done away with, we will never be free. Amash joined forces with the evil dark side. It's very unfortunate. As good as his voting record was, he betrayed liberty by joining with them, even if he didn't know it. Even if you don't know it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    There are some libertarians who don't grasp the fact that there is a cabal of elites who rule our government and beyond. TheCount is a good example of that, if we give them the benefit of the doubt that they actually believe in liberty.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

TheCount is the best example I can think of on this site who openly mocks libertarians, to the point where he attempts to embarrass them and make them appear foolish (they aren't, he is) and has probably even mocked Ron Paul on occasion for his belief that a secret cabal of elites have control over the media, education and our government institutions.

Based on what I've seen, I don't think TheCount believes in liberty, I think they are a fraud trying to distract libertarians from the real enemy. Reason does the same thing quite often. But, like Reason, from time to time they do actually attempt to make a pro-liberty argument and take the "high road" in order to make other libertarians look bad for supporting something that will ultimately help the cause of liberty. I believe they are most likely pretending to do it on principal, in which case it's not the worst quality LARP I've seen before.

Those complaints have nothing to do with character or voting record.

On actual issues, you don't get better than Amash. Ron isn't better. Amash is as good as it gets. It is near impossible to get people like Amash, Massie and Rand elected. And when they do, people complain endlessly about nothing. Not going to do better. They were fluke wins to begin with.
    LOL, no, they were not flukes. Having been involved in some of them I can tell you that they were well planned and executed strategies.

LOL, no, they were not flukes. Having been involved in some of them I can tell you that they were well planned and executed strategies.
    There has been one other Congressmen in the last 100 years who vote like Massie and Amash. Ron Paul. And Massie and Amash just happened to win right after Ron Paul's presidential runs when there a lot of short term grassroots fever. I don't think that is a set of circumstances that arises often. Massie won a race because a kid got an inheritance and dumped into getting Massie elected.

Not to mention Mike Lee and Rand Paul (Ron's son) got elected at the same time as well. Seems a little flukey.

Massie won a race because a kid got an inheritance and dumped into getting Massie elected.
    LOL, huh wut?

Not to mention Mike Lee and Rand Paul (Ron's son) got elected at the same time as well. Seems a little flukey.
    It's not a fluke, it's called the Internet which allowed voters to bypass controlled sources of information and allowed peer to peer networking.

Kerry Bentvolio was a fluke. Ron, Rand, Thomas, Justin, and Mike all ran serious campaigns to win. Winning is usually not a fluke.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL, huh wut?
    Pretty amazing/not at all surprising you don't know this.

How A College Kid May Have Helped Pick A Congressman https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallp...-a-congressman

Massie won the Republican nomination in Kentucky's 4th Congressional District, just south of Cincinnati, on Tuesday in large part due to the backing of James Ramsey, a 21-year-old college student in Texas.
    Ramsey plowed almost $900,000 of it into Kentucky's 4th congressional district, where Thomas Massie (himself a slightly unusual character) was seeking -- and now has won -- his party's nomination.

Could he have done it without Ramsey? Not likely. There's still a general election to be won, but, already, the Ramsey-Massie tag team is calling into question much of the conventional wisdom about money and politics:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamespo.../#1ed366ab1b53

He met Mr. Bates on the Paul campaign, and in March they incorporated Liberty for All with nearly $1 million of Mr. Ramsey’s money. More than half of it went into Kentucky’s Fourth District in a whoosh of advertising. The impact has been significant.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/u...her-races.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/john...entucky-2012-5

Pretty amazing/not at all surprising you don't know this.
    Interesting, no I had not heard that before. But then again I wasn't involved in his Congressional race really.

Regardless though, that amount of money is a drop in the bucket to Thomas.

Regardless though, that amount of money is a drop in the bucket to Thomas.
    Why would a hardworking individual donate their hard earned money to a campaign that considers a $900k donation a drop in the bucket?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Why would a hardworking individual donate their hard earned money to a campaign that considers a $900k donation a drop in the bucket?

Read it was 200k more than the rest of the six person field spent combined. And it doesn't include his official campaign contributions which were $1 million.

He's never raised even close to 900k in an election cycle since after he first got in office. A little 600k for his first reelection cycle is next closest. Currently at $120k for 2020 https://www.opensecrets.org/members-...le=2020&type=I

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast