Thread: One in Five BitCoins Has Not Been Touched in Five or More Years

One in Five BitCoins Has Not Been Touched in Five or More Years

Like that jar of pennies in the closet. More than one in four have not been touched in the last three years.

https://bitinfocharts.com/top-100-do...addresses.html

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitco...-all-time-high

The amount of Bitcoin (BTC) that has not been moved for at least five years is at an all-time high, reports cryptocurrency data website Coinmetrics on July 23.

Is hodling currently at its highest?

Per the report, the amount of BTC held in a single address unmoved for at least five years recently reached its all-time high. More precisely, on July 19, the number of coins meeting this requirement reached 3,847,859 BTC.

Coinmetrics claims that this suggests that Bitcoin is increasingly becoming a store of value, as opposed to a medium of exchange. Coinmetrics further calculated that the previously specified number of coins amount to 21.6% of the total supply, which is also a five-year-high.
    People may also be abandoning more AltCoins and dumping them for BitCoin.

Altcoins see more losses and fewer gains than BTC

Per the report, while Bitcoin has seen two peaks (one at $13,800, another one at $13,000) before two sharp corrections, altcoins have seen less upside movements and far more losses. While Bitcoin has reportedly lost about 2% of its value, Ethereum (ETH) has seen a 28% decrease, Litecoin (LTC) 32%, Ripple (XRP) 31%, Bitcoin Cash (BCH) 38%, and EOS 44%.

The movement of crypto capital from altcoins to Bitcoin, according to Coinmetrics, is partly motivated by the increasing crypto regulatory turmoil in the United States The analysis cites the Commodity Futures Trading Commission investigation into crypto exchange BitMex, and the Securities and Exchange Commission lawsuit against the Kin Foundation over the Kin token as examples.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-24-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You wouldn't want to handle your Bitcoins unless they were in airtite containers.

HODL

Probably don't want to touch them until it blows up again.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

BitCoin is a small group of people trying to sell to each other at a higher price. About ten percent of the US owns any bitcoin (I found estimates from 9% to 11%). https://www.rttnews.com/2997766/9-of...in-survey.aspx

And of that ten percent, 90% have a tenth of a coin or less (less than one percent of the US population has more than a tenth of one bitcoin). https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018...-mostly-empty/

Recent analysis run by digital asset research firm Delphi found 22.9 million Bitcoin addresses currently hold some Bitcoin (as in, more than none).

Uncomfortably, nearly half contain less than 0.001 BTC ($3.40), and almost 90 percent hold less than one-tenth of a BTC ($340).

While there certainly are more than 1.5 million Bitcoin addresses with over $1,000 in BTC, these holders account for less than 7 percent of all Bitcoin addresses.

By comparison, there are only 588 addresses that house more than $10 million worth of BTC.

For reference, this is less than the maximum capacity of a Boeing 747, meaning we could totally fit Bitcoin‘s richest onto a single airplane, right now.
    About 7,500 "BitCoin Millionaires" in the entire world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    "There is always a tweet. That has become accepted fact in the Trump presidency: For every pronouncement the President makes, there is at least one tweet from his past that directly contradicts his current view." -CNN

I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.