Thread: On Regulation, Trump Exceeds His Campaign Promises

On Regulation, Trump Exceeds His Campaign Promises

Candidate Donald Trump famously promised to get rid of two federal regulations for every new one. With 2 1/2 years in office under his belt, he has vastly exceeded that standard. Paul Bedard reports:
    It was an odd, geeky campaign promise for a populist presidential candidate to make. But when Donald Trump in 2016 pledged to kill two Obama-era regulations for every new one, crowds went wild.
    Those cheers stuck with him when he moved into the White House, and he put his promise into an executive order. And now as he opens his reelection campaign, Russ Vought, acting budget office director, has delivered the results sure to win even more rally cheers.
    “We’ve hit 13 to 1,” he told a Heritage Foundation conference on federalism. And cutting so many regulations, he added, has saved taxpayers $33 billion.
    My guess is that number is low.
    Departments and agencies including the departments of Labor, Education, Agriculture, and the Environmental Protection Agency have led the war on regulations, according to federal reports.
    When I talk to business people about taxes and regulation, it is striking how often they emphasize counterproductive regulations. Lower taxes are good, definitely, but over-regulation is just as important a problem. That is the input I get, anyway. Cutting regulations is one area where the Trump administration has succeeded beyond any reasonable expectation.

More at: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...n-promises.php
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

In before Zippy’s chart.
    “When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it”~~ Frederic Bastiat

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

love trumps hate!
    in before jidf

@devil21

You've asked me about this a few times.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Reducing regulations is something every libertarian should be to cheer. If someone's TDS stops them from celebrating this, they are in a really bad place.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    @devil21

You've asked me about this a few times.
    I have. And like your previous claims, the write-ups contain no details whatsoever, just assertions that sound a lot like campaign rhetoric. What can I say? I like information and details, not words from lips of politicians.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I have. And like your previous claims, the write-ups contain no details whatsoever, just assertions that sound a lot like campaign rhetoric. What can I say? I like information and details, not words from lips of politicians.
    Which is why I linked you to this thread.

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This is an uplifting story, thanks you for sharing this. News like this is a bright spot in the sea of non-stop attacks on MAGA's credibility on pre-election promises and his trustworthiness by some pesky purist conservatives/extremists like Drudge, Coulter, Wash Examiner, Tea Party leaders, GOA/NRA leadership/Richard Spencer etc.

As time passes and people get more educated about MAGA's record, common perceptions about his stature as a trustworthy leader should improve:

Poll: How much trust do you put in current President's promises and statements?

Hopefully more encouraging news on other promises (Drain the swamp, elimination of big gummit spending/debt etc ) coming in next 2 years.

Which is why I linked you to this thread.
    Be sure to let me know when the information and details starts to appear. Thx.

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Be sure to let me know when the information and details starts to appear. Thx.
    They are in the OP.

Also, did you hear Trump nuked the deep state?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...the-Deep-State

They are in the OP.

Also, did you hear Trump nuked the deep state?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...the-Deep-State
    Come on dannno, there's not one iota of details in the OP's link. How much are they paying you to post this nonsense?

Come on dannno, there's not one iota of details in the OP's link. How much are they paying you to post this nonsense?
    There are plenty of details in the OP.

They are right. When the govt. says the regulations will only cost tax payers $2 billion, you can count on it costing them at least $10 billion. If they are estimating these regulations save tax payers $30 billion, you can bet it is probably at least double that and maybe $100 billion or more.

Cutting 13 regulations for every single regulation being added is a fantastic feat for a non-libertarian President.

There are plenty of details in the OP.

They are right. When the govt. says the regulations will only cost tax payers $2 billion, you can count on it costing them at least $10 billion. If they are estimating these regulations save tax payers $30 billion, you can bet it is probably at least double that and maybe $100 billion or more.

Cutting 13 regulations for every single regulation being added is a fantastic feat for a non-libertarian President.
    Ignoring that 13 and 33 are numbers that are commonly inserted into fake news articles to signal that they are, indeed, fake news, I see no details to back up those numbers in the OP or the OP's derivative link. In other words, show me some examples of the "13" that saved "33".

Those cheers stuck with him when he moved into the White House, and he put his promise into an executive order. And now as he opens his reelection campaign, Russ Vought, acting budget office director, has delivered the results sure to win even more rally cheers.

“We’ve hit 13 to 1,” he told a Heritage Foundation conference on federalism. And cutting so many regulations, he added, has saved taxpayers $33 billion.
    It's rare for Trump to make exaggerated claims, so I assume what his acting budget office director says is true since I don't know how you verify it.

Other than tariffs, Trump is a fairly typical Republican president in terms of policy.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.