Thread: California city set to ban gendered words like 'manhole' and 'manpower'

California city set to ban gendered words like 'manhole' and 'manpower'

No, not a joke.

David Knowles Editor
    Yahoo News • July 18, 2019

The City Council in Berkeley, Calif., voted this week to ban gender-specific words in the liberal city’s municipal code, clearing the way for the changes to become official.

As a result of the vote on the proposed ordinance, the word “manhole” would be changed to “maintenance hole” in city documents, the news site Berkeleyside reported. “Human effort” would be substituted for the word “manpower,” and “sorority” or “fraternity” would be changed to “collegiate Greek system residence.”

When introduced, the authors of the new ordinance wrote that they were putting the measure forth so as to “promote equality.”

“Amending the municipal code to include gender-neutral pronouns by eliminating any gender preference language within the municipal code will promote equality,” according to text explaining the rationale.

The measure has been placed on the city’s consent calendar, which means it is expected to be approved without further debate. Berkeley would then ban printed references in its municipal code to “policemen” and “craftsmen,” substituting the words “police officer” and “craftspeople” instead.

The new ordinance would eliminate the use of masculine and feminine pronouns in the municipal code. Instead of “he” and “she,” the city will use “they” and “them.”

Under the heading "Gender," the amended code will read as follows:

“Whenever a personal pronoun is used in the neutral gender, it shall be deemed to include the feminine and masculine also. ‘They/them’ shall indicate a singular individual, unless the context indicates the contrary.”

The estimated cost for implementing the new ordinance is $600, the city said.

Council member Rigel Robinson, who proposed the new measure, celebrated the vote.

Tonight, Berkeley City Council adopted first reading of an ordinance responding to my proposal revising the municipal code to include gender neutral pronouns. There is power in language. This is a small move, but it matters. #berkmtg https://t.co/njo58NYgNw

https://news.yahoo.com/berkeley-bans...195405363.html

comments

Jeff 2 days ago
    A city's MANagement has a MANdate to generate an environment that is inclusive of all 227 genders, as well as the 14 non-official pseudo-genders.
    FJB

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Places to avoid.

What about Horse power ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    What about Horse power ?
    ^^^^^^ Transphobic! ^^^^^^^^

manifest destiny? Bet even the Injun objects to that.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    manifest destiny? Bet even the Injun objects to that.
    Caldestiny will replace it . Soon I will reign again over a larger empire.
    Do something Danke

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Black Hole

Maternity clothes , this one is unconscionable , it suggests a pregnant WOMAN. ACCKK!!!!

It honestly amazes me how people can get so triggered over stupid things like this.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    If that dick thinks tucker is a goblin imagine what he would think of you.
    Do something Danke

Mine as well just make this a Berkley page....

They have banned Natural Gas.

----

Daniel Turner: California's latest descent into liberal madness – Berkeley bans natural gas

In the latest chapter of California’s descent into liberal madness, the city of Berkeley – a hotbed of radical liberalism – became the first city in America to ban natural gas from new homes and businesses, including restaurants that use natural gas for stoves.

---

Just look to our friends in Europe to see how damaging eco-policies can be. Citizens of Germany and Denmark, for instance, face electric rates around three times that of America.
    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/dani...mes-businesses
    FJB

If that dick thinks tucker is a goblin imagine what he would think of you.
    Imagine what I think of him...
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Mine as well just make this a Berkley page....

They have banned Natural Gas.

----

Daniel Turner: California's latest descent into liberal madness – Berkeley bans natural gas

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/dani...mes-businesses
    No brother this deserves it's own thread.

According to the story 50 other CA towns are set to do the same.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    All's good, this'n has traction!

Soon I will reign again over a larger empire.
    Be sure to get the proper permits .
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Be sure to get the proper permits .
    I have my permit .
    Do something Danke

In Germany and Denmark my monthly electric bill would be around 600 probably with natural gas water heater , stove and furnace but using wood heat ( so pretty much just lighting , fridges , freezers, microwave , dishwasher , AC etc ) , or slightly more than my previous two house payments were ea month, where I last lived at , around 1200 a month ( bigger farm , more outbuildings ). Caldestiny
    Last edited by oyarde; 07-21-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Imagine what I think of him...
    I can only imagine what would happen if you met him face to face.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I can only imagine what would happen if you met him face to face.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    It honestly amazes me how people can get so triggered over stupid things like this.
    They've never experienced any ACTUAL hardships or real challenges in their lives, so they make up stuff to be upset over. These people are the weakest of the weak in our society. Intellectually, emotionally, physically. They've spent their lives leisurely swimming with the current, going with the flow, not thinking for theirselves, choosing the easy way. Can't imagine what would happen if the S actually HTF. These people would be the first to just curl up in a fetal position and die. Oh well, more food and supplies for us. lol.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    They've never experienced any ACTUAL hardships or real challenges in their lives, so they make up stuff to be upset over. These people are the weakest of the weak in our society. Intellectually, emotionally, physically. They've spent their lives leisurely swimming with the current, going with the flow, not thinking for theirselves, choosing the easy way. Can't imagine what would happen if the S actually HTF. These people would be the first to just curl up in a fetal position and die. Oh well, more food and supplies for us. lol.
    Exactly. Theres legitimate things out there that are reasonable to be mad about and people just want to get triggered over things that are stupid,unreasonable, and irrelevant. Then those people wonder why nobody takes them seriously.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 07-21-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Calvin Coolidge